GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

AOII Angel 09-15-2008 08:55 AM

No kidding!

ilovetheviolets 09-15-2008 06:04 PM

Recently I was at a school helping with recruitment. I went to a small school and went through recruitment in 2001, so I was surprised to see how things have changed fashion-wise. Many women came in wearing what could only be described as "booty shorts", little black tight shorts, and heals. Now during the "open house" I was ready to let this slide as they were told to wear something you would wear when you go out for the evening. What surprised me even more was that the next day during the philanthropy round I saw them wandering around in the oversized Panhellenic shirts that were given out, with the same shorts and heels! Not so much weird, just interesting.

Xidelt 09-15-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetheviolets (Post 1718229)
Recently I was at a school helping with recruitment. I went to a small school and went through recruitment in 2001, so I was surprised to see how things have changed fashion-wise. Many women came in wearing what could only be described as "booty shorts", little black tight shorts, and heals. Now during the "open house" I was ready to let this slide as they were told to wear something you would wear when you go out for the evening. What surprised me even more was that the next day during the philanthropy round I saw them wandering around in the oversized Panhellenic shirts that were given out, with the same shorts and heels! Not so much weird, just interesting.

Hot pants for rush? Where and when is that ever appropriate??? I recently went to my husband's HS reunion and it was held on a saturday night in a club. The hottie single classmates who wanted to impress everybody wore halter tops and black hot pants. Okay for a bar. Not okay for recruitment. Just say NO to PNMs in hot pants!

sceniczip 09-16-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phine (Post 1672030)
I have one that is a little more serious but still a weird story from recruitment...
My chapter is new on campus and we don't have a house in the Greek Village with the other sororities yet, so we used a room in dorm nearby for recruitment. The room was really hot on pref night. We were in the middle of the ceremony when all of a sudden one of the PNMs started to stagger around. No one had any idea what she was doing. She actually fainted because of nerves and heat. It was a pretty scary moment but she ended up to be okay. Now, we figure if we survived that incident during our first formal, we can make it through anything.

I did this during one of our ceremonies as a new member. I was soooooo embarrassed! All the girls were so nice but still when you look up and see about 65 girls staring down at you you just want to crawl under a rock...

a couple stories I have:
we always have a greek life ice cream social where everyone interested can come check out the different sororities and fraternities but some people just come for the ice cream so this being my first time on the other side of recruitment, one of my sisters and I started talking to girls together. we approached two girls and were like "hi we're amanda and sharon" and the girls don't say anything except hi (the one girl didn't even say anything at all) then sharon goes "are you interested in greek life?" (since they obviously didn't seem overjoyed to see us) and the one girl says in a really snotty voice "we just had this conversation!" we kindly said our goodbyes shortly after but man did I make note of her so I could remember her...

another girl had found me on facebook and knew I was a DG and had expressed interest in going DG. our greeks help out with freshmen move in so freshmen move in day arrives and I go over to work my shift and I run into this girl and I was like oh cool at least I know she's interested in greek life but she was pretty mean to me and I was wearing a DG shirt! it was like DUH! I know move in is stressful but still if you've publicly said you're interested in DG, being mean to one of the sisters is not a good start...

two stories that happend to friends of mine:
it was the first round of recruitment (the first three are open houses, the girls just have to make sure they visit all of the houses and get their books stamped before continuing on in recruitment) and this girl announces she is a legacy to my friend (my friend is in another chapter) and also a legacy to DG. so my friend asks her "What do you like to do for fun?" the girl's response "drink" I'm not sure what went through her head but needless to say both my friend and I were disinterested after that...

another one was a friend I work with who is not in a sorority was in a bio lab group with a girl from a different chapter than mine and I guess the girl was complaining about how ugly their new members were and how she didn't like any of them etc... in front of the rest of the lab group and it's not like she knew if any of them were going through recruitment...

thankfully I haven't seen any of these other crazy stories yet but I'm still new at recruiting so I'm sure I'll get them... I think the best part is when our alums come back and act as PNMs to help get us ready because they ask the craziest questions!

loveinxi 09-18-2008 03:08 AM

Soo....my stories arent too interesting...but somewhat amusing

I made the big mistake while talking to a girl the first night
PNM: Well I was in band my junior and senior year; I played clarinet my junior year and I was drum major my senior year
Me: Oh, you changed instruments your senior year?
PNM: NO...
Needless to say I was like omg Im retarded

