GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Am I too old too rush? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=118368)

x_meowness_x 02-16-2011 02:58 AM

Am I too old too rush?

Hi,
I'm 22 years and currently a 4th year student at Cal Poly Pomona in Pomona, California. I've always dreamed of being in a sorority.
My first year, I missed recruitment because I found out about it too late.
My second year, I went through half of recruitment and had to drop out because of personal issues.
My third year I was going through some family issues and wasn't able to be involved in school & this year, my fourth year I was below the gpa requirement by .1

I have brought my grades up and I really want to try again. I am going to be a 5th year next year (senior standing) because it's hard to get classes in my major. I am going to be in school for at least another year.

I think I have a lot to offer and I will feel like I'll regret it if I didn't just try. I was just wondering if you think I am too old though and If I'll look bad or something.. Let me know your opinions

Thanks

KSUViolet06 02-16-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_meowness_x (Post 2030830)
Hi,
I'm 22 years and currently a 4th year student at Cal Poly Pomona in Pomona, California. I've always dreamed of being in a sorority.
My first year, I missed recruitment because I found out about it too late.
My second year, I went through half of recruitment and had to drop out because of personal issues.
My third year I was going through some family issues and wasn't able to be involved in school & this year, my fourth year I was below the gpa requirement by .1

I have brought my grades up and I really want to try again. I am going to be a 5th year next year (senior standing) because it's hard to get classes in my major. I am going to be in school for at least another year.

I think I have a lot to offer and I will feel like I'll regret it if I didn't just try. I was just wondering if you think I am too old though and If I'll look bad or something.. Let me know your opinions

Thanks

Meh. By all means go through again if you feel like you'd regret not doing so.

However, understand that it probably doesn't look super great to chapters that you have waited this long, failed to have the GPA as a college senior (which is probably not an unbelievably high requirement), etc.

Also, sorority members may wonder what you can contribute if you're only going to be active for a year (as opposed to a freshman or sophomore.)

Or how one could "always want to be in a sorority" yet have a different excuse/reason for not rushing for every year of school.

This sounds harsh, but I'd imagine that sorority members will consider all of these factors. Just being honest.

Good luck to you.

excelblue 02-16-2011 05:14 AM

I just read this, and my first thought was: wow, you do have quite a lot of issues.

I'm a guy, so this may not be accurate, but I'd imagine that if I was in a sorority and deciding on whether or not you should be a member, this may be harsh, but my main concern would be that you aren't strong enough in overcoming issues to be a reliable member.

I can understand it if it's a one-year thing, but if it happens multiple years and you have issues with your GPA, that brings up a certain question.

princessamy 02-16-2011 09:31 AM

Like everyone else said, all of your excuses don't look good on your behalf. did you even try to see if any of the sororities were doing C.O.B. when you were younger?

AZTheta 02-16-2011 09:40 AM

You wrote that you feel you'll regret it if you don't try. So, if you can handle the possible rejection you may receive, then by all means try recruitment. We can't say much else.

There are four NPC chapters at Cal Poly-Pomona and I have no idea how competitive recruitment is at your school. Good luck.

Shellfish 02-16-2011 09:52 AM

This reminds me of the haiku thread:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=haiku&page=5

Psi U MC Vito 02-16-2011 01:28 PM

Am I the only person who finds it strange that the OP claims to have always wanted to be in a sorority but didn't find out about recruitment until it was too late? Seems to me that is something you would try really hard to find out if you really cared.

MysticCat 02-16-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito (Post 2030929)
Am I the only person who finds it strange that the OP claims to have always wanted to be in a sorority but didn't find out about recruitment until it was too late?

No, you're not.

victoriana 02-16-2011 02:48 PM

I have a few friends in Greek life at Cal Poly, and from what I know of it, it's pretty "young," meaning that it's generally full of 18-22 year olds who are traditional students.

Regina.George 02-16-2011 06:11 PM

There you all go again. Crushing dreams!

Chicago88 02-16-2011 06:59 PM

I'm not sure how to word this, but can someone explain how sororities prefer a younger pledge class over a 2 year transfer student? Maybe not prefer over but why is it harder to join a sorority when the woman is a little older? I can understand the idea that the older pledges may not want to have someone younger in charge or something like that but not being part of Greek life Ive always wondered this. Thanks ladies!

Also, what does it mean to associate with a chapter? I have read it on multiple posts here.

KSUViolet06 02-16-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago88 (Post 2031028)
I'm not sure how to word this, but can someone explain how sororities prefer a younger pledge class over a 2 year transfer student? Maybe not prefer over but why is it harder to join a sorority when the woman is a little older? I can understand the idea that the older pledges may not want to have someone younger in charge or something like that but not being part of Greek life Ive always wondered this. Thanks ladies!

Generally speaking, the rationale is that the freshman/sophomore will be active for 3 or 4 years, whereas the junior or senior = 2 or fewer. More years of activity = prefereable.

However, it really does depend on the school. There are schools where pledge classes have upperclassmen in them all the time. Then there are others where you will have a hard time getting a bid if you're not a freshman.

Senior year is generally considered to be pushing it, though, if you're at a school with a very traditional Greek system (where NM = 18 year old freshman.)

Regina.George 02-16-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Also, what does it mean to associate with a chapter? I have read it on multiple posts here.

That involves membership selection and is none of your business. These things are completely out of your control as an older transfer student.

33girl 02-16-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure how to word this, but can someone explain how sororities prefer a younger pledge class over a 2 year transfer student?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And it's not the sororities themselves, it's an antiquated structure on the part of NPC, from the day and age where they had to pledge women quickly, because half of them would drop out by their junior year. Maybe one of these days, NPC will take a bold step into the 1980s.

KSUViolet06 02-16-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2031032)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This, too.

Freshmen = 4 years of dues as well as that person filling a spot in sorority housing at some point (if the school has that.) Whereas, Suzy Senior is only going to pay one year of dues and is probably not going to get a chance to live in.