GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Advice about having Mom go through AI... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=40324)

gphiangel624 10-02-2003 11:19 PM

Advice about having Mom go through AI...

Hi there!

I haven't really got the time to search around for threads about women who have had their mothers go through the AI process, so throw me a little bone...

Here's the scoop: I've discussed AI for my mom with my chapter advisor (her mom did AI, too) and with some of my sisters (who adore my mom), and decided to wait for a little bit before bringing the subject up to her. My mother has been very involved in my life, esp. since joining Gamma Phi and I would love for her to share something like this with me. My big sis, who works with my mom (and my mom knew her before she knew me!) mentioned to my mom today that the Alum Advisory board discussed my mom and one of my sister's moms for AI a couple days ago. My mom hadn't really gotten much info on it, so my big sis filled her in a little bit and promised to bring her info when she could.

Has anyone on GC helped your mom or another family member get involved through AI? I would love this for my mom, but don't really have much information, and honestly, I'm a little hesitant because I don't want anything to "backlash" on me and make my mom and I grow apart.

Thanks!

Carol

GeekyPenguin 10-02-2003 11:53 PM

I was seriously just about to make this post. And as long as we're on the same thread, there is a SigEp sweetheart that I love dearly and want her to be a Gamma Phi so badly it hurts. How do we go about discussing AI with people to keep them interested? I think for a lot of the younger alumnae, we support the idea but don't know how to broach the topic.

dakareng 10-02-2003 11:59 PM

I have not personally had a family member pursue AI but I have been present when the mother of a Pi Phi was initiated and know of at least one instance where the daughter, as chapter president conducted the ceremony where her mother was being initiated. I don't know if I'd be able to get the words out correctly if it was me!!

It would be a special thing to share with your mom but I think you need to first ask her if she is interested and if she is eligible for Gamma Phi's AI process (some groups have requirements for college attendance or degree). When your mom was in college, were there sororities? Was she simply not interested at the time, or didn't have the opportunity to join? She may be very interested to me the involved mom but not have ever thought about joining herself.

Good luck! Let us know if you are able to share the bonds of sisterhood with your mom (sort of a reverse legacy!!)

CutiePie2000 10-03-2003 12:33 AM

Great question...
I know that Maharet AI'd into Alpha Phi and then her Mom did too.
Also, I know that AOIISilver AI'd into AOII and then her Mom did too. You may wish to PM these ladies and ask them for their input on this thread?

If you have questions specifically about Gamma Phi Beta, you might want to ask GPhiBLtColonel to chime in on this thread, since she is the "grand poobah" of knowledge when it comes to AI specifically into Gamma Phi Beta.

SmartBlondeGPhB 10-03-2003 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I was seriously just about to make this post. And as long as we're on the same thread, there is a SigEp sweetheart that I love dearly and want her to be a Gamma Phi so badly it hurts. How do we go about discussing AI with people to keep them interested? I think for a lot of the younger alumnae, we support the idea but don't know how to broach the topic.
I'd start by inviting the person to an alumnae chapter event and gauging her reaction from there.

And Gamma Phi does not have a college attendance requirement.

GeekyPenguin 10-03-2003 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I'd start by inviting the person to an alumnae chapter event and gauging her reaction from there.

And Gamma Phi does not have a college attendance requirement.

See, the issue here is that there is not an alum chapter that is active where she is living, and she is much closer in age to the collegians anyway. She will be moving to Milwaukee within the next year but really has gotten excited about AI now.

AOIIsilver 10-03-2003 07:36 AM

AI for moms

I think AI is wonderful for moms. I just asked my mom if she would be interested and showed her the materials for AI....especially since she was already going with me to all of my activities. She was delighted. The collegians were delighted with my mom, and her AI journey took only three weeks total. She will be celebrating her AOII birthday this Saturday.

Does G Phi B have an alumnae initiate brochure or pamphlet to share with your mom?

