GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   A Magical Recruitment Story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=153749)

howdy96 08-24-2015 06:26 PM

A Magical Recruitment Story

Hey y'all! I'm going through recruitment now at an SEC school (I know, I'm sure it's obvious which one) and I could not be more excited to find my home! Christ-centered community is so important to me, and I know I will find it within our unique Greek system. I've heard many rumors from older friends, but I'm going in open-minded and making opinions for myself. Of course I won't be posting til a day or two after each round, but I wanted to introduce you to the characters, who will be from my favorite book series, Harry Potter!

Uncle Vernon: My best friend's mom wrote my recommendation here, and I don't know anyone in this house.

Aunt Petunia: The girlfriend of one of my teachers just graduated from my school and was an Aunt Petunia, and she wrote my recommendation. I also know a couple girls in this house through freshman retreats.

Harry Potter: My grandmother was a Harry! She is excited for me, but also wants me to go wherever I feel at home. I only know one girl in this house from high school, but she did not have a great reputation at home, so I'm hesitant.

Hermione Granger: I know a couple girls in this house through camp connections, and a family friend of mine introduced me to a national officer for Hermione, who wrote my recommendation.

Ron Weasley: I don't know any girls in this house but have heard many good things, and the mother of a dear friend from church, who I am also close to, wrote my recommendation.

Neville Longbottom: I know several girls in this house through school and camp, and am very excited to visit! A friend of a friend wrote my recommendation for Neville.

Luna Lovegood: I don't know anyone personally in this house, but one of my favorite teachers wrote my recommendation.

Ginny Weasley: I don't know anyone in this house, and could not find a recommendation.

Hagrid: One of my very best friends is in this house! I can't wait to visit. A friend of my mom's from work wrote my recommendation.

Sirius Black: I don't know anyone in this house, and am slightly hesitant based on what I've heard. A friend of a friend wrote my recommendation here.

Professor McGonagall: I know a couple people in this house through camp, and a friend's mom wrote my recommendation.

Dumbledore: Many of my past camp counselors were Dumbledores, but all of them have graduated. Someone I look up to very much at church wrote my recommendation, and she was President of her chapter!

I'm so excited to finally share this "magical" experience with all of you!

KYKAT 08-24-2015 07:03 PM

Thanks for sharing. Good luck.

amillionlights 08-24-2015 07:09 PM

Howdy and best of luck to you! I'm excited to hear how it goes.

aephi alum 08-24-2015 07:14 PM

Best of luck!

I was wondering if there would be a Professor Umbridge :D

gogoaphi 08-24-2015 07:42 PM

Good luck. I met lots of girls from my high school that had joined chapters on my campus before I was a freshman. I was tempted to judge the house based on how I felt about those girls in high school. I found out that this was a mistake. The girls had grown, as 18-20 year olds tend to do. Also, those individuals don't really define the house. The social groups in college are different than high school. Unless someone was personally mean to you or something, you might want to hold your judgment. At least for now.

Sciencewoman 08-24-2015 08:29 PM

^^^ Good advice! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2328355)
Best of luck!

I was wondering if there would be a Professor Umbridge :D

Hahaha, that would be too "mean girls" stereotypical!

Wynter 08-24-2015 09:48 PM

Good luck!

cebrain 08-24-2015 09:59 PM

I love Harry Potter,best of luck!

jolene 08-24-2015 10:00 PM

Lurve recruitment stories. They're my version of crack. :D :D :D

howdy96 08-24-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogoaphi (Post 2328357)
Good luck. I met lots of girls from my high school that had joined chapters on my campus before I was a freshman. I was tempted to judge the house based on how I felt about those girls in high school. I found out that this was a mistake. The girls had grown, as 18-20 year olds tend to do. Also, those individuals don't really define the house. The social groups in college are different than high school. Unless someone was personally mean to you or something, you might want to hold your judgment. At least for now.

You're totally right! I'm definitely trying to be very open-minded and think of the big picture.

navane 08-24-2015 11:19 PM

What I really like is how you explained how you received your recs. We often explain to girls time and time again that they need to scour their network of friends, teachers, church members, etc for sorority connections. Your introduction post is a poster child for how it's done!

