GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   End of "no contact" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247059)

AnchorAlumna 05-15-2020 06:34 PM

End of "no contact"

I am hearing that NPC is loosening the rules about "no contact" between PNMs and active members during the summer before recruitment.
Tell us more, please!

Titchou 05-15-2020 07:31 PM

That's a College PH decision - not NPC...

33girl 05-15-2020 07:42 PM

I’m guessing that since some of the traditional things like Greek preview weekends couldn’t be held, there needs to be another way to get to know PNMs.

DoctorD 05-15-2020 09:46 PM

The new policy is in the Recruitment Contingencies Task Force Report - found on NPC page, but doesn't seem to want to link:

Promotion of the Sorority Experience (2020) – POLICY

All sorority women including collegians, alumnae, College Panhellenics, Alumnae Panhellenics, inter/national organizations and the National Panhellenic Conference should actively promote the overall sorority experience and membership opportunities in organizations. This should be done through all forms of communication (e.g., print, digital, in person) in the spirit of Panhellenic unity and desire to reach out to all women to share the opportunity for sorority membership. College and Alumnae Panhellenic rules should not infringe on the rights of individuals, chapters and/or organizations in the content or forms of communication to promote the sorority experience.

Rationale: We continue to need to attract potential new members through all means, especially when women’s college enrollment will be lower and their uncertainty about their college future may be high. As a Panhellenic community and as individual organizations, we must communicate the value of the sorority experience as never before, specifically highlighting the continued relevance and power of sorority during this time of physical separation. Communication should address the specific challenges we are facing right now and counter any potential new member instincts to defer joining because they think "real sorority" can only happen on campus in person. This new policy allows for broad promotion of the sorority experience and gives all involved the right to market the experience to prospective members in the spirit of Panhellenic unity while still talking about inter/national organizations and chapters

thetalady 06-25-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2475457)
That's a College PH decision - not NPC...

Nope. It is coming from NPC and specifically overrides local restrictions.

Resolved to Educate

Titchou 06-25-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2476396)
Nope. It is coming from NPC and specifically overrides local restrictions.

Resolved to Educate

My post was back in May before this document came out - at least long before I received it from NPC

carnation 06-25-2020 09:35 PM

When I was at Arkansas, they had sophomore rush. Members could ask rushees on "Coke dates" over the summer. The thing was that a lot of girls were never asked on one and they were devastated. Some didn't even bother rushing, and a few transferred. I can see that happening with PNMs who get less attention on social media.

thetalady 06-25-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2476397)
My post was back in May before this document came out - at least long before I received it from NPC

Got it... it sure looks like the changes that were implemented are a lot different from what people were told was coming back in May.

honeychile 06-26-2020 10:52 AM

Does anyone else see the floodgates of Dirty Rushing being flung wide open?

Cheerio 06-26-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2476407)

While I trust a vast majority of the NPC women I know, the POTENTIAL exists for what honeychile fears. May better wisdom guide those who contemplate non-panhellenic actions during this challenging recruitment season.

I will do my panhellenic part to refrain from dirty rushing.

aephi alum 06-26-2020 07:09 PM

Interesting.

Back in the day at my school, we had summer rush. (Yes, I'm enough of a dinosaur that it was still called rush.) Usually a sorority chapter would partner with a fraternity chapter and invite both men and women from whatever city. We were pretty fortunate to partner with a fraternity chapter that picked up the majority of the expenses (as they were rather larger than we were) - we didn't have to lay out a lot of money, which was good for us, and they had women at their rush party, which was good for them. I participated in summer rush from the sister side for two years in NYC - we'd go into Central Park and have some sandwiches and soda and toss a frisbee around and such. Fun times. (I didn't participate in summer rush when I was a rising senior because I was a rho chi. (Did I mention I'm a dinosaur? LOL))

The rules were, no booze, no badmouthing other GLOs, and no telling a rushee that they wouldn't be getting a bid, no matter how much of an asshole they were. I think ending "no contact" during the summer would work under those rules.

honeychile 06-26-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2476419)
Interesting.

Back in the day at my school, we had summer rush. (Yes, I'm enough of a dinosaur that it was still called rush.) Usually a sorority chapter would partner with a fraternity chapter and invite both men and women from whatever city. We were pretty fortunate to partner with a fraternity chapter that picked up the majority of the expenses (as they were rather larger than we were) - we didn't have to lay out a lot of money, which was good for us, and they had women at their rush party, which was good for them. I participated in summer rush from the sister side for two years in NYC - we'd go into Central Park and have some sandwiches and soda and toss a frisbee around and such. Fun times. (I didn't participate in summer rush when I was a rising senior because I was a rho chi. (Did I mention I'm a dinosaur? LOL))

The rules were, no booze, no badmouthing other GLOs, and no telling a rushee that they wouldn't be getting a bid, no matter how much of an asshole they were. I think ending "no contact" during the summer would work under those rules.

I'm pretty sure that we're of an age, and I remember much of the same. The only thing is that ours wasn't quite as formal, and there was a LOT of dirty rushing. That's why I have such a negative response to this.

SWTXBelle 06-27-2020 09:49 AM

I think this will actually lead to less dirty rushing, as everything can now be above board. We all know it was going on underground before - so, here's hoping!

APhi2KD 06-28-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2476407)

Nope. The dirty rushers already dirty rush regardless of policy.

ChioLu 06-28-2020 09:55 PM

The summer before I went through Rush at the University of Tulsa, TU Panhellenic had summer introduction parties (about 3 during the summer). These were held in different cities where enrollment was highest for TU. All incoming female students were invited (depending on proximity to the city the party was being held). At the parties, members of every sorority were present, wearing their letters, and you got to have casual conversations with the members. An easy way to get to know each other, on both sides. Granted, you could tell which PNM’s only wanted a couple of groups, because that’s all they wanted to talk with. I made sure I could gracefully exit a conversation to talk to another sorority and keep impartiality. I know this helped immensely in my recruitment. I also met the woman who would become my big sis and, and even now, we live only 15 minutes from each other, in California. I am the godmother to her two daughters and we have lunch about once a month. I realize that this would not work for a lot of universities.

UCLA has a “new student weekend”, late spring, where all incoming students are invited to tour the University. In that weekend, any student who is interested in or curious about Greek life are invited to tour all chapters on campus, schedules involved (fraternities for men, sororities for women). Parents are encouraged to attend. A meet and greet, light refreshments are served, house tours, casual conversationsas well as in-depth conversations (like finances) happen. It has increased registration. Thanks Troy and Mande!

I don’t know if some universities still have legacy weekend, where HS seniors who have been accepted to the University and have legacy status are invited to stay at their legacy house over a spring weekend and meet the members. Always thought this was dirty rushing.