Silver

CutiePie2000 10-03-2003 11:30 AM

http://www.gammaphibeta.org/involved/become/alumnae.asp

GeekyPenguin 10-03-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CutiePie2000
http://www.gammaphibeta.org/involved/become/alumnae.asp
And that link is about the only official thing we have, as far as I've been able to find.

Do other orgs have brochures or pamphlets?

SmartBlondeGPhB 10-03-2003 11:43 AM

Quote:

And that link is about the only official thing we have, as far as I've been able to find.

We actually have a complete packet of information that goes to the alumnae chapter (upon request) from IH, one for each woman they are interested in. But, it's for the chapter, most of the info does not go to the AI.

I've asked about public information...........

CutiePie2000 10-03-2003 12:12 PM

Quote:

I think that's as good as it gets for the various NPC groups...a blurb on a website, but no "glossy pamphlets" (at least not yet that I know of...maybe soon!? ;) ). DG addresses AI on its website too, as do a few others (Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Sigma Tau, Pi Beta Phi, AOII...can't think of any others right now. I did find a link for ADPi, but I had to seriously dig for it. See my post
here for the various links.)
As for as I know, DG does not have a brochure or pamphlet but I know for me, I filled out a form that was basically for "Prospective Alumnae Initiates". It asked what I was doing now for employment, if I completed my degree, if I had ever been initiated into an NPC org, that type of thing.)
------------------
On another note, I realize that we are primarily discussing AI with regards to "reverse legacies" (for lack of a better word). But, since we are focussing in mostly on Gamma Phi Beta, I wanted to share this beautiful story with you where GPhiBLtColonel AI'd one of her friends (who was a GFB legacy) into Gamma Phi Beta, because the friend's mom was a Gamma Phi Beta and had always wanted her daughter to become one. The Mom was in her 80s and died not long afterwards. It's quite a moving post and since some of you are relative newcomers, you may not have seen it. Click here.

AOIIsilver 10-03-2003 03:42 PM

AOII AI pamphlets and brochures

AOII has a complete packet that may be sent to a prospective AI. It contains a pamphlet with information as well as a brand new, shiny large brochure...complete with pictures and quotes. The packet also contains the application for AI with directions on how to fill it out and to whom the filled out papers must be sent. Our Alumnae Service Coordinator deserves props for putting together such an informative and well-designed packet!
:)
The brochure is actually on-line, as well, as part of an issue of _To Dragma_. Right now the AOII site is down; but when it gets back up, I will leave a link to the brochure.
:)
Silver

CutiePie2000 10-03-2003 03:52 PM

Re: AOII AI pamphlets and brochures

Quote:

Originally posted by AOIIsilver
The brochure is actually on-line, as well, as part of an issue of _To Dragma_. Right now the AOII site is down; but when it gets back up, I will leave a link to the brochure.

I think this is it here

AOIIsilver 10-03-2003 05:53 PM

Yep!

That is one page of the shiny neat brochure!
Thanks, Cutie! You are awesome!
Silver

Tom Earp 10-03-2003 05:55 PM

I find this a fasinating and great thing!:)

The simple reason being, that Moms/Dads do live the Greek Life with the Kids and become very attatched to The Particular Organization.

While they do not Know about Ritual, they do know about the workings of The Siblings Group. They do become involved vicarously in a way.

Fraternitys have a different attitude about AI, and While I would love to see my Father be My Brother as He hung with all of the crap that I went through and met most of the guys when I started the Local! I think one of the few times he was actually proud of me!:confused:

I know, We did Iniatite a Advisor who was head of a Dept at school, it is so funny,

We had lunch during a Mentoring session that the Alums run, and the email from him when it was over was it is funny, the Lowest # and The Youngest # who are about the same age are having lunch!

I appreciate you telling Me, My Son who has a lower # than mine is now My Brother, My Son!

I think this is a fantastic Idea!:cool: