GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Schools where you absolutely positively need recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112718)

irishpipes 06-21-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbity (Post 2063863)
Hey all, I am a bit behind in terms of gathering recs... To be honest the whole thing kind of slipped from my mind until early June. I've spent the last week and a half or so contacting friends, family, teachers, etc. asking if they could put me in touch with someone, but no luck except for one (possibly two) chapters.
I will be going to the University of Missouri. Rush starts August 14th. I've been searching everywhere - the school's PHA site, and the individual chapters' sites, but I can't find any info about a recommendation deadline. I know that last year it was August 1st. I was thinking of contacting my local alumnae chapters, but as I most likely don't know any of these ladies, I don't want to be a hassle. Considering when my rush starts, do you think it is too late to politely ask them to put me in touch with a local alumna?
This would give them somewhere around a month to write me a letter...?

I just got a whole slew of requests from my local alumnae panhellenic this morning. It shouldn't be too late, but the sooner the better.

RazorbackRush 06-22-2011 03:43 PM

The Denver Panhellenic Association website is not in working order. I have been trying to find contact info for them for a month. I live in Colorado and need recs for the University of Arkansas. I have found some on my own, but really wanted to use that group as a resource. Does anybody know how to contact them?

irishpipes 06-22-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorbackRush (Post 2064870)
The Denver Panhellenic Association website is not in working order. I have been trying to find contact info for them for a month. I live in Colorado and need recs for the University of Arkansas. I have found some on my own, but really wanted to use that group as a resource. Does anybody know how to contact them?

It looks like they have a Facebook page.

DeltaBetaBaby 06-22-2011 04:01 PM

For you rec-savvy women: what should a PNM do when she finds out her youth group advisor is an NPC sorority alum, but has no idea what a rec is or how to write one?

Always AlphaGam 06-22-2011 08:47 PM

What NOT to do.

Now that PNMs know they shouldn't solicit recs on GC, they've taken to the FB pages of HQs.

http://www.facebook.com/alphagammadelta

Seriously? I'm all for using social media to your advantage, but COME ON.

ETA: She went to the Delta Gamma and Tri Delta pages and posted the exact same thing. Won't be surprised if she hit up all of em!

33girl 06-22-2011 10:05 PM

She looks like Kate Hudson. (Random observation)

greekhopefull 07-13-2011 05:24 PM

I'm planning on going through recruitment at University of Massachusetts Amherst - do I need recs? I'm really not sure how recruitment works there and I can't find much online, and nothing about recs.

KSUViolet06 07-13-2011 05:40 PM

^^^That's not a "must have recs" school at all. If you can find them, cool. But if you can't it's not a big deal.

greekhopefull 07-13-2011 06:10 PM

Thank you! I don't know anyone who's in a sorority so I really doubt I'll be able to get recs.

als463 07-13-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam (Post 2064952)
Now that PNMs know they shouldn't solicit recs on GC, they've taken to the FB pages of HQs.

http://www.facebook.com/alphagammadelta

Seriously? I'm all for using social media to your advantage, but COME ON.

ETA: She went to the Delta Gamma and Tri Delta pages and posted the exact same thing. Won't be surprised if she hit up all of em!

I looked and couldn't find it. What did some random girl post on there? I only saw stuff about new prints coming out for letters and the thing about the Miss USA pageant. Am I missing something?

Always AlphaGam 07-13-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2069782)
I looked and couldn't find it. What did some random girl post on there? I only saw stuff about new prints coming out for letters and the thing about the Miss USA pageant. Am I missing something?

It was eventually deleted by the Admin almost immediately after I posted this.

Basically a PNM from NC rushing at Bama this Fall wrote on the wall and solicited rec help. In true cut and paste form we see here on GC, she went from Page to Page of the NPC sororities for which she didn't have recs and just changed the sorority name.

als463 07-13-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam (Post 2069802)
It was eventually deleted by the Admin almost immediately after I posted this.

Basically a PNM from NC rushing at Bama this Fall wrote on the wall and solicited rec help. In true cut and paste form we see here on GC, she went from Page to Page of the NPC sororities for which she didn't have recs and just changed the sorority name.

Wow. That is just cheesy. I'm sorry I missed it.

efirefly 07-27-2011 05:18 PM

Recs for the University of Tennessee

What is the best way for someone new to a college (like the University of Tennessee) to get recs?

Always AlphaGam 07-28-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efirefly (Post 2073865)
What is the best way for someone new to a college (like the University of Tennessee) to get recs?

Ask your parents' friends, coaches, former teachers, people you know from church if they are members of sororities or know someone who is.

Contact your local Alumnae Panhellenic. A directory is listed at www.npcwomen.org -- if your local area is listed but there is no link, contact someone at NPC so they can put you in touch with someone in your area.

Sciencewoman 08-10-2011 09:33 PM

University of Michigan recs

My HS senior daughter and I went to a University of Michigan admissions event last night. One of the student panelists who is a sorority member told my daughter that she HIGHLY recommends recs, and multiple ones for each chapter are even a good idea. She specifically told us that she had recs for all the chapters when she went through recruitment. She said not everyone will have them, but recruitment draws large numbers of PNMs and it's easy to get lost in the crowd without a rec. I know that when I went through, there were several sororities that pledged a majority of legacies, and this student did join one of the sororities for which she is a legacy.

