GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Schools where you absolutely positively need recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112718)

Always AlphaGam 07-13-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2069782)
I looked and couldn't find it. What did some random girl post on there? I only saw stuff about new prints coming out for letters and the thing about the Miss USA pageant. Am I missing something?

It was eventually deleted by the Admin almost immediately after I posted this.

Basically a PNM from NC rushing at Bama this Fall wrote on the wall and solicited rec help. In true cut and paste form we see here on GC, she went from Page to Page of the NPC sororities for which she didn't have recs and just changed the sorority name.

als463 07-13-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam (Post 2069802)
It was eventually deleted by the Admin almost immediately after I posted this.

Basically a PNM from NC rushing at Bama this Fall wrote on the wall and solicited rec help. In true cut and paste form we see here on GC, she went from Page to Page of the NPC sororities for which she didn't have recs and just changed the sorority name.

Wow. That is just cheesy. I'm sorry I missed it.

efirefly 07-27-2011 04:18 PM

Recs for the University of Tennessee

What is the best way for someone new to a college (like the University of Tennessee) to get recs?

Always AlphaGam 07-27-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efirefly (Post 2073865)
What is the best way for someone new to a college (like the University of Tennessee) to get recs?

Ask your parents' friends, coaches, former teachers, people you know from church if they are members of sororities or know someone who is.

Contact your local Alumnae Panhellenic. A directory is listed at www.npcwomen.org -- if your local area is listed but there is no link, contact someone at NPC so they can put you in touch with someone in your area.

Sciencewoman 08-10-2011 08:33 PM

University of Michigan recs

My HS senior daughter and I went to a University of Michigan admissions event last night. One of the student panelists who is a sorority member told my daughter that she HIGHLY recommends recs, and multiple ones for each chapter are even a good idea. She specifically told us that she had recs for all the chapters when she went through recruitment. She said not everyone will have them, but recruitment draws large numbers of PNMs and it's easy to get lost in the crowd without a rec. I know that when I went through, there were several sororities that pledged a majority of legacies, and this student did join one of the sororities for which she is a legacy.

Since my daughter may go to Michigan next year, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any more up-to-date info. on the necessity of recs for this campus?

33girl 08-10-2011 08:52 PM

Stuff like this isn't going to change in that short of time - if a current sorority member says recs are good to have, get them. Especially if the number of girls going through rush or just the amount of students being admitted in general has been steadily increasing.

ml2314 08-11-2011 01:57 AM

is it appropriate to include a copy of your transcript with the letter of rec? also, a photo?

Benzgirl 08-11-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2078258)
My HS senior daughter and I went to a University of Michigan admissions event last night. One of the student panelists who is a sorority member told my daughter that she HIGHLY recommends recs, and multiple ones for each chapter are even a good idea. She specifically told us that she had recs for all the chapters when she went through recruitment. She said not everyone will have them, but recruitment draws large numbers of PNMs and it's easy to get lost in the crowd without a rec. I know that when I went through, there were several sororities that pledged a majority of legacies, and this student did join one of the sororities for which she is a legacy.

Since my daughter may go to Michigan next year, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any more up-to-date info. on the necessity of recs for this campus?

Disagree.

FSUZeta 08-11-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ml2314 (Post 2078346)
is it appropriate to include a copy of your transcript with the letter of rec? also, a photo?

yes, and make sure the photo is up to date and normal and flattering-not a prom pic, or a photo of you in a costume or uniform(cheerleading, band, majorette, girl scout, etc.)

wingsnhalos 08-14-2011 09:15 AM

UGA Definitely

You definitely need a rec for UGA.

MandyPepperidge 08-14-2011 09:34 AM

Going to disagree with UNC being on the must-have-rec list. However, if you are an out-of-state student, I would say it's good to get recs.

violetpretty 08-14-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2078391)
Disagree.

Disagree with needing recs at Michigan or disagree with Sciencewoman allowing her daughter to go there?

Benzgirl 08-14-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 2079619)
Disagree with needing recs at Michigan or disagree with Sciencewoman allowing her daughter to go there?

Needing recs. U of M is a great school. I have no problem with it.

ml2314 08-14-2011 11:05 PM

I got one last letter of rec. My problem is that it would now be late. Better to send it in late or not at all?

sunflowerx528 08-15-2011 02:09 AM

Does anyone know if recs are needed for Union University in Jackson, TN? There are only three sororities, so I'm not sure if that makes it more competitive or less?