Night two was disaster night
We dont have houses so we have recruitment in the great hall at our school that can be sectioned off four times with these room dividers, however they arent too sturdy. Every year we make a teddy tower. Its our wooden letters (That are like 4-5 ft tall) on top of a table with teddy bears stuffed all over it. Well the DGs next door hit the divider and the D FELL...followed by a cascade of teddy bears. One of my sisters who was right below it caught it and still continued talking to her PNM while the rest of the room gasped. (If she hadnt caught it, it might have taken out her PNM). Then the next party that night after the slideshow, the paper fell off the wall and I (yes clumsy and ditzy) backed into the lights in the middle of the party and they went off. The third party the virus scan came up in the middle of the slideshow and wouldnt go away. Then the fourth the slideshow just stopped like five pictures early. Needless to say we were glad the night was over.

Oh and I asked one girl what her hobbies were and she said "I dont have any, I just go to class and watch tv" and apparently someone else got the same answer from her

LucyKKG 09-18-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveinxi (Post 1719614)
Well the DGs next door hit the divider and the D FELL...followed by a cascade of teddy bears. One of my sisters who was right below it caught it and still continued talking to her PNM while the rest of the room gasped. (If she hadnt caught it, it might have taken out her PNM).

Hahahhaaha that cracked me up! I just got a visual in my head and I'm gonna laugh about it for dayyyys!

SoYouWannaGoGrk 09-18-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilzetakitten (Post 1618823)
Guess I should add mine...

This year, I was a floater and went to talk to a PNM. Her first comment: "Ooh, I love your earrings! Are those real pearls?" She goes on to talk about her love of black pearls, and talked about the strand that her dad recently got her mom. She also talks about her love of diamonds. Then she goes, "Men getting you diamonds is like your consolation prize for getting old." My sister, whom the girl was actually paired with, goes, "Oh, no, they aren't always old! My big is getting married in June, she just graduated in December." PNM: "OMG, that's crazy! I can't believe she'd get married so young!!"

Did I mention that I'm engaged, and was wearing my ring through this entire exchange?

We cut her that night.

Also, we had a girl come through on pref who looked a mixture of pissed, disinterested, and in pain. She completely ignored the sister preffing her the whole time. She ended up going to another sorority... good luck with that one.

Seems a bit rough to cut her for not noticing. I've talked to a few girls at clubs in LA and I'm quite surprised when some of them show off their huge engagement rings after a nice chat.

BlueHenTheta 09-23-2008 06:08 PM

This didn't happen to me, but my friend when we were both going through recruitment.
My friend, we'll call her Patricia, apparently drank too much the night before the second round (although she swears she didn't). We do recruitment in a student center and each sorority has a room. While she was in the XYZ room, she had to run back into the lobby to the bathroom to throw up! She told the active that she wasn't feeling well and bolted, then came back.

Funny enough, she got a bid to XYZ and is now a sister.

luv n tpa 10-09-2008 12:50 PM

I've been kind of a lurker lately, but with recruitment around, I was pretty darn sure I was going to experience some weirdness. Oh, and I did.

I'm with one of my sisters talking to a PNM who I have a class with. From the night before and my experience with her in class, we knew that she was just not TPA, however we were still polite, I talked to her about a project, etc. As I'm mid-sentence, she interrupts me, checks her breath, leans into my sister and says, "Sorry, but do you have an extra piece of gum?" And thankfully the party was over 30 seconds later.

There was also another PNM who, I think, might have some kind of social disorder. She was sweet, but didn't really know how to carry herself. My little sat with her during our slide show, and instead of looking at what was on the screen, she stared at my little the entire time. Creepy.

LucyKKG 10-09-2008 06:06 PM

On bid day, one of our new members asked me if any weird stuff had happened during recruitment. I couldn't think of anything TOO crazy, but I figured I'd better wait a bit before going there with NMs. Lol!