Since my daughter may go to Michigan next year, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any more up-to-date info. on the necessity of recs for this campus?

33girl 08-10-2011 09:52 PM

Stuff like this isn't going to change in that short of time - if a current sorority member says recs are good to have, get them. Especially if the number of girls going through rush or just the amount of students being admitted in general has been steadily increasing.

ml2314 08-11-2011 02:57 AM

is it appropriate to include a copy of your transcript with the letter of rec? also, a photo?

Benzgirl 08-11-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2078258)
My HS senior daughter and I went to a University of Michigan admissions event last night. One of the student panelists who is a sorority member told my daughter that she HIGHLY recommends recs, and multiple ones for each chapter are even a good idea. She specifically told us that she had recs for all the chapters when she went through recruitment. She said not everyone will have them, but recruitment draws large numbers of PNMs and it's easy to get lost in the crowd without a rec. I know that when I went through, there were several sororities that pledged a majority of legacies, and this student did join one of the sororities for which she is a legacy.

Since my daughter may go to Michigan next year, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any more up-to-date info. on the necessity of recs for this campus?

Disagree.

FSUZeta 08-11-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ml2314 (Post 2078346)
is it appropriate to include a copy of your transcript with the letter of rec? also, a photo?

yes, and make sure the photo is up to date and normal and flattering-not a prom pic, or a photo of you in a costume or uniform(cheerleading, band, majorette, girl scout, etc.)

wingsnhalos 08-14-2011 10:15 AM

UGA Definitely

You definitely need a rec for UGA.

MandyPepperidge 08-14-2011 10:34 AM

Going to disagree with UNC being on the must-have-rec list. However, if you are an out-of-state student, I would say it's good to get recs.

violetpretty 08-14-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2078391)
Disagree.

Disagree with needing recs at Michigan or disagree with Sciencewoman allowing her daughter to go there?

Benzgirl 08-14-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 2079619)
Disagree with needing recs at Michigan or disagree with Sciencewoman allowing her daughter to go there?

Needing recs. U of M is a great school. I have no problem with it.

ml2314 08-15-2011 12:05 AM

I got one last letter of rec. My problem is that it would now be late. Better to send it in late or not at all?

sunflowerx528 08-15-2011 03:09 AM

Does anyone know if recs are needed for Union University in Jackson, TN? There are only three sororities, so I'm not sure if that makes it more competitive or less?

33girl 08-15-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ml2314 (Post 2079920)
I got one last letter of rec. My problem is that it would now be late. Better to send it in late or not at all?

Better late than never. Send it in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflowerx528 (Post 2079980)
Does anyone know if recs are needed for Union University in Jackson, TN? There are only three sororities, so I'm not sure if that makes it more competitive or less?

The number of sororities on a campus has nothing to do with the competitiveness of the system. There could be 3 sororities because the Greek system isn't popular enough to support more, or there could be 3 sororities because they've all been there since Teddy Roosevelt was in office and are all super strong and new GLOs are at a disadvantage.

ComradesTrue 08-15-2011 11:51 PM

I belong to an APH that writes recs for many of the schools listed in the "you must have recs" list. I am wondering how many of those schools are ones where having 2 recs is becoming the norm? We want to properly advise our local girls to ensure they are on equal footing, but don't want to needlessly stress them out if one is sufficient.

Seems that I have read on here that at Bama and (??) Auburn many of the PNMs will have 2 recs. Even when I was at TCU, 20 years ago, there were chapters where 2 recs were helpful, and now that recuitment numbers have doubled there I am hearing that it's not a bad idea to have 2 for all of the chapters if you can. Obviously Univ of Texas is its own creature with the copious amounts of letters of support that are submitted on behalf on the PNMs.

Anyway, would love to hear input from those in the know at other SEC and Texas schools, as well as other uber-competitive (Indiana?) schools.

westcoastsunset 08-16-2011 05:18 PM

Does anyone know about Chapman University?

violetpretty 08-16-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondie93 (Post 2080420)
I belong to an APH that writes recs for many of the schools listed in the "you must have recs" list. I am wondering how many of those schools are ones where having 2 recs is becoming the norm? We want to properly advise our local girls to ensure they are on equal footing, but don't want to needlessly stress them out if one is sufficient.

Seems that I have read on here that at Bama and (??) Auburn many of the PNMs will have 2 recs. Even when I was at TCU, 20 years ago, there were chapters where 2 recs were helpful, and now that recuitment numbers have doubled there I am hearing that it's not a bad idea to have 2 for all of the chapters if you can. Obviously Univ of Texas is its own creature with the copious amounts of letters of support that are submitted on behalf on the PNMs.

Anyway, would love to hear input from those in the know at other SEC and Texas schools, as well as other uber-competitive (Indiana?) schools.

Is 2 recs more helpful than 1 if they say the same thing? (As far as information about the PNM is concerned.) Is it just better because it's 2 alumnae endorsing a PNM instead of just 1?

