GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tom Wolfe's next: "an X-rated Animal House" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54554)

hoosier 07-28-2004 07:00 PM

Tom Wolfe's next: "an X-rated Animal House"

Rolling Stone (Aug. 5) has an 8-page excerpt of Tom Wolfe's next novel - "I am Charlotte Simmons" - and the exploits of fraternity brothers Hoyt and Vance are described as "an X-rated Animal House" in the book.

The book will be coming out this fall, and will drag our GLOs thru the mud again.

It's sure to get MUCH MORE attention and more reviews than anything that Robbins lady or the Clemson Kappa Sig wrote.

James 07-28-2004 10:32 PM

He wrote the Right Stuff correct? Great book, great author.

AlphaSigOU 07-28-2004 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James
He wrote the Right Stuff correct? Great book, great author.
Roger that... only thing I didn't like about it is it portrayed astronaut Virgil (Gus) Grissom as one who 'screwed the pooch' and panicked trying to get out of his Liberty Bell 7 spacecraft, causing it to sink (it was finally recovered nearly 40 years later and restored). Gus didn't screw the pooch! A stray current caused the explosive cord around the hatch to explode before the helicopter could hook up to it.

Had Gus lived (he died in the Apollo 1 capsule fire in 1967) it would have probably been him instead of Armstrong who first set foot on the moon.

Peaches-n-Cream 07-29-2004 12:57 AM

What does 'screwed the pooch' mean? :confused: It sounds dirty. :p

Tom Wolfe is a very talented writer. I especially enjoyed his satire of life in New York, The Bonfire of the Vanities.

AlphaSigOU 07-29-2004 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
What does 'screwed the pooch' mean? :confused: It sounds dirty. :p
Generally, making a huge mistake. Sounds a helluva lot better than the more obscene variation of the above. :) :D

astroAPhi 07-29-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Had Gus lived (he died in the Apollo 1 capsule fire in 1967) it would have probably been him instead of Armstrong who first set foot on the moon.
With Deke in charge, he definitely would have.

breathesgelatin 07-30-2004 11:06 AM

Tom Wolfe ROCKS!!! He went to W&L and he's on campus at least once a year. I ate at the Dining hall at the table next to him this past year.

Another Highly recommended book of his (one of my personal favorites) is A Man in Full.

And you know? I don't think Wolfe will be focusing in on the fraternity stuff exclusively. That's not the way he writes. Maybe he will, who knows, but I kind of doubt it. And I can guarantee that in 4 years at W&L he was either Greek or picked up some opinions about Greeks. Particularly in that era (he is class of '52 I believe).

James 07-30-2004 08:39 PM

If he's Greek I am sure someone is claiming him on some web site . . .

Quote:

Originally posted by breathesgelatin
Tom Wolfe ROCKS!!! He went to W&L and he's on campus at least once a year. I ate at the Dining hall at the table next to him this past year.

Another Highly recommended book of his (one of my personal favorites) is A Man in Full.

And you know? I don't think Wolfe will be focusing in on the fraternity stuff exclusively. That's not the way he writes. Maybe he will, who knows, but I kind of doubt it. And I can guarantee that in 4 years at W&L he was either Greek or picked up some opinions about Greeks. Particularly in that era (he is class of '52 I believe).

Munchkin03 08-01-2004 10:33 PM

I'm surprised so many people here know who Tom Wolfe is!

He's big into this cause that my boss is into. It's funny when he calls the office.

KillarneyRose 08-01-2004 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by breathesgelatin

Doesn't he always wear a white linen suit when he's out in public? I think I read that somewhere.

Anyhow, I loved "A Man in Full" and "Bonfire of the Vanities" and I'm pretty confident that "I am Charlotte Simmons" will be a great read as well. I'm looking forward to it!

Peaches-n-Cream 08-01-2004 11:28 PM

I'm not surprised. I think that there are some well-read people on GC. :)

breathesgelatin 08-02-2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Doesn't he always wear a white linen suit when he's out in public? I think I read that somewhere.
Yes, this is totally true. You can always pick him out at alumni events because of the white suits.

Peaches-n-Cream 11-07-2004 12:04 AM

Tom Wolfe's latest novel will be available in a few days.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...=home&SEC=news

Firehouse 11-07-2004 12:10 AM

Not sure, but I think he's a Pi Kappa Phi. Maybe ATO.

breathesgelatin 11-07-2004 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Firehouse
Not sure, but I think he's a Pi Kappa Phi. Maybe ATO.
Thomas Wolfe (Look Homeward, Angel, etc.) is a Pi Kappa Phi, not Tom Wolfe (at least, not according to their national webpage).

There was once an ATO chapter at W&L so it's possible he was one. However, he's not listed on their national webpage.

If I had to guess between the two I'd say ATO because if he was a Pi Kappa Phi the guys on campus would probably talk about him during rush and stuff... which they don't. I've never heard that he joined any fraternity (which is unusual considering this is W&L), so I'm sort of doubting he's Greek.

MikeGT98 11-07-2004 10:38 PM

Tom Wolfe's GLO

Tom Wolfe is a member of Phi Kappa Sigma, he's from our Alpha Alpha Chapter (W&L), class of '51.

breathesgelatin 11-08-2004 05:24 PM

Re: Tom Wolfe's GLO

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeGT98
Tom Wolfe is a member of Phi Kappa Sigma, he's from our Alpha Alpha Chapter (W&L), class of '51.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is so funny!

It all makes so much sense now! :)

In a good way, that is.

MikeGT98 11-08-2004 05:37 PM

Dare I ask? (PM me if you want.)