GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Structured IFC Rush (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=31440)

SigEpPrez 03-26-2003 11:33 AM

Structured IFC Rush

Do any schools out there have a structured IFC rush system? or anything more than a free-for-all... looking for some different ways of doing things...
:p

hendrixski 03-26-2003 11:54 AM

not really structured

other than that we're given a day on which we can start holding rush events, and a day we can start handing out bids.

If those rules are broken then you go on probation.

I assume that's what most schools have though. It seems to work for us for the most part.

SigEpPrez 03-26-2003 12:02 PM

yeah... we kinda have that going for us.. i'm looking for ideas where everyone gets equal time for like 1 event, then after that its up to the individuals.

so kinda Panhel style.. but not that hardcore

shadokat 03-26-2003 12:11 PM

SigEp, what school are you at in Philadelphia?

phigamucsb 03-26-2003 10:52 PM

At UCSB we have a loosely structured IFC rush. Rush begins on a Monday, in which members from IFC walk all of the potential rushees around to each house. When the rushees arive at a given house, that house is given 10 minutes to give a speech, show the rushees the house, basically anything that house wants do. Our rush goes from Monday-Friday. Tuesday is the first day that rushees are actually allowed to visit houses on their own. Bids are not allowed to be extended until Wednesday and most bids are given Wednesday-Thursday. Friday is usually reserved for rushees that are unsure. The hours of rush are (6:00-9:00) and rush is alcohol free. Girls are also prohibited from any events during rush week.

Aphigal 03-26-2003 11:14 PM

Send an email to Miami of Ohio (http://www.muohio.edu) and ask their IFC. They have a semi-structured rush and it works pretty well from what I know....

Kevin 03-27-2003 12:15 AM

We have 5 (recognized) groups on campus -- TKE is not.

If a man wants to pledge a house he must take a card and visit each house on campus. He must obtain their stamp. There are about 20-30 rules about how that works which I won't go into here -- to REALLY simplify it, he must provide his own transportation and do that stuff on his own so that theoretically each house gets to tell him what they're about without another pushing him out the door.

Rush is 2 or 3 nights (I'm not sure what we've decided on)..

Firehouse 03-27-2003 01:08 AM

Why Would You Want That?

Why would you want anyone to be able to tell you when you can bid, or when and how to rush? I would think that it would always be to your advantage to have freedom to rush as much and as often as you want, to take advantage of every opportunity. Take advantage of your rivals' laziness and lack of ambition.

Kevin 03-27-2003 02:34 AM

It helps when you don't have a bottomless pit from which to draw funds.

Those chapters on my campus which are below IFC membership average can rush outside of formal and sign people informally. To do so though really complicates things... Imagine adding new candidates throughout the semester. How would you have unity in your candidate class?

To do it together means that even though we are competing with eachother we work together to get interested men on campus to come check us out. By creating this larger draw I feel that we attract more men because there's a greater variety from which to choose...

Would you rather go to the dealership that only sells one brand of car or the dealership that carries 'em all?

SigEpPrez 03-27-2003 10:22 AM

Re: Why Would You Want That?

Quote:

Originally posted by Firehouse
Why would you want anyone to be able to tell you when you can bid, or when and how to rush? I would think that it would always be to your advantage to have freedom to rush as much and as often as you want, to take advantage of every opportunity. Take advantage of your rivals' laziness and lack of ambition.
It would be nice to get the rushees to visit or hear from every chapter at least once as like a first event.

Then give them the freedom do check out who the want more after that.

Kevin 03-27-2003 11:11 AM

This is one of the great things about the IFC system. As opposed to other systems it allows the body of the chapters to design their own rush by what would be the most effective on their individual campus. This helps keep us strong and in competition with eachother -- that makes us all better.

nyrdrms 03-27-2003 04:37 PM

At my school, IFC has moved more towards a somewhat structured rush.

For the first week of classes, the fraternity guys are not allowed to wear their letters, they can only wear IFC shirts. There is a table set up in the student center for guys interested in joining a fraternity to sign up, and the information is given to all the IFC fraternities. Then there is one or two events, usually dodgeball and a BBQ for the fraternities to do together before they split up and do their own rush events.

ksig600 03-28-2003 01:56 PM

Re: Why Would You Want That?

Quote:

Originally posted by Firehouse
I see your point Firehouse, but sometimes things get out of hand, and a structured rush is needed to keep a level playing field.
We always have a chapter that "dirty rushes" by inviting rushees out and informal bidding them on 1st meeting, and either talking mad crap about the other fraternities or forbidding the guys to rush anyone but them.

Its not really fair to the other chapters, and the rushee. I think each chapter should have at least the same access to the incoming Freshman and prospectives. There should also be more structured events like Open Houses where a guy can see ALL his options, and rush the chapter where he feels most comfortable.

ABC may see it as losing the rushee they really like to XYZ, but I see it as a guy going where he feels he belongs, and not just going to ABC because they dirty rushed. I think this cuts down on depledging rates, and makes IFC stronger as a whole.

justamom 03-29-2003 05:01 PM

You might want to PM lifesaver. He worked really hard with rush last year and it turned out very successful!

edited-I found his thread! http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=22990

trisigmaAtl 03-29-2003 05:25 PM

I was just talking to our IFC VP about this on Thursday. In past years guys rush has always been two weeks, the first week is open house week. each day a different house is open and all the guys have to sign in (if you do not go to every house, you do not get a bid). Open house is pretty much a meet and greet (b/c all the guys have been hanging out before rush anyway). The next week all the houses have a dinner night. Some houses take thier rushees out, while others have catered dinners in the chapter house. days not filled by activities are pretty much what would be considered "dirty rushing" for girls but is fine for guys (taking them out, inviting them over etc.) then there is bid day. Girls are allowed by invite only in thoughts that it will make the guys feel more comfortable. All the brotherhood stuff is conveyed during those private hang out times.

The VP said next fall guys rush will be three weeks long, and each house will get three or four days spaced out in the week resrved for only them. Pretty much, all of that casual "hang out" rush time will be structered and delegated. This way guys can't "hoard" quality guys from the other houses. I hope that makes sense and is helpful instead of just rambly.