GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Penn State - Today (9-8-15) is Bid Day! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=163636)

LionTamer 09-08-2015 03:53 PM

Penn State - Today (9-8-15) is Bid Day!

1600 registered for recruitment (down from 1740 last year)

Last year 1208 bids were extended - I'm assuming it will be a bit lower this year.

Although a bunch of my friends have daughters who are actives, don't know of anyone going through recruitment this year, but I'm still looking forward to news and/or pictures!

irishpipes 09-09-2015 10:30 AM

GPhi B 57
APhi 56
AXO 67
KKG 57
DG 65
ZTA 65
AXiD 72
SK 68
KD 60

Looks like quota was likely 56.

ladybug12 09-09-2015 11:19 AM

Yes it was.

Freshman quota 41, upperclass quota 15.

LionTamer 09-09-2015 12:22 PM

So 1100 bids were extended at this year's Fall recruitment (vs 1208 last year)

Still going strong

shadokat 09-09-2015 02:18 PM

ADPi - 64
DZ - 60
Phi Mu - 45
Phi Sigma Sigma - 50

honeychile 09-09-2015 04:25 PM

Does PSU have the largest greek system, or one of them?

LionTamer 09-09-2015 04:52 PM

It's large, especially in number of chapters (18 NPC + 3 "associate" chapters, 47 IFC chapters) , but not in the percent of people who are go Greek (<20% of the 38K students).

Two sorority chapters were suspended in recent years - TriDelt and ChiO - but other than those two, Penn State Panhel has expressed the desire to see ALL the NPC sororities on campus. They extended an invitation to AGD, but AGD was too busy with other installations/reinstallations. I imagine TriDelt and ChiO will be invited back in the not-too-distant future.

The suspensions and re-in-statements of the fraternities is too tough to track

honeychile 09-09-2015 05:48 PM

One of the very first sorority women I knew our next door neighbor, who had been a Tri-Delta at PSU. She almost always had her Tridents on the coffee table, which was one of the best ways of recruiting subliminally that I ever saw. Well, that and having my mother constantly reminding me that my grandmother was a Kappa!

I only found out a few years ago that two of my great-aunts were members of the local which became Theta at PSU.

honeychile 09-09-2015 06:41 PM

Also, isn't there a sub-rose Tri Delta chapter?

Griffins&Quills 09-09-2015 06:43 PM

I think they operate under the name Trilogy, though, at this point, since they closed in 2009, I don't know if there would be any actual Tri Delta members remaining.

ladybug12 09-09-2015 07:44 PM

According to ICS, 495 registered women either did not participate, were released, or chose to withdraw from recruitment. About 150 PNMs withdrew on preference day alone. These numbers are mind-boggling to me.

clemsongirl 09-09-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LionTamer (Post 2341146)
It's large, especially in number of chapters (18 NPC + 3 "associate" chapters, 47 IFC chapters) , but not in the percent of people who are go Greek (<20% of the 38K students).

Two sorority chapters were suspended in recent years - TriDelt and ChiO - but other than those two, Penn State Panhel has expressed the desire to see ALL the NPC sororities on campus. They extended an invitation to AGD, but AGD was too busy with other installations/reinstallations. I imagine TriDelt and ChiO will be invited back in the not-too-distant future.

The suspensions and re-in-statements of the fraternities is too tough to track

I didn't realize AGD had been invited to return and had to decline. Pennsylvania has so many colleges with Greek Life that I actually think every NPC sorority would be successful in colonizing or recolonizing. Are there enough equivalent dorm floors that the sororities use for every chapter that wants one?

33girl 09-09-2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybug12 (Post 2341213)
According to ICS, 495 registered women either did not participate, were released, or chose to withdraw from recruitment. About 150 PNMs withdrew on preference day alone. These numbers are mind-boggling to me.

Recruitment registration is under $50 so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of women who sign up just to check it out and decide it's not for them. There are still lots of first generation Greeks and/or students whose parents may have been Greek, but in a much different kind of system. The majority of the women going through probably do not have a full complement of recs, if any. When it's less work to prepare to go through rush (as opposed to an SEC rush) withdrawal isn't as big of a deal.

Plus, remember that sorority membership is not going to give you the chance to live in a mansion, in case anyone was looking at it for that angle.

ladybug12 09-09-2015 09:59 PM

Oh, I agree that it is a different system and culture that I am accustomed to working with. So many PNMs mentioned THON as something they wanted to be involved with on the sorority level and "open-minded" as their personal strength that I found it odd that so many chose to drop out at the last minute.
But, we are dealing with 18-20 year olds and their expectations. Personally,I would find it better to be in any sorority on this campus with 200 sisters rather than 35,000+ students on my own.