GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sigma Sigma Rho--"Do away with all proof" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=125421)

NinjaPoodle 03-17-2012 12:53 AM

Sigma Sigma Rho--"Do away with all proof"

Quote:

After seven hazing allegations in four years across the country, the national office of Sigma Sigma Rho, Inc. was concerned – not with how to eliminate hazing but with how to cover it up. In a nationwide email sent to every chapter in February last year, the nation board issued a memo instructing how chapters should seek to do away with all proof of hazing – under threat of penalization.
Rather than condemning hazing, a practice officially shunned by the organization, the email detailed how chapter members should eliminate a paper trails that could be linked back to the organization – belying a contradiction some Greek organizations appear to have with what they say on paper and what they do in practice.
Click here to read the story

If you're not familiar with them:
Their national site:
http://www.sigmasigmarho.com/
from their website
Quote:

Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Incorporated is a historically South Asian based sorority. Founded on December 10, 1998 by ten Distinguished Ladies at St. John’s University in New York, Sigma Sigma Rho was the first sorority of its kind to be established on the East Coast. The name Sigma Sigma Rho was chosen for this organization because it substantially upholds our motives and goals, which are expressed in Sisterhood, Society, and Remembrance. Sigma Sigma Rho embodies unity amongst women of South Asian descent, strives to serve society on a small and large scale, and holds fast in instilling a sense of pride in the background of each individual sister.

Senusret I 03-17-2012 01:40 AM

GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLL........

Greek_or_Geek? 03-17-2012 01:54 AM

Holy shitstorm Batman!

33girl 03-17-2012 12:37 PM

The fact that college students have to be TOLD to cover it up is just kind of...are we really at that point? No I am not condoning hazing, just kind of in amazement that doing so isn't an instinctive response anymore.

IndianaSigKap 03-17-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2132798)
The fact that college students have to be TOLD to cover it up is just kind of...are we really at that point? No I am not condoning hazing, just kind of in amazement that doing so isn't an instinctive response anymore.

Unfortunately, many in the 16-21 age group think everything is fair game for twitt_er. I am pretty hard to shock, yet occasionally I am floored by the lack of judgement I see on that site.

TPA85 03-17-2012 04:37 PM

I find it very strange that their National Office is comprised of collegiate-aged women. According to their profiles on the "National" none of them have been initiated members more than 4 years. While I'm quite sure there are some super-women that could handle the judgement, professonalism, and organizational skills to be in a national position, I do wonder if some of their practices and decision come down to the fact that these women are trying to "lead" their peers.

33girl 03-17-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPA85 (Post 2132827)
I find it very strange that their National Office is comprised of collegiate-aged women. According to their profiles on the "National" none of them have been initiated members more than 4 years. While I'm quite sure there are some super-women that could handle the judgement, professonalism, and organizational skills to be in a national position, I do wonder if some of their practices and decision come down to the fact that these women are trying to "lead" their peers.

In non-NPC and non-IFC GLOs, the amount of time you've been a member often has nothing to do with your actual age. In other words, someone who's been a member for 2 years might be 32.

TPA85 03-18-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2132829)
In non-NPC and non-IFC GLOs, the amount of time you've been a member often has nothing to do with your actual age. In other words, someone who's been a member for 2 years might be 32.

I realize that.
However, some of the women have their photos on the page as well as their class standing and major.

fascination 03-18-2012 11:43 AM

Their entire national board is composed of women who have been members for just 2 - 4.75 years. Very possibly, these are all very young women. In light of thr national board's incredibly ill-advised e-mail to all chapters, it would behoove them to find some more mature professionals to advise them and/or sit on their board. Hopefully they will be able to correct the situation -- pronto.

From their website:

National Vice President of Finance

Khushboo Dhanani
Distinguished Sister Stryfe

Khushboo has been a sister for 3.5 years and is currently living in Queens, NY. She lovesleopard print, Hello Kitty, reality TV, her iPhone, her stuffed dog named Armaan, traveling, music, Dr. Dre headphones, dancing, giggling/smiling, & shopping.

MaryPoppins 03-18-2012 12:08 PM

^^^^ Oh.My.Stars!

AOII Angel 03-18-2012 12:09 PM

Regardless of their ages, I think they need the help of a lawyer to inform them of their liability issues.

ColdInCanada11 03-18-2012 12:11 PM

One of their national members is a senior in university. Also, those bios- :eek: I don't know if I've ever described myself like that, but if I do, someone better smack me upside the head.

MaryPoppins 03-18-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2132902)
Regardless of their ages, I think they need the help of a lawyer to inform them of their liability issues.

YES, they do! Surely they have a General Counsel? If no they need one STAT!

NinjaPoodle 03-19-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2132902)

http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/icons/icon14.gifYeeeeuuup.

naraht 07-15-2021 09:29 AM

Original GSU Signal story can be found on archive.org at https://web.archive.org/web/20120419...roof-1.2714857