GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek History (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   When did "dinks" die? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=136661)

naraht 11-04-2013 03:39 PM

When did "dinks" die?

"Dinks" were one term for the special hats/caps that freshmen (often just the men) had to wear on campus either during their entire freshman year or in some cases just until homecoming.

If you remember in Animal House that the freshmen looking to pledge had those hats on, those were dinks.

Also, these days is there *anything* that a Freshman would be expected to have/wear/whatever during the first part of the school year that a later year wouldn't at your school?

AOII Angel 11-04-2013 04:39 PM

I thought you were talking about "Double Income No Kids"

thetalady 11-04-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2248418)

I did, too... and I was starting to get a little worried for myself!

I alwasy thought those stilly little hats were just called beanies.

NutBrnHair 11-04-2013 06:27 PM

I'm guessing they died in the early/mid 1960s.

nyapbp 11-04-2013 06:55 PM

I have a 1969 yearbook from Southern Illinois University in front of me. "A bevy of white beanies identified New Student Week leaders at the opening convocations." Beanies were still being used for identification purposes but not to identify all the freshmen. I think they were totally gone by the early 70s in most places.

An older friend of mine who was an adademic advisor during the 50-80s called the introduction of blue jeans into acceptable campus wear as the great equilizer. I suspect beanie went near or about the same time that women could wear pants and/or jeans to class.

WCsweet<3 11-04-2013 07:07 PM

My mother still has hers and she started college in 1969.

The freshmen at my campuses didn't have anything official to wear designating their year. However, freshmen did have a tendency to wear the school lanyard (given by the school as a welcoming present) around their necks. Upperclassmen never wore it that way.

ComradesTrue 11-04-2013 07:42 PM

My mom, class of '68, still has her beanie too. Recently she asked me if I still had mine. (????)

I had to break it to her that those vanished in the early 70s on our campus and were long gone by the time I started college in the 90s. She had no idea.

DrPhil 11-04-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2248418)

Same here and I was going to say DINKs are definitely not dead.

AnchorAlumna 11-05-2013 11:18 AM

Husband went to a small college his freshman year, 1970, and they were worn for the first week or so. They also had a week of light hazing activities and a day of games or something - I think he won a tricycle race.
But before we graduated, they were gone.

Sassmofi 11-08-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyapbp (Post 2248432)
I have a 1969 yearbook from Southern Illinois University in front of me. "A bevy of white beanies identified New Student Week leaders at the opening convocations." Beanies were still being used for identification purposes but not to identify all the freshmen. I think they were totally gone by the early 70s in most places.

The yearbook could very well have my mother or father in the picture. I will have to ask them and the beanies. I remember our housing core president showing us her Sigma pledge beanie, but I think she attended early 60's.

chi-o_cat 11-08-2013 08:25 AM

My university sent out a fundraising solicitation at the end of last year that also included a 2013 calendar featuring a “Then and Now” photo collage, which has been decorating my cubicle all year. One of the vintage photos is of a male and female student at a picnic (or some sort of meal served outdoors) and they are both wearing a beanie! The picture isn’t dated, though. It looks like 50’s or early 60’s.

honeychile 11-09-2013 12:20 PM

The last person I know of that wore one went to a small college in PA (I think Indiana University), and graduated from Pitt in 1979. She's the only person I know who ever wore one - or admitted it.

Tom Earp 12-23-2013 02:15 PM

My Frosh year at NWMU 1960 we wore green and white beenies.
Some Jocks had a deal with a selected frosh to shave his head on the lawn of Admin. They some grabbed me and shaved 1/2 of my head. Was not happy. They let classes out for this and then a march to the town square. I led a revolt and there was major goings on, no longer had beenies, LOL!:cool:

College hazing and they think we greeks have a lock on hazing???

Kevin 12-24-2013 09:42 PM

That's awesome.

ASTalumna06 01-06-2014 03:01 AM

At our alumnae meeting this weekend, we were asked to bring our favorite set of letters from our collegiate days, and one of our sisters who's turning 80 this month brought one of her dinks. It was green with our letters in gold on the front. She said it was 61 years old and all the sisters wore them back then.

Other sisters asked, "You wore hats?" She corrected them, and I was happy to know I learned the term "dink" from here on Greekchat :)