GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   "Sex Toys R Us" event at Cal State LA cancelled (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=145940)

ChioLu 02-06-2015 01:11 PM

"Sex Toys R Us" event at Cal State LA cancelled

This is not associated with a GLO but definitely inappropriate for an event to be held on a college campus.

http://laist.com/2015/02/04/cal_stat...toys_event.php

Maybe the planners were trying to ride the coattails of the movie "50 Shades of Gray".

clemsongirl 02-06-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2307074)
This is not associated with a GLO but definitely inappropriate for an event to be held on a college campus.

http://laist.com/2015/02/04/cal_stat...toys_event.php

Maybe the planners were trying to ride the coattails of the movie "50 Shades of Gray".

Why is this inappropriate? If all the students are over 18, there's nothing wrong with sex toys being sold on campus. They're perfectly legal. The school may not want to be associated with something they deem unsavory, but if it's registered with the schools Gender and Sexuality Resource center like the article says I don't see a problem with it.

DrPhil 02-06-2015 01:24 PM

I don't consider this inappropriate.

I wonder if this campus has annual performances of the Vagina Monologues.

DrPhil 02-06-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2307076)
Why is this inappropriate? If all the students are over 18, there's nothing wrong with sex toys being sold on campus. They're perfectly legal. The school may not want to be associated with something they deem unsavory, but if it's registered with the schools Gender and Sexuality Resource center like the article says I don't see a problem with it.

I agree.

Perhaps the event was to discuss the construction and implementation of sex. Different perceptions of sex (for the non-asexual) and the self-comfort deemed necessary to use sex toys (with or without a partner) or to masturbate. This event could've been more profound than a sex toys party at someone's house.

ChioLu 02-06-2015 01:37 PM

Would you feel different if your GLO were hosting?

DubaiSis 02-06-2015 01:38 PM

In the Intro to Human Sexuality class at Iowa they always took a field trip to a sex shop.

DrPhil 02-06-2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2307081)

No, I wouldn't feel different because of my views on sexuality, sexual activity, and gender.

But that chapter would get in trouble depending on the content of the event.

The name of the event is catchy however I would want a Delta chapter to choose a different name for the event. Sex toys are NOT us. Our Sorority doesn't specialize in sex toys. (Not because sex toys are shameful but because it isn't the Sorority's purpose and specialization.)

DeltaBetaBaby 02-06-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

No. I don't find sex to be something I should be ashamed of.

Sen's Revenge 02-06-2015 02:07 PM

I know an administrator at that school who is likely the boss of the GSRC and I will be talking to him about this because I am nosy as shit.

MysticCat 02-06-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge (Post 2307087)
. . . I am nosy as shit.

Only one of your many endearing traits.

33girl 02-06-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2307082)
In the Intro to Human Sexuality class at Iowa they always took a field trip to a sex shop.

We saw an extremely 1970s film in our Human Sex class.

Appropriate for a GLO to sponsor? No. Appropriate for the interhall council or the volleyball team to sponsor? No. Appropriate for the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center to sponsor? Yes. It's pretty much in their name.

Sciencewoman 02-06-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2307093)
Appropriate for a GLO to sponsor? No. Appropriate for the interhall council or the volleyball team to sponsor? No. Appropriate for the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center to sponsor? Yes. It's pretty much in their name.

Agreed.

amIblue? 02-06-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 2307084)
Sex toys are NOT us. Our Sorority doesn't specialize in sex toys. (Not because sex toys are shameful but because it isn't the Sorority's purpose and specialization.)

A sorority who specializes in sex toys. Sounds like every bad teen movie stereotype that you can think up. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge (Post 2307087)
I know an administrator at that school who is likely the boss of the GSRC and I will be talking to him about this because I am nosy as shit.

LOL. Let us know what you find out. :cool:

I don't think there's anything wrong with this on a college campus. A GLO isn't sponsoring it, so what's the big deal?

ETA: Dumb 18 year old bringing a flyer home where her mom could see it who called the news and ruined everyone's fun.

NinjaPoodle 02-06-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2307076)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 2307084)
No, I wouldn't feel different because of my views on sexuality, sexual activity, and gender.

But that chapter would get in trouble depending on the content of the event.

The name of the event is catchy however I would want a Delta chapter to choose a different name for the event. Sex toys are NOT us. Our Sorority doesn't specialize in sex toys. (Not because sex toys are shameful but because it isn't the Sorority's purpose and specialization.)

I agree on both points.

Quote:

No. I'm in agreement with Dr. Phil re: the chapter changing the name etc..

tld221 02-06-2015 06:52 PM

This seems to be an issue moreso because it's a public institution. I can't imagine Sex Toys R Us being a problem at a private school.