GammaPhi88 12-22-2008 10:41 PM

Bumping this up because I've got a new one that I can't believe I forgot to post! I was representing my chapter at a pre-rush event where all sororities had tables and pictures and stuff. Set around our table was a ton of our T-shirts...letted sweatshirts, event shirts, PR items, ect. Lots of girls were complimenting us on our t-shirts, so when one girl (who had been trying to get membership selections specifics out of me for about ten minutes before she saw our shirts) complimented our shirts, I wasn't fazed at all, and thanked her. Then...well...here was the conversation, quoted as best as I can remember.

Her: Omggg! I love your t-shirts! This one is sooooo cute (she says as she picks up shirt and ruins our display)
Me: (trying to get the shirt back so I could redo the display) Thank you! I definately think these t-shirts are a major perk of greek life!
Her: They're sooo cute! Omg! How much for this one?
Me: Um, well, I'm sorry, our shirts are not for sale, its part of the display.
Her: Ohhh please, I'll give you $20 for this one.
Me: Well, I'm sorry, the shirts belong to the members who donated them for this event, and since they come out of our dues....
Her: how about $25?
Me: ummm....have you seen our scrapbook?

Try as I might she kept haggling. I couldn't get her off the subject...it was all I could do to keep from sighing in relief when her cell went off and she excused herself to go answer it.

VandalSquirrel 12-22-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 (Post 1757536)
Bumping this up because I've got a new one that I can't believe I forgot to post! I was representing my chapter at a pre-rush event where all sororities had tables and pictures and stuff. Set around our table was a ton of our T-shirts...letted sweatshirts, event shirts, PR items, ect. Lots of girls were complimenting us on our t-shirts, so when one girl (who had been trying to get membership selections specifics out of me for about ten minutes before she saw our shirts) complimented our shirts, I wasn't fazed at all, and thanked her. Then...well...here was the conversation, quoted as best as I can remember.

Her: Omggg! I love your t-shirts! This one is sooooo cute (she says as she picks up shirt and ruins our display)
Me: (trying to get the shirt back so I could redo the display) Thank you! I definately think these t-shirts are a major perk of greek life!
Her: They're sooo cute! Omg! How much for this one?
Me: Um, well, I'm sorry, our shirts are not for sale, its part of the display.
Her: Ohhh please, I'll give you $20 for this one.
Me: Well, I'm sorry, the shirts belong to the members who donated them for this event, and since they come out of our dues....

Try as I might she kept haggling. I couldn't get her off the subject...it was all I could do to keep from sighing in relief when her cell went off and she excused herself to go answer it.

Did she get a bid anywhere? Kind of gives a whole new dimension to people who are in it just for letters on a t-shirt.

GammaPhi88 12-23-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel (Post 1757553)
Did she get a bid anywhere? Kind of gives a whole new dimension to people who are in it just for letters on a t-shirt.

It was a pre-recruitment event, so we'll find out next semester. I guess we have a new famous PNM..."t-shirt girl"!

GammaPhi88 01-18-2009 06:12 PM

Bumping this up because one of my sisters told me a good one from a past recruitment. She was double rushing these two PNMs, and they couldn't have been more different. One was this quieter but really sweet girl, and the other one was dressed in Fendi, head to toe.

So, they get to talking, and my sister asks what they do in their free time. Quieter girl gives my sister a normal answer ("Oh I like to see movies with my friends, go to parties, go shopping, out to lunch, ect"), and Fendi girl goes, "Oh, I like to go to the bars. I looove Sam's on Thursdays, and I ALWAYS go to Sally's Tavern on Fridays. I have like five fake IDs, and the one I got from my friend from camp ALWAYS works at Steve's!" (Not the real names of the bars).

Quiet girl goes, "Um, well, I don't go to the bars at all, I don't have a fake ID. Is that okay?". My sister goes, its totally okay, I've never had one, when Fendi girl goes, "OMG! I CAN TOTALLY HOOK YOU UP!" The she apparently proceeded to pull about five IDs out of her wallet, and held them up one at a time to the other poor PNM's face to see if any of hers would work.

KSUViolet06 01-18-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 (Post 1757536)

Ha. Trying to buy tee shirts AND answering a ringing cell phone? Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 (Post 1767220)
Fendi girl goes, "OMG! I CAN TOTALLY HOOK YOU UP!" The she apparently proceeded to pull about five IDs out of her wallet, and held them up one at a time to the other poor PNM's face to see if any of hers would work.

LOL. Pulling out fake IDs, not a good look.