GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Up & Coming National GLOs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Expansion and Unmbrella organizations (such as NIC, NPC, etc) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=9612)

PhoenixGrad 08-22-2000 11:30 AM

Expansion and Unmbrella organizations (such as NIC, NPC, etc)

There are several small sororities out there that a having a real hard time getting established on many campuses because they are not members of "established" greek councils, such as NIC, NPC, CHNL, and NAFLO (the last two are councils for Latino organziations). How do you handle this? Are there growing councils out there which are accepting members? How do they gain credibility?

Asia2000 08-22-2000 01:21 PM

On my campus, we have a multicultural greek council that the latino greeks fall under. We hope to join them eventually. We've already spoken with the director, so they know we exist.

ZChi4Life 08-22-2000 01:30 PM

sctroy,
That is pretty much how it is at my school. We are recognized as a sorority, but we can't participate in events that are in part w/ NPC/IFC/NPHC orgs (i.e. Greek Week, Greek Move-in, etc). It kinda sucks I guess, but not really. Since we are independent, we don't have to meet the guidelines of the councils or pay extra money to be a part of it (I'm not sure if orgs have to pay to be a part of these councils or not...I'm just saying). Also, the fact that we are multicultural makes us hestitant about wanting to be a part of them anyway. Well as far as the NPC goes, I think we don't even qualify because we don't have enough chapters and are not apart of the actual NPC or whatever. THen for the groups in the NPHC (they're actually under another name cuz there's a local group that is a part of the council), they are predominantly, historically black. So for us to be a part of their council, well we'd be defeating our purpose since we are a multicultural org. Soooo, we remain independent.

I am actually thinking of forming some type of council for all the independent greeks but I'm not sure of how I want it to run yet. I don't want it to be something where people would have to pay dues or anything. Nor do I want it to be something where we'd be setting guidelines for orgs to follow (ie. restrictions against having a program on someone's founder's day--you know, not exactly that but stuff like that). I just want something--perhaps a semesterly forum--in which we could come together and talk about events and stuff, ya know? Like say if an org is having a type of fundraiser and needed co-sponsors,the forum would be a way to talk about it and ask for help. I think it would be awesome cuz I hate when orgs end up having like 4-5 programs on ONE day! I always think that if they all knew, they could avoid that or at least try to. What ya'll think about that?

BFulton 08-22-2000 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZChi4Life:

I am actually thinking of forming some type of council for all the independent greeks but I'm not sure of how I want it to run yet. I don't want it to be something where people would have to pay dues or anything. Nor do I want it to be something where we'd be setting guidelines for orgs to follow (ie. restrictions against having a program on someone's founder's day--you know, not exactly that but stuff like that). I just want something--perhaps a semesterly forum--in which we could come together and talk about events and stuff, ya know? Like say if an org is having a type of fundraiser and needed co-sponsors,the forum would be a way to talk about it and ask for help. I think it would be awesome cuz I hate when orgs end up having like 4-5 programs on ONE day! I always think that if they all knew, they could avoid that or at least try to. What ya'll think about that?

I say, "Why Not Try?" http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif You could perhaps just ask the various non-affiliated GLOs (multi-cultural, professional, etc.) what their level of interest in such a council might be and give it a shot. Even meeting once a month to let the other organizations know what each group is planning, what they need help with, etc. would be a great start!

BFulton 08-22-2000 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sctroy:
My sorority is a member of the PFA (Professional Fraternal Association) however, they do not have established councils at the universities. This issue has caused a lot of headaches for us. What we have done is different at every school. Some schools require all sororities to be in NPC (or another council if on campus). Some school won't allow us to be part of greek life activities because we are not in NPC. At some schools we are not recognized by greek life but are recognized as a sorority or just a recognized organization for women. The key is to have a good faculty advisor that will tell you what is best at that campus.
We've experienced the same things - all the way from full members of the Greek council to no recognition from that group.

sctroy - it would be fun to exchange stories sometime! Drop me an e-mail if you have a chance sometime - we belong to very similar organizations (different fields)!

Rain Man 08-22-2000 05:14 PM

Have you tried the National Greek Alliance?

It was formed last year with the governing bodies primarily non-NPHC Black GLOs, but if you look into it, I don't see why they wouldn't accept multicultural GLOs into the fold, especially since they couldn't or wouldn't join the NPHC.

The website is www.angelfire.com/nj2/unity
The email address is greek_unity@hotmail.com

Good luck to all of you.
Da Rain Man

[This message has been edited by Rain Man (edited August 22, 2000).]

PhoenixGrad 08-22-2000 06:31 PM

Thanks, Rain Man, for the info. I'll take a loook at it. Does anyone know of any other national umbrella organizations?

