GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   BLM protests at Sigma Chi house in San Jose (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247382)

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 12:34 PM

BLM protests at Sigma Chi house in San Jose
 
Hundreds protested outside the SJSU Sigma Chi house yesterday over the suicide of a Black Sigma Chi member 12 years ago.

Quote:

Marchers chanted “Bye Bye Sigma Chi” and “Black Lives Matter” while they walked through the downtown and displayed signs with similar slogans.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/...ent-death/amp/
Protesters claimed, without citing evidence, the deceased was actually murdered and the death covered up as part of an elaborate conspiracy.

What's your opinion? Is BLM correct and Sigma Chi should be shut down? Or does this unfairly penalize men who were 6 and 7 years old when the incident occurred?

Kevin 10-11-2020 12:46 PM

The protesters cite evidence of an unexplained cracked skull. You'd do better without all of these unfounded editorializations. I don't see how it's a legitimate question as to whether Sigma Chi would be shut down or if that's really in controversy. So this is kind of a silly OP. I'm not really sure what the OP had in mind.

Benzgirl 10-11-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480660)
The protesters cite evidence of an unexplained cracked skull. You'd do better without all of these unfounded editorializations. I don't see how it's a legitimate question as to whether Sigma Chi would be shut down or if that's really in controversy. So this is kind of a silly OP. I'm not really sure what the OP had in mind.

Could be that Sigma Chi is an obsession like KKG was to PT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 (Post 2480614)
FYI, I believe - and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong - that Sigma Chi's current Archivist has exceptional educational and professional pedigree in archives management but was not a Sigma Chi; he was initiated after he was hired (as a post-graduate, in other words) to allow him to fill the position.

:confused:

Kevin 10-11-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 2480664)
Could be that Sigma Chi is an obsession like KKG was to PT:



:confused:

I think it's just an attempt to stir isht. Maybe get some folks talking about how ridiculous this protest is and maybe he hopes there will be some folks who take offense to that contention and something blows up. But that's just me.

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480660)
The protesters cite evidence of an unexplained cracked skull.

Hmm ... I don't believe a cranial injury is evidence of an elaborate conspiracy, I think it's only evidence of a cranial injury.

But it's been awhile since I took Evidence so I may be wrong.

Do you think Sigma Chi should be shut down?

Kevin 10-11-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 (Post 2480669)
Hmm ... I don't believe a cranial injury is evidence of an elaborate conspiracy, I think it's only evidence of a cranial injury.

But it's been awhile since I took Evidence so I may be wrong.

Do you think Sigma Chi should be shut down?

I doubt you ever took Evidence, because sufficiency of physical evidence is not what that class is remotely about.

But as for the possibility of an "elaborate" conspiracy, my own grandfather's murder was almost successfully covered up by local officials trying to protect locals in rural Oklahoma. They would have been completely successful had my family not come from a place of privilege and power at the time.

I don't think your question is a serious one. No response necessary.

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480687)
But as for the possibility of an "elaborate" conspiracy, my own grandfather's murder was almost successfully covered up by local officials trying to protect locals in rural Oklahoma.

Interesting!

What do you think the motive was for Sigma Chi to allegedly murder one of their own members and then conspire with the San Jose, California police to stage it as a suicide?

I don't doubt there are all sorts of conspiracies that are theoretically possible - the Sigma Chi house murders, 9/11 truth, JFK third gunman etc - I just remain personally unconvinced. Though I have an open mind to compelling evidence.

Kevin 10-11-2020 03:35 PM

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but if it is claimed that there cannot possibly be a coverup, I'm saying it's possible.

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480689)
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but if it is claimed that there cannot possibly be a coverup, I'm saying it's possible.

Yes I suppose many things are technically possible.

I mean it's not proscribed by the laws of physics that 9/11 was an "inside job" as conspiracy theorists believe. So too, I suppose, it's physically possible Sigma Chi organized the murder of one of their members in 2008 and then organized a coverup with coconspirators in a major metro police department. I personally find that improbable in the absence of evidence to the contrary IMO.

(Keeping in mind that absence of information is not proof of a conspiracy.)

Kevin 10-11-2020 05:13 PM

All things are technically possible. And I'm guessing the family is more than simply speculating here, showing up with protesters more than a decade after the fact. If they're going to spend that kind of time and energy, I'd hazard a guess that it's probably based on more than nothing.

And honestly, if you don't think a major city's police department isn't capable of mucking up an investigation, then you've spent no time dealing with law enforcement investigations.

If you're going to try and personally attack me and make me out to be some sort of a crank, I'll give that attack its due response. I can see that meme you think you deleted.

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480698)
All things are technically possible. And I'm guessing the family is more than simply speculating here, showing up with protesters more than a decade after the fact. If they're going to spend that kind of time and energy, I'd hazard a guess that it's probably based on more than nothing.

Understandable.

From my perspective, as someone who believes science is real, I always try to keep Occam's Razor in mind. The likelihood of an elaborate conspiracy between Sigma Chi and the San Jose PD to murder SJSU students is less probable than an individual person committed suicide.

I understand that some family members of Vince Foster are among proponents of the idea that Hillary Clinton murdered him. And while I respect their opinion, I don't believe being a family member gives one any special investigatory power. I don't believe Hillary murdered Vince Foster or Sigma Chi is assassinating its members.

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480698)
If you're going to try and personally attack me and make me out to be some sort of a crank, I'll give that attack its due response. I can see that meme you think you deleted.

This one? https://media.cbs8.com/assets/KFMB/i...1_1140x641.jpg

That was directed to the conspiracy theorists from the article, not you. That's why it was a new post and not part of my reply to you. It was simply deleted because the image was too wide for the post dimensions, not as any kind of coverup.

I don't think anyone here is out to "get" you. I'm certainly not, anyway.

Benzgirl 10-11-2020 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 (Post 2480704)

I don't think anyone here is out to "get" you. I'm certainly not, anyway.



LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLL

Kevin 10-11-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 (Post 2480704)
I don't think anyone here is out to "get" you. I'm certainly not, anyway.

I'll be the judge of that. Thanks.

Ronaldo9 10-11-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2480725)
I'll be the judge of that. Thanks.

Ok.

Anyway, back to the topic.

It appears the family filed a half billion dollar lawsuit against Sigma Chi in federal court in 2015 which was dismissed a few weeks later. However, they represented themselves as every attorney they approached declined to take the case.

They're running a GoFundMe but have only raised $1600 in the last three months.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/02/...complaint/amp/
https://www.gofundme.com/f/justice-f...ory-johnson-jr


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.