GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Plegdes wearing letters??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1320)

KSigkid 04-26-2001 06:49 PM

The Kappa Sigma national standard is that pledges can wear letters, but they can't wear the crest or the letters AEKDB (our secret motto) My chapter doesn't allow pledges to wear letters or Kappa Sigma at all.

LexiKD 04-26-2001 09:52 PM

We allow are New Members to wear letters and use stickers and such, but they cannot use the crest/badge, mostly because they have no idea what they mean. But I think allowing New Members to wear letters shows that they are part of the group and just working towards the good stuff!
Can anyone explian why New Members shouldn't wear letters or the reason behind your policies/chapter tadition?

zete_boy 04-26-2001 11:10 PM

ecukd,

It's not the fact that we don't want our pledges to feel a part of us, it's that the letters mean something to us and stand for something. Pledges don't know what they mean, so it's not fair for them to wear them. Also, not letting them wear letters till they are brothers, gives them more pride the first time they are allowed to wear them, gives them a sense of acomplishment and that they truly earned to be here and wear them.

------------------
Edgar A. Hartling
Zulu and Constitution Contact
Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America - Alpha Mu Chapter
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

LexiKD 04-27-2001 12:19 AM

I understand the concept, it's the same as our New Members not wearing a badge or our crest, but how does anyone know who is a new member in your organization?
I guess why I cannot fully understand is at ECU we have Panhellenic events and Greek info sessions where our entire organization, including new and old wear letters to promote each chapter. Also we have letter day each week. I felt as a new member it was awesome to look cute in my letters once a week and it did make me feel like part of the group before I was a real KD. I guess my situation was diferent beacuse we were KD new members from April until November...we were a colony and came on to campus in April, but did not colonize until after Formal Recruitment, so if I couldn't have worn letters I would have felt very lost. But I assume most normal new member periods are 6-8weeks then it really may not be an issue!
Thanks for the insight!

------------------
Lexi Hasapis

KSig RC 04-27-2001 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ecukd:
I understand the concept, it's the same as our New Members not wearing a badge or our crest, but how does anyone know who is a new member in your organization?

Pledge pin - most are pretty easy to recognize (ie SAE is pretty different from Chi Phi and from ours), so that's how pledges are associated with their organization here. Hope this helps!

Rob

juniorgrrl 04-27-2001 03:48 PM

At LSU, all the sororities give out stitched letters on Bid Day. The only exceptions are Theta (who just wears "Theta") and Pi Beta Phi (who just wears "Pi Phi").

LexiKD 04-27-2001 11:38 PM

The majority of our Fraternity chapters do not use pins, that I see. Unless they are dressed up or dressed alike, then it's pretty easy. Sororities ususally wear colored ribbons, except KD, ZTA, and Alpha phi, so we know who is who.
ECU is small enough that everyone knows who everyone else is, so it's easy for us to tell who is in what, but I was just curious about other schools!
Thanks!

------------------
Lexi

Miami1839 04-28-2001 06:23 PM

I think its just different for guys than it is for girls. In many respects. When it comes to new members wearing letters or even recruitment. I guess it is difficult to tell on the weekends or when your out whos a pledge and whos a brother. Unless your in class and they're wearing their pins. My Fraternity pin has three stars. I suppose if you hang out with a particular fraternity or sorority everyone gets to know everyone else. So the people that are new sort of stick out and you can tell if they are brothers or not.

PiBetaPhi 04-28-2001 08:35 PM

as pi phi-you can only wear words during your pledgeship. once you go through initiation, then you can wear whatever you want to. the reason behind this is that as pledges you don't know the true meaning of the letters. once you know the true meaning then you may wear pi phi letters. it makes it more special!!

kappagirl00 04-29-2001 02:52 AM

While we're on the subject of letters, I've been wondering something. At my school, only one NPC sorority wears stitch on letters, and none of the IFC frats do. I'm not sure about the other GLO's because many of them don't wear letters often in any way, shape, or form. I guess stitch ons just aren't popular here -- any other campuses like mine?

papi_chuloDK 05-02-2001 06:29 PM

Wow, pledges wearing letter?? Damn, haven't seen that before. Our pledges wear their pledge pins and that's it. They can't wear anything with our letters on it. What would be the point? They want to join our family and what good is it if they are already wearing the letter?

DGPhoney 05-04-2001 02:08 AM

Our Ladies aren't allowed to wear letters until the day the finish , but if we have an event or an activity then they can wear a greek letter shirt but it's wore inside out.
But they can wear it if it's spelled out in words
DGPhoney~

------------------
"Simply the Best, Delta Gamma Pi"
http://everythingblack.websitenow.com/citron

gammazetagrl 05-04-2001 02:46 AM

In the Gamma Zeta chapter of Pi Sigma Epsilon's bylaws, there is a rule about how the prospective members (pledges)cannot wear letters, badges or the crest until after initiation. I think it is because according to PSE's point of view, wearing the letters is a right that has to be earned.--except for the recruitment t shirt (they can wear that and the letters appear on the upper left hand corner) Although the prospective members get presents in the beginning of hand painted picture frames and cups that have PSE on it.after initiation, they get presents like the shirts, sweaters, lavalieres etc....but i think no matter how your organization does it, wearing the letters is something to be proud of, no matter how early you did it!

USFSDTAlum 05-04-2001 02:42 PM

our new members can wear anything but stiched on Greek letters letters, including any t-shirt with our lettes on it, or any stiched t-shirt that spells out SDT (as an S, D, and T)our pledge jerseys are commonly stiched "sig delt".

LexiKD 05-04-2001 03:28 PM

I guess it comes down to your campus. We have Panhellenic events and we have to wear letters to participate, so we cannot get around it. We also need as much PR as possible so it helps if one day out of the week 700 women are wearing stiched letters.
We have 9 NPC groups and we all comply so I guess our groups don't have the same regulations as many out there or maybe each chapter can regulate that differently.
Our groups are:
KD
DZ
AOPi
ADPi
AZD
Alpha Phi
Sigma Sigma Sigma
ZTA
Chi O