ZChi4Life 08-22-2000 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BFulton:
I say, "Why Not Try?" http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif You could perhaps just ask the various non-affiliated GLOs (multi-cultural, professional, etc.) what their level of interest in such a council might be and give it a shot. Even meeting once a month to let the other organizations know what each group is planning, what they need help with, etc. would be a great start!
BF, I totally agree that I should try. BUT, there are reasons for me not acting it on it at this point.
1) Our chapter has a LOT of things going on this semester. If I started this, I'd want to do it this year sometime. But my sisters and I are trying to plan a lot of big events (ie. fashion show, step show, our Founders Week) plus we're having Rush both semesters. We just don't really have time to do it this year. This thought of mine was something I came up w/ like last month and we've already had our calendar planned since March! So had I thought of this earlier, there would be no problem http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

2) Well how bout next year, you ask? Well, I'm graduating in December. BUT that doesn't mean my sisters can't do it. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Which is something they probably will try to set up. They know I want to start it and they all believe it would be beneficial. So they will probably start trying to initiate it next year or at the end of this year. I'll be around though, so I can help. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif But as for us doing it now, hmmm, we just have so much to do already. We actually might be cutting some smaller programs out cuz we really want to get our bigger events off the ground. So much to do, so little time http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 23, 2000).]

sctroy 08-23-2000 12:56 AM

My sorority is a member of the PFA (Professional Fraternal Association) however, they do not have established councils at the universities. This issue has caused a lot of headaches for us. What we have done is different at every school. Some schools require all sororities to be in NPC (or another council if on campus). Some school won't allow us to be part of greek life activities because we are not in NPC. At some schools we are not recognized by greek life but are recognized as a sorority or just a recognized organization for women. The key is to have a good faculty advisor that will tell you what is best at that campus.

BFulton 08-23-2000 08:03 AM

ZChi4Life ,

Oops! That sounded wrong - like I was saying you personally should do it! Sounds like your plate is plenty full already! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

As another thought for your chapter, would it be possible to start a method of letting the other groups just know what each has planned - like by e-mailing semester activities calendars to each chapter's president?

ZChi4Life 08-23-2000 01:01 PM

BF,
That is a possibility. That's what I had in mind actually. I wanted it to start off w/ something small and then eventually make it into something like that of an actual council. But that's exactly what I was thinking of to begin with. I'm still thinking about how the best way to implement it would be. We have some shady acting people in some of the orgs, so I don't know. Some people would probably think we were trying to be in their business or something! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif But thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully we can get something together. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by BFulton:
ZChi4Life ,

Oops! That sounded wrong - like I was saying you personally should do it! Sounds like your plate is plenty full already! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

As another thought for your chapter, would it be possible to start a method of letting the other groups just know what each has planned - like by e-mailing semester activities calendars to each chapter's president?

sctroy 08-25-2000 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZChi4Life:
sctroy,
That is pretty much how it is at my school. We are recognized as a sorority, but we can't participate in events that are in part w/ NPC/IFC/NPHC orgs (i.e. Greek Week, Greek Move-in, etc). It kinda sucks I guess, but not really. Since we are independent, we don't have to meet the guidelines of the councils or pay extra money to be a part of it (I'm not sure if orgs have to pay to be a part of these councils or not...I'm just saying). Also, the fact that we are multicultural makes us hestitant about wanting to be a part of them anyway. Well as far as the NPC goes, I think we don't even qualify because we don't have enough chapters and are not apart of the actual NPC or whatever. THen for the groups in the NPHC (they're actually under another name cuz there's a local group that is a part of the council), they are predominantly, historically black. So for us to be a part of their council, well we'd be defeating our purpose since we are a multicultural org. Soooo, we remain independent.

We are the same as you in the fact that it isn't a bad thing that we are associated with NPC at some schools. At the schools we are associated with the Greek Council, we have a good relationship. At the other schools, there are several reasons that we don't want to be a part of them. That is another issue for another day. Also for us replace multiculture with professional and the same thing applies to us - it would defeat our purpose to be associated with the some of the social groups. So we also remain mostly independent.

MsDGP007 08-10-2001 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sctroy:
At the schools we are associated with the Greek Council, we have a good relationship. At the other schools, there are several reasons that we don't want to be a part of them. That is another issue for another day. Also for us replace multiculture with professional and the same thing applies to us - it would defeat our purpose to be associated with the some of the social groups. So we also remain mostly independent.
I totally hear what you are saying. One issue that arises from this is the cost/gain of the organizations credibility level. Now in reality, it's not affected, but a GLO is just seen different if it's not in the IFC/NPC/NPHC. It a 'professional' org or just a club (so it seems to the unknowing interested student). It also can be seen that way by other more established Greeks.

So why we strive to be independent to be true to ourselves & goals...we get the 'fake Greek' stigma sometimes for it and constantly vie to prove ourselves.

Are there any easy answers to this? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif

equeen 08-12-2001 10:41 AM

No easy answers, MsDGP007, except to always educate others (greeks and non-greeks) about your organization.

I recently got a compliment (she meant it as such, anyway) from one of my oldest friends, who is on principle against greeks (particularly fraternities) and greek life. (Paradoxically, she thinks a fraternity isn't a real fraternity unless they have a house and keggers every week). Her compliment was this: "Well, I respect you and your sorority, equeen, because it's not one of those real sororities." She also thinks that any unhoused greek organization is not a "real" greek organization. My greek organization is fake because we don't have a house, but we're "OK in her book" because we're not "superficial" like other sororities?

WHAT??

That's more a slap in the face (both to my organization as well as others) than a compliment, if you ask me.

------------------

@-->---
12 Years of the Pride!
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies

Eirene_DGP 10-10-2001 09:58 AM

Multicultural Greek Council

I am in the process of making a seperate greek council for our two MC organizations on-campus because we are not included in anything pertaining to the other greeks. In a way that is good because we do not have to pay any dues and just follow the state laws in regards to hazing. I would never try to put our org under the rules of NPC although their advisor has asked us to do it Unoffically and she would just "oversee" us. The benefit of a MC council is it includes all other ethnic and local organizations being that it is MC.