GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   UNC-CH DKE president shot, killed by police (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=106980)

I.C. a Pi Phi 08-24-2009 11:28 AM

UNC-CH DKE president shot, killed by police

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1660146.html

UNC student shot, killed by police

FROM STAFF REPORTS
Published: Mon, Aug. 24, 2009 09:38AM

Modified Mon, Aug. 24, 2009 09:49AM

CHAPEL HILL -- A 20-year-old man shot by police in Randolph County Sunday morning has been identified as Courtland Smith, a junior biology major and fraternity president at UNC Chapel Hill from Texas, The Daily Tar Heel reports.

Smith was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m. after being admitted to High Point Regional Hospital, according to the campus newspaper.
Smith, president of the UNC chapter of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, reportedly was shot and killed by an Archdale police officer after a confrontation on Interstate 85 in Randolph County.

The Archdale Police Department released a statement that says officers made a traffic stop on the interstate about 4:54 a.m. Sunday after getting a call from a man who said he was suicidal.

"Once the vehicle came to a stop, a confrontation ensued and an Archdale Police Officer shot the subject," the statement said. The release did not say whether the man, identified only as white and his his early 20s, had a weapon.

The Police Department has not released the name of the man who was shot. The N.C. State Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the incident.
In a statement, UNC-CH officials acknowledged learning of the death of the student but said they had no additional details.

srmom 08-24-2009 02:27 PM

This is so sad! He graduated from my older son's highschool, great student, outgoing kid, was a big wrestler - ranked in the city, just a really great guy.

I got an email from the school requesting prayers for the family, his little brother just graduated in May. I cannot imagine what they are going through today - he seemingly had everything going for him, and to have this happen. It's unbelievably tragic.:(

honeychile 08-24-2009 02:43 PM

My sincerest sympathy for the family, brothers, and friends of Courtland Smith. Such a tragic loss for all involved.

ThetaDancer 08-24-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srmom (Post 1839192)
This is so sad! He graduated from my older son's highschool, great student, outgoing kid, was a big wrestler - ranked in the city, just a really great guy.

I got an email from the school requesting prayers for the family, his little brother just graduated in May. I cannot imagine what they are going through today - he seemingly had everything going for him, and to have this happen. It's unbelievably tragic.:(

This is so tragic. I am sending up prayers for his family and friends.

tangelo212 08-24-2009 03:20 PM

It's absolutely awful. I picked up a copy of the Daily Tar Heel today, and to read such tragic news the day before classes start is heartbreaking.

I was stopped by an NBC reporter today on campus asking if I knew him (I didn't).

My thoughts go out to Courtland Smith's family and his DKE brothers.

ETA: Apparently the officer who shot him is Jeremy Paul Flinchum.

From the Daily Tar Heel website:

The State Bureau of Investigation has identified the officer who shot junior Courtland Smith on Sunday as Jeremy Paul Flinchum.
Flinchum’s status with the police department is unknown.
Flinchum, 29, stopped Smith’s car on Interstate 85 in Archdale, about 15 miles south of Greensboro. Flinchum was responding to a 911 call from Smith, who told dispatchers that he was suicidal and needed help.
A press release Sunday from Archdale Police said the officer shot Smith after a confrontation.

ladygreek 08-24-2009 03:36 PM

Suicide by cop?

SydneyK 08-24-2009 04:08 PM

What a tragic story. Deepest sympathies to all who will miss Courtland.

pbear19 08-24-2009 04:10 PM

Which reminds me that I wanted to post that my sympathies go out not just to Courtland Smith and his family/brothers/friends, but also to the officer and his family. Life will never be the same on either side, and there are certainly no winners, regardless of the circumstances.

KSUViolet06 08-24-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbear19 (Post 1839235)
Which reminds me that I wanted to post that my sympathies go out not just to Courtland Smith and his family/brothers/friends, but also to the officer and his family. Life will never be the same on either side, and there are certainly no winners, regardless of the circumstances.

This.

MysticCat 08-25-2009 09:18 AM

More recent stories from the Raleigh News and Observer, The Daily Tar Heel and the Greensboro News and Record.

I particularly liked the end of the Daily Tar Heel story:
Several campus Greek organizations put off rush events Monday night and will decide later this week about other plans to remember Smith. Some are doing small favors such as donating flowers or cooking dinner for his fraternity.

“Rush is the least of our worries,” said sophomore William White, a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. “We’re more worried about our friends next door and being there for them.”

jennyj87 08-25-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 1839519)
More recent stories from the Raleigh News and Observer, The Daily Tar Heel and the Greensboro News and Record.

I particularly liked the end of the Daily Tar Heel story:
Several campus Greek organizations put off rush events Monday night and will decide later this week about other plans to remember Smith. Some are doing small favors such as donating flowers or cooking dinner for his fraternity.

“Rush is the least of our worries,” said sophomore William White, a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. “We’re more worried about our friends next door and being there for them.”

This whole event is so sad. I like that they stopped rush events. What great greek unity.

DEVODUDE 08-25-2009 02:11 PM

THIS IS EXTREMELY SAD TO HEAR THIS HAPPEN TO SUCH A FINE YOUNG MAN. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE SMITH FAMILY AND TO THE BROTHERS OF DELTA KAPPA EPSILON.

ZBT:"Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."

Jimmy Choo 08-25-2009 09:25 PM

Very tragic indeed. :(

MysticCat 08-26-2009 03:26 PM

A short update from the Raleigh News and Observer and a tribute/update from The Daily Tar Heel.

ETA: Here is a longer update with a longer description of the 911 call from the Greensboro News and Record. Sad.

CougarGrad 08-26-2009 11:55 PM

How awful. Prayers for everyone involved and their families/friends- what a sad situation.