GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   First Time on the Other Side: an Active (Liveish) Recruitment Story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135889)

GammaPhiAud 09-06-2013 11:35 AM

The Other Side: an Active (Liveish) Recruitment Story

Hey everyone! So tonight is the start of formal recruitment at BGSU!! This will be my first time recruiting girls during formal, so naturally, I'm freaking out. But I'm also very excited. I've decided to post about my experience here, just for funzies, and maybe to show anyone who will be in my position soon my experience.
Obviously I will not share PNM names or details that may out them. But I, in the end, will share the results of my chapter, and (to the best of my ability) the results of the other chapters.
Unfortunately, BG lost a chapter due to them and their nationals having a major disagreement. So now we only have 12 Panhellenic sororities on campus.
The chapters on campus are:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Phi
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Chi Omega
Sigma Kappa

This year, formal is EXTREMELY different than previous years. Instead of being on long weekend, they have changed it to 2 shorter weekends, with bid day being its own day. Here is the schedule:

Sept 6- Union round; meet and greet, day 1
Sept 7- Union round; meet and greet, day 2
Sept 8- House tours/Sisterhood round
Sept 13- Philanthropy round
Sept 14- Pref Parties
Sept 15- Bid Day!!!

Alright, I'll be here tonight to tell you about the first day!! :)

AOII Angel 09-06-2013 11:44 AM

This should be fun!

joliebelle 09-06-2013 11:51 AM

Good luck to Gamma Phi and the other chapters at BGSU!

amIblue? 09-06-2013 02:25 PM

Good luck and have fun.

WCsweet<3 09-06-2013 02:37 PM

Good luck!

BGKdLady 09-06-2013 04:58 PM

Woo hoo! A Falcon recruitment story! Thanks for sharing! So sad to hear of the demise of the old sorority houses, but I'm sure the new housing will be fantastic!

GammaPhiAud 09-06-2013 09:17 PM

Okay, so day 1 of union rounds is over! We saw 6 Rho Gamma groups today, and almost every girl I met tonight was a delight. I had a lot in common with each girl and only 1 time was there awkwardness, and it was with a girl who was going through rush for the third time. Obviously she had a sorority in mind that she wanted but I still tried to keep the conversation going. Our chapter president said that every PNM looked so happy during the round and she heard a lot of girls say that they loved us. Hoping that's a good sign!!!! =) Day 2 of round 1 starts tomorrow at 10am!!!

AOII Angel 09-06-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaPhiAud (Post 2237195)
Okay, so day 1 of union rounds is over! We saw 6 Rho Gamma groups today, and almost every girl I met tonight was a delight. I had a lot in common with each girl and only 1 time was there awkwardness, and it was with a girl who was going through rush for the third time. Obviously she had a sorority in mind that she wanted but I still tried to keep the conversation going. Our chapter president said that every PNM looked so happy during the round and she heard a lot of girls say that they loved us. Hoping that's a good sign!!!! =) Day 2 of round 1 starts tomorrow at 10am!!!

I hope that she wasn't that closed minded going through for the THIRD time! What a recipe for heartache!

GammaPhiAud 09-07-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2237213)
I hope that she wasn't that closed minded going through for the THIRD time! What a recipe for heartache!

I know! I really hope she had an open mind, but it seemed like she knew where she wanted to be, so who knows!

GammaPhiAud 09-07-2013 02:21 PM

Alright!! We saw the remaining 6 groups today, so Round 1 is officially over!!! That was pretty stressful but also a lot of fun!! I talked to many wonderful ladies today, and some of them I really thought would be a great fit for my chapter. Of course there were a few girls who I was struggling to converse with, due to them giving one word answers or seeming very uninterested, but there were more awesome conversations than not-so-great ones. One girl I met was SO enthusiastic and awesome, and I really clicked with her well. I'm keepin her in my mind and hope to see her tomorrow at house tours!! =)

My friends in other chapters are telling me that they are having a great time recruiting this year as well. That so far is all I've heard.

So far, so good!! :)

Sciencewoman 09-07-2013 02:36 PM

Good luck to your chapter! I saw that you have a capital campaign underway for new housing! How exciting! And you're chapter sisters with International President Krista Davis!!

GammaPhiAud 09-07-2013 04:56 PM

Yep! I love the fact that I'm chapter sisters with Krista!! She is coming to speak about the new Greek housing and I'm hoping to get a picture with her :)

aephi alum 09-07-2013 06:56 PM

Sounds like everything is going well so far!

I'm curious, though - what is being done to accommodate Jewish PNMs? Yom Kippur is next Saturday.

BGKdLady 09-07-2013 07:20 PM

GaamaPhiAud - not to hijack, but is all the sorority housing being torn down and redone? Will it be in the same area? I lived in the KD house for 2 years and loved every minute of it. Some of my good friends were Gamma Phi Betas. Enjoy recruitment!

GammaPhiAud 09-07-2013 09:19 PM

aephi alum - I'm not exactly sure...I have some sisters that are Jewish but they haven't mentioned anything...I could ask, though, if you're wondering! :)

BGKDLady - Yep! After this school year, BGSU is tearing down all of the sorority and fraternity houses, and I believe also the Conklin Residence Hall, and making one giant Greek Row where the frat houses and Conklin are. I currently live in the house, and I have been since Spring semester '13, and I've loved it. It's going to be sad to see the houses go, but it feels like an honor to be in the last group of girls to live in the house. :D

Oh, by the way, here is our table, if anyone wants to see it! I was in charge of decorating it :) I'll keep it as just a link just in case though!
http://imageshack.us/a/img153/9038/a9ne.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2366/kerw.jpg