GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   University of Texas-Austin Roundup (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=118861)

Eightisgreat 03-12-2011 08:26 AM

University of Texas-Austin Roundup

During our local Panhellenic meet & greet, many of the reps (some alum, some actives...from various colleges) encouraged girls who were considering UT-Austin to attend the Round Up events the weekend of March 25-27. When looking into this via google...lol....I found this...

http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gli...ifcroundup.php

So I am recommending to my daughter that she does not attend. She has not 100% decided on UT but is leaning that way and feels if she does not attend (because of what was said at above mentioned event) that she will be at a disadvantage in the Fall. Anyone??

IrishLake 03-12-2011 09:30 AM

Isn't this for the men? IFC is for the mens groups?

Eightisgreat 03-12-2011 10:51 AM

IFC is the council that oversees the men's group. But this event was talked about at 80% of the tables, especially when the active that was representing their sorority was also a member of a UT chapter. It was my understanding that it is basically a big social event, with mixers being the focus. With the UT Panhellenic attempting to curb "dirty rush", I suspect the linked letter is a direct result of that. It puts PNMs in a bit of a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. I am currently in the don't do it camp.

33girl 03-12-2011 11:52 AM

Does she have any UT connections at all (i.e. people she knows from HS who go there, etc) or will she be coming in to the school a complete unknown, if she decides to go there?

dnall 03-12-2011 02:13 PM

It's not necessarily bad for her to be up there.

Roundup traditionally is a big push by all fraternities aimed at current students leading into summer recruiting in prep for fall rush. And of course a lot of high school kids figured out they could join in, which just means they have to talk to someone to get a wrist band.

Sororities will be all over the place in letters trying to see and be seen as promotion for rush, but I don't know that they're actively recruiting.

However, sororities are doing a LOT of events too. Most of them are charity BBQ or lunch at XYZ house for 5 bucks kind of things, none of which requires a wristband. All that stuff is floating around facebook. It might be beneficial for a girl to go to a bunch of that stuff so she can check out the sororities outside a rush environment & just get an idea of what she's getting into. Don't think it's really necessary or anything though.

Eightisgreat 03-12-2011 02:41 PM

33-

She does know some girls from her HS who are active members. They are actually spread out among a multitude of sororities.

AGDee 03-12-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eightisgreat (Post 2037989)
33-

She does know some girls from her HS who are active members. They are actually spread out among a multitude of sororities.

She should probably ask them about the appropriateness of attending or whether there are similar events appropriate for high school students.

Eightisgreat 03-12-2011 03:23 PM

Some of these girls are the girls that asked if she was coming that weekend. I guess the issue I have with it is that from what I read, ie the letter linked and other information state that high school seniors should not be at these events. But the conflict is that although "officially" seniors should not be there, unofficially I would say it is apparent they will be. If it doesn't hurt to not be there, then I would prefer she not. I guess a compromise would be her attending the charity focused daytime outings and skipping the evening parties.

Just interested 03-12-2011 04:57 PM

Lady Longhorn will know more than anyone but I'll put in my 2cents.

The Sorority chapters are planning to have HS seniors drop in for their events during the day. That's why they have asked her if she is coming. It is a great opportunity to meet the girls and see the houses. It is like a giant open house.

I know nothing about the fraternity parties.

33girl 03-12-2011 06:53 PM

If these girls from her HS have seen evidence of you being strict on other things...they'll most likely say "don't hold against eightlet that she wasn't at roundup. Her mom has a stick up her butt like you would not believe and doesn't let her do ANYTHING." :p

Of course, if you were the parent who buys the keg for the party, you are screwed out of that concept.

AnchorAlum 03-12-2011 07:38 PM

As a former Alumnae Panhellenic Sponsorship coordinator for a LARGE suburb of Dallas, I can tell you that this has evolved into a large pre-rush event and that girls are being looked over left and right.

My daughter went even though she wasn't planning to attend UT, and she came back with anecdotes about lots of the members asking her who she was and where she was from and if her mother was in a sorority. She said she felt like a piece of meat.

Titchou 03-12-2011 09:21 PM

What else would one expect at UT? Seriously.

Eightisgreat 03-12-2011 09:45 PM

haha...I don't buy the keg, but not a prude either :rolleyes: I am just in the camp of if doesn't hurt to not be there, why take the chance of going and getting into a situation that could hurt her? I am refering to the innocent stuff..not getting crap faced and acting a fool. I am simply talking about a guy coming up and saying hi and her having a conversation with an active's boyfriend and pissing said active off, even though kid would have no idea who's who because she new and just being nice. I just see it as a mine field. She came to me looking for an opinon on whether to go or not, and her, not being sold on the idea one way or other, and me, frankly not sure how to guide.

Just interested 03-12-2011 10:14 PM

When in doubt, stay home! Do you have any friends that were in sororities at UT? They would be your best guides. From what I understand, it is a lot calmer than in years past and not as "necessary" but again I'm only getting third hand information. I do know that most if not all of the sororities will be having some kind of event on the 25th.

AGDee 03-13-2011 01:25 PM

It sounds to me like the compromise of attending the day time events but not the fraternity parties is the best option. That way she can start to get her name/face known with the sororities but not have to deal with the social pressures/minefield side of the parties.