GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Methodist University suspends sorority following racist presentation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247952)

ASTalumna06 09-23-2021 02:29 PM

Methodist University suspends sorority following racist presentation

http://www.wral.com/methodist-univer...tion/19888085/

Quote:

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Methodist University has suspended a sorority as complaints mount on social media over a presentation last week at a sorority event that many found racist.

During the PowerPoint presentation, a member of Alpha Delta Pi rated pictures of Black players on last year's Methodist football team and pointed out features, such as dreadlocks, noses and lips that she found unattractive. The presentation was supposed to be funny, but few found humor in it.

"I don't see why something along the lines of this is funny. I don't see how it's funny," said Ja-Quez Harrell, a Methodist senior and former member of the football team who was sent a photo of the presentation the following day.

"With everybody that was there, how come nobody stopped it?" Harrell asked.

VioletCrush 09-23-2021 08:05 PM

I am so angry I can’t see straight. It took ADPi Nationals over ten days to publicly respond. It took them about 5 days to take action. How? Why? This incident was one of the most vile and hate filled of its kind.

And it wasn’t just one girl. She gave this presentation to other members. I don’t know how many, but I don’t think it was two or three. The whole chapter needs to be gone. They are currently suspended pending investigation. What is there to investigate?

We ALL need to do better. We cannot allow this to exist in our chapters (and I don’t think there are any orgs that have gone untouched by a racism scandal). We need them to take action for diversity and inclusion instead of a feel-good social media post. We need to teach these young women what to do when they are confronted by this and how to stand up to it. Enough is enough.

VioletsAreBlue 09-23-2021 08:19 PM

Why did it take so long? Lawyers and PR spokespeople. Gross, but I'm convinced that's why.

The student is right. How did nobody stop this?

I get that college students are sometimes more likely to go with the herd, not necessarily speak out. Or prefer to raise their objections quietly. But it's time we actively teach them how. to to be vocal advocates for the values that we claim to hold, in the moment. Otherwise this cycle continues. Greek organizations can and should lead the way in that.

TLLK 09-23-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VioletCrush (Post 2487108)
I am so angry I can’t see straight. It took ADPi Nationals over ten days to publicly respond. It took them about 5 days to take action. How? Why? This incident was one of the most vile and hate filled of its kind.

And it wasn’t just one girl. She gave this presentation to other members. I don’t know how many, but I don’t think it was two or three. The whole chapter needs to be gone. They are currently suspended pending investigation. What is there to investigate?

We ALL need to do better. We cannot allow this to exist in our chapters (and I don’t think there are any orgs that have gone untouched by a racism scandal). We need them to take action for diversity and inclusion instead of a feel-good social media post. We need to teach these young women what to do when they are confronted by this and how to stand up to it. Enough is enough.

Perfectly stated.

*winter* 09-23-2021 11:01 PM

Yes, they are students and still have a young mentality...but college is about educating and preparing tomorrow’s professionals. In a few short years, they will be out in the world, working in their professions. There are going to be times at work where you have to stand up for what’s right...even if you’re standing alone. What will they do them?

NoID 09-24-2021 11:27 AM

Have we not taught our daughters, granddaughters, nieces, and friends that no one has the right to shame another's natural features or choice of dress/expression?

As long as we allow them to follow the crowds, as long as we don't teach them that this is just another "choose the Vera Bradley because everyone else did", we won't teach them to think about WHY this is so very wrong.