GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   University of Alabama Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=233519)

Titchou 08-21-2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npccuriosity (Post 2439186)
They have huge chapter and pledge class sizes! Sounds like they need more than Sigma Kappa to colonize. What happened to Delta Phi Epsilon, didn't they present a few years ago?

Yes, they did. PH did not extend them an offer.

IndianaSigKap 08-21-2017 10:11 PM

Who is missing at Alabama? Is the list below it?

Sigma Kappa
Alpha Xi Delta
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Phi Sigma Sigma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau

irishpipes 08-21-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap (Post 2439193)
Who is missing at Alabama? Is the list below it?

Sigma Kappa
Alpha Xi Delta
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Phi Sigma Sigma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau

And TPA

AnchorAlumna 08-22-2017 08:44 PM

While Sigma Delta Tau does not participate in formal recruitment, we are all hoping that once construction is done and things settle down, SDT will return to this side of camus and again participate fully. That will make them more visible and help them grow even more.

Griffins&Quills 08-23-2017 03:39 PM

I'm hoping for Alpha Xi's return after Sigma Kappa :D

sigmak2015 01-30-2018 08:33 PM

Can someone enlighten me on why SDT doesn't participate in formal recruitment at Bama?

I'm so excited for SK's colonization this fall!

Iota_JWH 01-30-2018 08:55 PM

For one thing,their house is not where the others are. It could also be that they want to be mostly Jewish. I know AEPhi does separate recruitment at some schools where the chapter is primarily Jewish.

clemsongirl 01-30-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iota_JWH (Post 2453188)
For one thing,their house is not where the others are. It could also be that they want to be mostly Jewish. I know AEPhi does separate recruitment at some schools where the chapter is primarily Jewish.

Someone on this board-Titchou I think-said that a long time ago the traditionally Jewish chapters did a separate recruitment exclusively for the Jewish women at Alabama (although I don't think the Jewish women had a choice in which recruitment to go through). I wonder if any of those chapters ever participated in an integrated recruitment before the other ones closed, or if SDT ever has.

sigmak2015 01-31-2018 12:11 AM

I figured since they're all panhel, they'd all participate in FMR. also read that SDT is rather diverse, with an AA president at some point.

AnchorAlumna 01-31-2018 02:43 AM

SDT is open to women of all faiths and does pledge women of all faiths...and has since I was in school in the early 1970s.
The women themselves chose to not participate in formal recruitment a number of years ago...make that decades ago.

(Full disclosure - I am not an SDT but I am a U of Alabama alumna and still work with our chapter there.)

The chapter's house was originally on sorority row. Numbers shrank over the years - the campus lost two or three other NPC groups and SDT suffered as well. They had always been more selective in pledging. Ultimately they could not maintan the house. With their national's permission, the chapter continued to meet at the Hillel Foundation and continued to pledge a few women each year via COB.

The house was rented to a succession of fraternities and sororities whose houses were undergoing remodeling or new construction.
Recruitment numbers began to grow, and SDT began pledging more members, still through COB. The chapter rents a university-owned house close to what we call new fraternity row. There are several of these university-owned houses together. Theta Tau occupies one, NPHC groups and fraternities occupy the others.

SDT continues to conduct its own separate recruitment, as does Alpha Delta Chi, the Christian sorority which is unhoused. Their numbers, I'm pleased to report, continue to grow.

Delta Gamma returned to campus in 2011, and Sigma Kappa will return this fall. ALL the sororities have built new houses or are in the process of building new houses. Once the "fruit basket turnover" ends of sororities occupying "swing houses" (3 old sorority houses) while the new house is being built, perhaps SDT can return to sorority row and remodel one of the current older houses, or build a new one.

I do hope an Alabama SDT member will appear and correct me!

Titchou 01-31-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2453191)
Someone on this board-Titchou I think-said that a long time ago the traditionally Jewish chapters did a separate recruitment exclusively for the Jewish women at Alabama (although I don't think the Jewish women had a choice in which recruitment to go through). I wonder if any of those chapters ever participated in an integrated recruitment before the other ones closed, or if SDT ever has.

Yes,when I went thru in 1963, all 3 traditionally Jewish groups at that time,had a separate rush that ran at the same time as the other groups. Everyone went to Ice Water Teas-first day - and then they split off. I don't know about in years after I left in 1966.

NinjaPoodle 02-09-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2453200)
SDT is open to women of all faiths and does pledge women of all faiths...and has since I was in school in the early 1970s.
The women themselves chose to not participate in formal recruitment a number of years ago...make that decades ago.

(Full disclosure - I am not an SDT but I am a U of Alabama alumna and still work with our chapter there.)

The chapter's house was originally on sorority row. Numbers shrank over the years - the campus lost two or three other NPC groups and SDT suffered as well. They had always been more selective in pledging. Ultimately they could not maintan the house. With their national's permission, the chapter continued to meet at the Hillel Foundation and continued to pledge a few women each year via COB.

The house was rented to a succession of fraternities and sororities whose houses were undergoing remodeling or new construction.
Recruitment numbers began to grow, and SDT began pledging more members, still through COB. The chapter rents a university-owned house close to what we call new fraternity row. There are several of these university-owned houses together. Theta Tau occupies one, NPHC groups and fraternities occupy the others.

SDT continues to conduct its own separate recruitment, as does Alpha Delta Chi, the Christian sorority which is unhoused. Their numbers, I'm pleased to report, continue to grow.

Delta Gamma returned to campus in 2011, and Sigma Kappa will return this fall. ALL the sororities have built new houses or are in the process of building new houses. Once the "fruit basket turnover" ends of sororities occupying "swing houses" (3 old sorority houses) while the new house is being built, perhaps SDT can return to sorority row and remodel one of the current older houses, or build a new one.

I do hope an Alabama SDT member will appear and correct me!

Thank you.

Tinkerbell1 02-13-2018 04:35 PM

Crazy BIG pledge classes. I wonder if it negatively effects the sorority experience in any way. Guess not since they keep getting lots of girls signing up.

IndianaSigKap 02-13-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1 (Post 2453786)
Crazy BIG pledge classes. I wonder if it negatively effects the sorority experience in any way. Guess not since they keep getting lots of girls signing up.

The large pledge class experience wouldn't affect the number of PNMs signing up, I would think it would affect upperclass retention more so.

*winter* 04-10-2018 03:12 PM

Anyone know what's going on with SK? It says on Facebook they're having open house tonight.

(I don't know why I am so excited about this.)