GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Real High School Minimum GPAs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=226246)

Sorority2018 02-07-2017 04:18 PM

Real High School Minimum GPAs

I have read on multiple postings about individual sorority houses having internal GPA requirements much higher than what they publish externally. I have even read on some boards having across the board GPA cuts happening to girls with high-school GPAs less than a 3.8! Does that really happen? I have a 3.7 (unweighted), and while i dont know what sorority I would want to be in, I am interested to know if I may be cut from houses with really high GPA requirements. I know leadership and activities are important and I think i'm in good shape there - just trying to determine my options. Would love to hear if anyone has experienced this in the past.

I've my currently planning to go to KU (although considering some other schools as well) - would love some feedback if you have it! Thanks!

ASTalumna06 02-07-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorority2018 (Post 2427155)
I have read on multiple postings about individual sorority houses having internal GPA requirements much higher than what they publish externally. I have even read on some boards having across the board GPA cuts happening to girls with high-school GPAs less than a 3.8! Does that really happen? I have a 3.7 (unweighted), and while i dont know what sorority I would want to be in, I am interested to know if I may be cut from houses with really high GPA requirements. I know leadership and activities are important and I think i'm in good shape there - just trying to determine my options. Would love to hear if anyone has experienced this in the past.

I've my currently planning to go to KU (although considering some other schools as well) - would love some feedback if you have it! Thanks!

We can't tell you the "cut-off" for any chapter on any campus - membership selection is private.

However, it is true that many chapters do require GPAs higher than their sorority's published minimums.

With your GPA, though, I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep your grades up and focus on other things like your extra-curriculars and conversation skills.

FSUZeta 02-07-2017 06:16 PM

It truly varies from campus to campus and chapter to chapter, and CAN vary from year to year.

Titchou 02-07-2017 07:20 PM

Keep in mind that the GPA requirement is usually for your core subjects only. Just the ones that the University accepts towards admittance. Grades for cheerleading, etc do not count.

ZTA72 02-09-2017 09:39 PM

Grades!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2427168)
Keep in mind that the GPA requirement is usually for your core subjects only. Just the ones that the University accepts towards admittance. Grades for cheerleading, etc do not count.

I never got a grade for cheering...don't think we had that way back in the day!

Titchou 02-10-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTA72 (Post 2427250)
I never got a grade for cheering...don't think we had that way back in the day!

You should look at some of these transcripts now! Yikes!

AnchorAlumna 02-10-2017 02:03 PM

I've heard about those houses that only accept a 3.8 and up, but when the lists came out (back when they used to), I could see those vaunted houses made a LOT of exceptions to their so-called rule.
Nobody knows which houses have what grade as their floor, but I would not worry with a 3.7...nor a 3.2. It's goig to be how you connect with members that comes first.
Concentrate on that. Once you graduate, you can't do anything about your grade. And no matter what grade you have, it's going to come down to a) how you fit into what they need and b) how they feel a connection to you.