DGTess 08-25-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdy96 (Post 2328342)
Hey y'all! I'm going through recruitment now at an SEC school (I know, I'm sure it's obvious which one) and I could not be more excited to find my home! Christ-centered community is so important to me, and I know I will find it within our unique Greek system. I've heard many rumors from older friends, but I'm going in open-minded and making opinions for myself. Of course I won't be posting til a day or two after each round, but I wanted to introduce you to the characters, who will be from my favorite book series, Harry Potter!

Uncle Vernon: My best friend's mom wrote my recommendation here, and I don't know anyone in this house.

Aunt Petunia: The girlfriend of one of my teachers just graduated from my school and was an Aunt Petunia, and she wrote my recommendation. I also know a couple girls in this house through freshman retreats.

Harry Potter: My grandmother was a Harry! She is excited for me, but also wants me to go wherever I feel at home. I only know one girl in this house from high school, but she did not have a great reputation at home, so I'm hesitant.

Hermione Granger: I know a couple girls in this house through camp connections, and a family friend of mine introduced me to a national officer for Hermione, who wrote my recommendation.

Ron Weasley: I don't know any girls in this house but have heard many good things, and the mother of a dear friend from church, who I am also close to, wrote my recommendation.

Neville Longbottom: I know several girls in this house through school and camp, and am very excited to visit! A friend of a friend wrote my recommendation for Neville.

Luna Lovegood: I don't know anyone personally in this house, but one of my favorite teachers wrote my recommendation.

Ginny Weasley: I don't know anyone in this house, and could not find a recommendation.

Hagrid: One of my very best friends is in this house! I can't wait to visit. A friend of my mom's from work wrote my recommendation.

Sirius Black: I don't know anyone in this house, and am slightly hesitant based on what I've heard. A friend of a friend wrote my recommendation here.

Professor McGonagall: I know a couple people in this house through camp, and a friend's mom wrote my recommendation.

Dumbledore: Many of my past camp counselors were Dumbledores, but all of them have graduated. Someone I look up to very much at church wrote my recommendation, and she was President of her chapter!

I'm so excited to finally share this "magical" experience with all of you!

Probably the best introductory post I've read on GC; thank you

howdy96 08-25-2015 07:18 PM

Our first round is focused on the benefits of being Greek overall, and is split into two days, 6 houses on each day.

Uncle Vernon: These girls were so enthusiastic, and I can tell they work really hard to prepare for rush! Their house is beautiful and they are all put together, but not overly rehearsed. I had tons in common with the girl who picked me up, moreso than just high school interests, which I didn't expect. Conversation flowed so naturally and the girl was also very passionate about her faith. Loved talking to her, but not sure if I fit with the rest of the house. Would go back.

Aunt Petunia: Things were definitely less relaxed here. The girls were very sweet and faith is also important to them, but I felt like I was being sold something rather than them getting to know me as a person. Would still go back.

Harry: I wanted to love my legacy house, but the worst happened. The girl I knew from home picked me up, even though we didn't really get along in the past (she's only one year older). We did several activities together and our personalities do not click, and we have very different values. Conversation was awkward, and even when the President and the Recruitment Chair came up to me, they were awkward as well. I just don't relate to these girls and can't see myself fitting in here.

Hermione: I was surprised to love this house! We were immediately greeted being told that "above all they had been praying for us to find our home wherever that may be" which is an attitude that I totally share. Had good conversation with the girls here, and they're very involved on campus, which is important to me. I would love to come back here.

Ron: These girls are awesome and I didn't expect to love them as much as I did! Had great conversation with 4 girls, one of which we both were tearing up about how passionate we were about the same things! I would love to come back and felt so welcome here, but since I don't have connections, I won't be surprised if I get cut.

Neville: Oh my goodness, I loved this house! It feels so much like a home already. I can't explain the bond I immediately had with one girl over the importance of faith and community, and they have such a unique group in their house. I was called by name as I left the house, and was so filled with joy here. I would be so sad if I didn't come back.

Excited for the next part of round 1!

LouisaMay 08-25-2015 08:55 PM

Oh! I'm loving your thread! It is exciting to see a woman of faith taking on this experience.

ChioLu 08-26-2015 01:58 PM

Looking forward to hearing more of your recruitment journey!