GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Locals (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Updates (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=88549)

ZetaXiDelta 07-10-2007 09:35 PM

Updates

Just wondering what all of the locals have been up to. Zeta Xi Delta is a new local sorority but will not be recognized by the college until the fall semester begins. So, for now we're getting everything organized and today we lined up our first philanthropy project for the fall. :) Our philanthropy is breast cancer awareness and we will be walking with the ACS in their Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk!

I'd love to hear how/what the other locals from this board are doing! :D

OmegaPDPrez 07-25-2007 11:08 AM

Welcome to GC!

I love your philanthropy! And Good luck to you in the fall. How new is your sorority? How many member do you have so far?

I'm in a fairly new local. We have only been active for two semesters. Right now we are planning our community events, (we dont have any specific philanthropy, our goal is to volunteer throughout the city our school is located in).
We currently have six active members-including myself- and we are planning our recruitment process as well, during this summer.

ZetaXiDelta 07-25-2007 12:51 PM

I sent you a PM :D

OmegaPDPrez 07-27-2007 12:53 AM

Here is the paddle that i made today, Went to A C Moore, Finally!!!
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...25130_2296.jpg

ZetaXiDelta 07-27-2007 08:58 AM

Oh, wow! Awesome :) I like the idea of painting them...will have to try that!

OmegaPDPrez 07-31-2007 04:54 PM

so the next time i go i want to do one in all wood. only myself and one other member did one. so hopefully i can get all the girls to do them together. as a sister thing, before school starts.

Xidelt 07-31-2007 08:06 PM

A suggestion for a tradition: if you have big sisters and little sisters, you can have bigs and littles make paddles for each other and exchange them. Many sororities do this. In my sorority, little sisters make paddles for their big, have all of the active sisters sign the back of the paddle, and present it to their big at initiation. The little keeps the paddle covered so her big doesn't see it until it's presented.

ZetaXiDelta 07-31-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xidelt (Post 1494633)
A suggestion for a tradition: if you have big sisters and little sisters, you can have bigs and littles make paddles for each other and exchange them. Many sororities do this. In my sorority, little sisters make paddles for their big, have all of the active sisters sign the back of the paddle, and present it to their big at initiation. The little keeps the paddle covered so her big doesn't see it until it's presented.

I like this idea! We were thinking about having a big/lil paddle exchange, but i like this idea better (esp. since its during 1 ceremony rather than having a separate paddle exchange ceremony/event.)

OmegaPDPrez 07-31-2007 08:16 PM

i like the idea of bigs and littles making each other paddles. thats a great new tradition

ZetaXiDelta 08-01-2007 08:16 AM

Do you have any idea what kinds of events you want to have for recruitment/rush?

OmegaPDPrez 08-01-2007 05:14 PM

Gosh, I don't know how to recruit, sense my school wont recognize us. So my group wouldnt be able to use Student Activites to help us promote- like posting flyers, or using sidewalk chalk. -- nothing! so im thinking that maybe we'll get an interest group together by just telling friends, to tell other friends???
maybe i should look up a thread on recruiment for locals....
What will you be doing?
Do you have any advice for my group???

ZetaXiDelta 08-01-2007 05:48 PM

Well, we're not recognized by our college *yet*...we will be going through that process in Sept. once the student gov't office and Parliament open back up.

What I've been doing (so far) is posting threads in my school's forum on MySpace. I've also made a Zeta Xi Delta profile on Facebook where I can keep track of interested girls (we have 7 interested girls on our FB profile so far!). They can also use this to ask questions, post concerns, and get to know one another before September. The only thing about the FB profile is that because I did not use a school registered e-mail address (we won't have one until we're recognized) I am not able to join groups that are in my college's network because all but 3 are specifically for those people on that network. However, the 3 I have joined (luckily they're global!) are for incoming Freshman! So, at the moment, I am only able to reach out to incoming Freshman. We also have a sorority website, which I make sure to advertise whenever I post anything about the sorority.

Once school begins, they have what is called "Activities Day" during the 2nd week of classes. This is where all of the college recognized organizations can set up a table and meet with people who are interested in their group. What stinks about this is that it is BEFORE we'll be recognized! However, I think that we'll end up setting something up in the dining center where people will still be able to see us, but we won't have to ask permission to do so :rolleyes:. If you have Microsoft Publisher, you can make pamphlets to hand out....I'm going to make some up and hand them out to girls who stop by to see us at our table. I'm also going to try to get to campus before classes begin so I can hang flyers on bulletin boards in each of the buildings.

We haven't really discussed our rush events yet because we haven't had time to meet up. When we get things figured out (most likely in the next few weeks) I'll let you know what we came up with! :D

OmegaPDPrez 08-02-2007 12:23 AM

making pamphlets seem like a great idea! maybe i might do that. I am hoping to have an informational meeting. And then shortly after, i would like to have a rush week with all interests. I think that as a group we would all have to first decide how many people we would like to have join. There are only six of us. so i wouldnt imagine bringing more than that to the group.
And i think im going to steal your idea about posting threads at the schools page on myspace. alot of freshman are memebers in these groups. that should be great publicity.
I think i might even make an interest group on facebook too. Just to see how many girls might show to the interest meeting in the fall.
I love the ideas~
Im stealing them all, hope you dont mind

Xidelt 08-02-2007 12:48 AM

I'm an alum of my local sorority, but the current sisters have had some success advertising rush with ads on Facebook. I don't think it costs a whole ton either. Also, if lots of students live on campus, flyer the freshman dorms heavily!

OmegaPDPrez 08-02-2007 01:26 AM

what about non registered groups?

how do you think groups like the local i am in, should go about recruiment on a campus that will not recognize them as a sorority?