GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Texas Recuitment Info (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93030)

Kitemom 01-17-2008 01:12 AM

Texas Recuitment Info

My daughter just went through the rush process so I will try to think of stuff while it is fresh.
Soroities are Big in Texas, like hair and the state. You will needs recs at the following school: Baylor, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, NTSU, A&M. Your will need recs and additional letters of support for the Univ. of Texas. Being a legacy helps at some school, the private school and may not be necessary at other.
Each city in Texas (Dallas, Houston, Arlington, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Midland, Katy, Sugarland, etc have Alumane panhellenic association. Many have web sites. FYI
Houston Meeting Saturday, February 23, 2008
10:00 AM and 12:00 noon
St Luke's Methodist Church
3471 Westheimer at Edloe
Sometime during the Spring of your senior year they will have a meeting. At the meeting they will give you names of individual sorority recuritment local person. This is an alumi of the sorority who coordinates the gathering of your hs transcript, photos (Face and standing) and sends it to the sorotiy. Each soroity has diffenent request. Some want two photos, etc. This person is very helpful and you should write her a thank you note when you are finished. Each school has different dates they need your information. It is in June for UT, Tech,etc. Later for Baylor and SMU as they don't have rush until Jan. So don't delay too long in getting pictures taken and your transcripts form your hs.
I would suggest that you get a rec for each sorority. My daughter found people to write them for her that were teachers, friends from church, family friends and her grandmother friends. People in one sorority could often recommend people in other sororities who where their friends who could write recs for you. You will need to make a resume to send to each of these people as well as a small picture of you. (wallet size) This being said my daughter had friends that pledged sororities at Tech, A&M, TCU, Baylor, SMU, NTSU and Texas. She had friends that joined sororities in AZ and none of this applied at all. It did apply to LSU. Best of luck just remember it takes time. In the end the payoff is great.:)

tinydancer 01-17-2008 01:52 AM

Thanks for posting this. Very accurate information. I hope it will help some of the young ladies thinking about recruitment.:)

FSUZeta 01-17-2008 08:12 AM

i know that the houston alumnae panhellenic chapter is very particular about who attends their recruitment information session. they want to limit it to pnms within a certain geographic area. their website is very helpful and spells out which pnms would fall under their jurisdiction and which alumnae panhellenic chapters the other pnms should contact.

Kitemom 01-17-2008 11:39 AM

If you look at the houston site it sends you to different meetings based on the high school you attend. There meeting is fairly soon and other follow.

NinjaPoodle 01-17-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitemom (Post 1582872)
If you look at the houston site it sends you to different meetings based on the high school you attend. There meeting is fairly soon and other follow.

http://www.houston-panhellenic.org/rush/default.htm

LadyLonghorn 01-17-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitemom (Post 1582736)
Your will need recs and additional letters of support for the Univ. of Texas.

I can't stress how important this is. UT is not the SEC, but darned close!

Kitemom 01-17-2008 07:28 PM

Ask people who went there or are there now. I think my daughter thought she needed 10 or maybe more additional letters of support at UT. But when she did pick UT this info left my mind, if it important for someone to know I can find it out.

knight_shadow 01-17-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

NTSU

NTSU is now the University of North Texas (UNT)

Kitemom 01-17-2008 11:32 PM

Sorry I now that and I still call Texas State SW Texas State. Old habit are hard to break and I wished will still had the SW Conference.

knight_shadow 01-18-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitemom (Post 1583236)
Sorry I now that and I still call Texas State SW Texas State. Old habit are hard to break and I wished will still had the SW Conference.

Oh, I figured you already knew :) That was more for new people or non-Texans who happened to run across this thread.

I still call "Texas State" SWT too; just flows a little bit better haha

LPIDelta 01-18-2008 09:30 PM

The Panhellenic Association of San Antonio's website is found at http://www.panhellenic-sa.org/701.html.

As an FYI, we no longer hold an informational meeting in the spring. We do our outreach through college fairs and the web. To register through the PASA, visit the website and review the information there regarding recruitment.

SWTXBelle 01-18-2008 09:34 PM

My alma mater will always be Southwest Texas to me, too!

epchick 02-05-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Each city in Texas (Dallas, Houston, Arlington, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Midland, Katy, Sugarland, etc have Alumane panhellenic association)

I also just wanted to mention that El Paso has an Alumnae Panhellenic Association as well. From my understanding its not that well known...but I was told they are trying to get more people involved and it known to the High school girls.

I don't think we have a website though

wildcatfan 02-07-2008 03:03 PM

[quote=Kitemom;1582736] You will needs recs at the following school: Baylor, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, NTSU, A&M. Your will need recs and additional letters of support for the Univ. of Texas.
This being said my daughter had friends that pledged sororities at Tech, A&M, TCU, Baylor, SMU, NTSU and Texas. She had friends that joined sororities in AZ and none of this applied at all.

In the Midwest, Pahellenic is actively deemphasizing the importance of recs to PNMs, you know, "levelling the playing field" and all that. (We have many, many PNMs that go through rush that have never solicited a single rec.) Have they tried to implement this change in the South as well? Or, have the greek culture and alumnae there held Panhellenic at bay?

33girl 02-07-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcatfan (Post 1595866)
In the Midwest, Panhellenic is actively deemphasizing the importance of recs to PNMs, you know, "levelling the playing field" and all that. (We have many, many PNMs that go through rush that have never solicited a single rec.) Have they tried to implement this change in the South as well? Or, have the greek culture and alumnae there held Panhellenic at bay?

Do you mean a certain city's Panhellenic? "The Midwest" covers a lot of campi.