GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   IU Fraternity Stereotypes/Reputations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=115738)

iufrosh 09-01-2010 12:34 AM

IU Fraternity Stereotypes/Reputations

What are the stereotypes associated w/ these fraternities?

Sigma Chi
Delta Tau Delta (Delts)
Acacia
Kappa Sigma
Phi Psi

Fraternities to avoid? Bad reputations? I want to know a little bit about some of the fraternities on campus before Rush starts on Sept 11.

And yes, I know I shouldn't base my decision on reputations, but I have to start somewhere.

33girl 09-01-2010 12:47 AM

Fraternity and sorority reputations are not discussed on GreekChat.

It would be in your best interests to edit your post and remove the names of the fraternities you mentioned.

EE-BO 09-01-2010 12:59 AM

Well said 33girl.

iufrosh, your best starting point is people you know- or friends of friends- at that school. Talk to them. If you do not know any guys going there, then sorority members are a fine resources- in fact, in many ways they can be the best.

This website is a good tool in many ways- but no public forum is a good place to get the "dirt" on specific chapters.

Your best bet is to find out what you can from people who go to that school, and approach rush with an open mind. You have to be careful what friends tell you before you get into rush- so imagine how dangerous it is to rely on the opinions of strangers.

Good luck and do post back as the process gets underway. If you need guidance on rushing in general or at your school- GC can help. But picking an individual chapter is up to you.

Psi U MC Vito 09-01-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iufrosh (Post 1977861)
Names removed

Fraternities to avoid? Bad reputations? I want to know a little bit about some of the fraternities on campus before Rush starts on Sept 11.

And yes, I know I shouldn't base my decision on reputations, but I have to start somewhere.

*sigh* If you want a place to start, I have one. What about meeting the damn guys?

moe.ron 09-01-2010 05:51 AM

Dean Vernon Wormer: Greg, what is the worst fraternity on this campus?
Greg Marmalard: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Cut the horseshit, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode.
Greg Marmalard: You're talking about Delta, sir.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Of course I'm talking about Delta, you TWERP!

DrPhil 09-01-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito (Post 1977875)
*sigh* If you want a place to start, I have one. What about meeting the damn guys?

Which fraternity has the "damn guys" so he can heed this warning? ;)

MysticCat 09-01-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 1977904)
Dean Vernon Wormer: Greg, what is the worst fraternity on this campus?
Greg Marmalard: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Cut the horseshit, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode.
Greg Marmalard: You're talking about Delta, sir.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Of course I'm talking about Delta, you TWERP!

And on the other side of the coin . . .

a lot of outstanding guys figure they'll pledge Omega or they won't pledge at all.

Pecan 09-01-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iufrosh (Post 1977861)

Sigma Chi
Delta Tau Delta (Delts)
Acacia
Kappa Sigma
Phi Psi

Maybe you should:

1. Focus on your education FIRST
2. Become positively engaged in your campus and community
3. Then RESEARCH each of the organizations on your campus and meet some of the members in order to better have an idea about so called "reputations."

33girl 09-01-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecan (Post 1977930)
Maybe you should:

1. Focus on your education FIRST
2. Become positively engaged in your campus and community
3. Then RESEARCH each of the organizations on your campus and meet some of the members in order to better have an idea about so called "reputations."

Well, he might not have long to do this. Some fraternities only like to take 1st semester freshmen.

That being said, he needs to actually meet dudes rather than spend his time wanking on a website.

DTD Alum 09-01-2010 12:25 PM

Sigma Chi - Radsauce
Delta Tau Delta (Delts) - Epic
Acacia - Tubular
Kappa Sigma - Righteous
Phi Psi - Groovy

purcupile 09-01-2010 02:50 PM

Take a look at the fraternities that have the best shot at winning The Little 500 and work down from there.

Elephant Walk 09-01-2010 03:13 PM

Weirdly enough I have a few friends in those fraternities and the only time I've been to Indiana is when we went to French Lick as a family.

agzg 09-01-2010 04:34 PM

I really hate the term "frosh."

I've always judged people that refer to themselves as a" "frosh" pretty harshly.

If you're a freshman, I probably already think you're an idiot. You don't need to confirm it by calling yourself a frosh.

knight_shadow 09-01-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agzg (Post 1978107)
I really hate the term "frosh."

I've always judged people that refer to themselves as a" "frosh" pretty harshly.

If you're a freshman, I probably already think you're an idiot. You don't need to confirm it by calling yourself a frosh.

<3

purcupile 09-01-2010 04:53 PM

Frosh and Frat are to of the same type of words.

NM