AXOrushadvisor 08-24-2011 11:58 PM

I think recs are going to become increasingly important as sorority recruitment becomes more popular. I would not send my daughter through ANY recruitment without securing a rec for each Chapter on campus.

At Arizona State University I would absolutely have a rec secured for each Chapter. They are not mentioned in their recruitment booklet that they send out, but recruitment is getting more competitive every year.

Titchou 10-12-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 2080735)
Is 2 recs more helpful than 1 if they say the same thing? (As far as information about the PNM is concerned.) Is it just better because it's 2 alumnae endorsing a PNM instead of just 1?

Well, they shouldn't say the same thing because the writers aren't the same people. Everyone has their own perspective on a person so what I would say about Suzie Snowflake will differ from what you have to say. Yes, the resume will be the same but the opinion will differ or add credence to the first.
It's sort of like making a motion and getting a second.

DubaiSis 10-12-2011 10:17 AM

But 2 relatively generic recommendations is probably not worth the effort, ie., having an APH write you 2 recs. It would seem if you personally know 2 alumnae, getting a rec from both if you're at one of these competitive schools can only help, but just adding paper to your stack seems unnecessary. But someone can feel free to jump in and correct me!

violetpretty 10-12-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2099268)
But 2 relatively generic recommendations is probably not worth the effort, ie., having an APH write you 2 recs. It would seem if you personally know 2 alumnae, getting a rec from both if you're at one of these competitive schools can only help, but just adding paper to your stack seems unnecessary. But someone can feel free to jump in and correct me!

That's what I was getting at. Obviously a rec from 2 alumnae a PNM knows personally is helpful, because they'd be able to offer a different perspective. I meant to ask, "Is it really helpful to have 2 info-only recs (which would say the same thing) from two different APH members from a given sorority if you have no personal contacts for that sorority?"

Coug2012 12-27-2011 01:01 AM

Hi! I am going to washington state in fall of 2012 which I am really excited about :) I know recs never hurt but I was wondering how important they are at wsu. I know I can get some for a fair amount of the sororities at wsu but I am not sure if I will be able to get all 14 covered. I know plenty of people who were in sororties but the thing is a lot of them were in the same ones. So I guess all I am wondering is if to have a good chance at wsu do I need a rec to every single sorority?

CougADPi 12-27-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coug2012 (Post 2113966)
Hi! I am going to washington state in fall of 2012 which I am really excited about :) I know recs never hurt but I was wondering how important they are at wsu. I know I can get some for a fair amount of the sororities at wsu but I am not sure if I will be able to get all 14 covered. I know plenty of people who were in sororties but the thing is a lot of them were in the same ones. So I guess all I am wondering is if to have a good chance at wsu do I need a rec to every single sorority?

My first impulse is to say no it is not necessary to have one to every chapter, but since it has been a decade since I participated, I am asking some people and will hopefully have a better answer tomorrow.

Welcome to the Coug family! :)

Coug2012 12-27-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CougADPi (Post 2113970)
My first impulse is to say no it is not necessary to have one to every chapter, but since it has been a decade since I participated, I am asking some people and will hopefully have a better answer tomorrow.

Welcome to the Coug family! :)

thank you! I am so excited!

CougADPi 12-27-2011 01:13 PM

Ok, coming from people actually involved with the chapters at WSU right now (several different chapters), recommendations are a nice thing to have, but are no way required. Most people may have one or two, but it sounds like it would be fairly rare for someone to have one to every chapter.

33girl 12-27-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coug2012 (Post 2113966)

Even if they were in the same ones, they probably know people who were in different ones. :) It doesn't hurt to ask!

Coug2012 12-27-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CougADPi (Post 2114025)
Ok, coming from people actually involved with the chapters at WSU right now (several different chapters), recommendations are a nice thing to have, but are no way required. Most people may have one or two, but it sounds like it would be fairly rare for someone to have one to every chapter.

Thank you for checking, this is very helpful to know!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2114148)
Even if they were in the same ones, they probably know people who were in different ones. :) It doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this if the situation is right! but it doesn't sound like it is super important to have one to every single chapter so I am not going to stress about it too much.

Socalparent 05-09-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 1914118)
Let's start the list. I'll compile on this first post by continuously editing. Carnation, could you sticky this?

You Must Have Recs If You Are Attending Any Of These Schools:
All SEC schools (no exceptions!): Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy, LSU, Texas A&M
Big XII: Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas Christian
ACC: Florida State, Clemson
Pac 10: USC, Arizona
Big 10: Indiana
Southern Methodist
Southern Miss

My daughter and I recently visited OSU. Our tour guide was in a sorority so we asked about recruitment and specifically letters of rec. She said they weren't necessary but then I thought to double check here. I don't want to say the young lady didn't know but I'd rather err on the side of caution and get the recs.

I have a friend who is an alumnae of a sorority at USC so she's going to start the rec process and reach out to her friends too. She's a great believer in Greek life and has been very encouraging and positive. My daughter has also contacted the local Alumnae Panhellenic who is starting the process too. Thanks for the tips here on who, what, where to look.