GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Same Sex Marriage possibly causing membership cancellation??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=225886)

naraht 01-28-2017 04:14 PM

Same Sex Marriage possibly causing membership cancellation???

I was reading a posting on George Takei's feed called
I married my sorority pledge sister. (They do identify the NPC sorority near the end of the article)

According to the article and the chronology there, they pledged about 10 years ago and graduated 6 years ago.

The last paragraph ends with
"Also, as far as I know, we’re still registered *ABC* — I’ve read our handbook numerous times and have never found anything explicitly noting that you can’t marry a sister. We thought that maybe, someday, we'd get a letter from the board asking us to send back our pins and de-register... but so far, so good."

(The ABC is in place of the NPC Sorority mentioned, I don't want to make it *about* that sorority)

Anyway, it was unexpected to me that they would think there is a chance that the GLO would take membership away, I would expect that for all NIC, NPC and NPHC GLOs that things have gone far enough that a chapter would be in trouble for denying membership based on being LGB. (T is somewhat up in the air)

FSUZeta 01-28-2017 06:14 PM

I also read it Naraht, and I think it was probably completely a click bait article, especially the "I guess we are still members" diatribe at the end.

SigKapSweetie 01-28-2017 09:57 PM

Definitely clickbait. I know of no evidence that any sorority discriminates against either active members or alumnae on the basis of sexual orientation. I was far more troubled by the hazing and drug use described in the article - both are against ABC sorority policy. I hope this was invented for the sake of making the article more interesting and is not true, but if it is true, I hope it was appropriately dealt with.

SoCalGirl 01-29-2017 02:07 AM

^Agreed. I read the article and thought "Marrying your sister isn't what's going to get your pin pulled and I bet that chapter will have HQ at their door in a hot minute."

33girl 01-29-2017 02:12 AM

I would hope a chapter wouldn't be disciplined now for things that happened 10 years ago, especially when the source is highly questionable. It didn't ring true IMO and I don't really find Bustle trustworthy in general. If this article had been in The Advocate that would have been another story.

naraht 01-29-2017 06:54 AM

Clickbait...

If they hadn't identified the NPC sorority in the article, I would have been much more certain that it was clickbait. (Not sure if I should identify it here to save those who don't want to click on the article.) I agree that the hazing/drinking is disturbing, but I also don't know under what conditions actions would be taken against a chapter for something which occurred where all of the members at the time have graduated.

SoCalGirl 01-29-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2426648)
I would hope a chapter wouldn't be disciplined now for things that happened 10 years ago, especially when the source is highly questionable. It didn't ring true IMO and I don't really find Bustle trustworthy in general. If this article had been in The Advocate that would have been another story.

Disciplined? I agree they shouldn't be held accountable for stuff that happened 6-10 years ago; but, I would ask a lot of questions about what's going on now. The woman didn't indicate any sense that the behavior was not acceptable. That could lead to an impression that it's ingrained into the chapters sense of normalcy. I would take a second look and question any advisors who came through the chapter during the time period. I don't know the criminal statute for hazing or how far back a member could file a civil lawsuit. I'd want to cover my bases.

33girl 01-29-2017 11:28 AM

That's what I mean about it not ringing true. I feel like she exaggerated certain things (like one line of coke turning into a frisbee-full*) to hammer home the point about how her wife made her a better person. She seems bitter about the sorority (other than her wife) and obviously not thinking of or caring that her stories might have repercussions for others.

*in a FRISBEE? Seriously, what.

Sen's Revenge 01-29-2017 12:41 PM

I don't know whether to believe it or not. It reads like fan fiction.

Cheerio 01-29-2017 07:47 PM

Wasn't this article actually a story originally in a book, compiled with other similar stories about LGBT women in Greek Life, published within the past 20 years? When I read that book a few years ago it included more than one story about women from (the same sorority named in the article here).