GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Hi Y'all! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=244657)

Tanglewood 08-21-2018 03:26 PM

Hi Y'all!

My DD is currently going though recruitment in the lone star state

flirt5721 08-21-2018 03:57 PM

Good luck to your daughter!

FloMo Mom 08-21-2018 04:09 PM

What school does she attend? I think Texas Tech, A&M and UT have all started recruitment but not sure about some of the other campuses. Good luck!

TXDG 08-21-2018 04:19 PM

Good luck mama!! Drink lots of wine and remind DD to keep an open mind & heart.

Tanglewood 08-21-2018 04:40 PM

Thank you flirt5721! FloMo Mom, she's at UT, Hook Em! TXDG, after my own heart, currently fueled by Malbec : )

tinydancer 08-21-2018 06:19 PM

Texas Ex here! I hope she has a wonderful week.

lenad 08-24-2018 03:08 PM

Good luck to your daughter!

MomtoaKAT 08-25-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanglewood (Post 2459315)
My DD is currently going though recruitment in the lone star state

How has the week been so far? Isn't bid day Monday?

Sending positive thoughts to you and your daughter!

beckymer92 08-26-2018 01:10 PM

How was her week? Did she know many actives going in?

Tanglewood 08-28-2018 05:30 PM

WOW! I can't be the only one wondering how on Earth hasn't Christopher Guest made a mockumentary out of recruitment? What a wild ride that was! Everyone kept warning us that it was "competitive" at UT but I think they were getting that word mixed up with BRUTAL. Strangely, the end results end up exactly as they should be. I'm happy to report that my daughter did go in with an open heart to all chapters and is currently in her top choice from round 1 that is filled with intelligent, loving, beautiful women. If she will give me permission, I'll share her story later on and will reveal her letters then.

Take away lessons for future UT Moms of PNMs: (Deep) Connections matter. Rec letters (from people who actually know you and are Alum Greek UT) matter. Personality matters. Being a legacy (Alum Greek UT) matters. Social media matters. Being a Freshman matters (spaces for sophomores are extremely limited, especially for those who went through the year before and dropped because they didn't like what they "ended up with" (eye roll) I would say grades matter, but this is UT so you have to have the grades anyways. Keeping an open mind and trusting the process SUPER matters. If you or your daughter ignore these, then she could end up being cut from all houses. Yes, even if she is intelligent, loving, beautiful (and rich)

UTmom2 08-29-2018 10:42 AM

So funny-I thought the same thing as I watched the PNMs in dresses,heels and 100 degree weather run to their new homes on Monday!
Your advice to PNMs at UT is spot on!! I would add brush up on conversation skills. Sometimes shyness can come across as uninterested. Good luck to your DD-my daughter found an awesome chapter last year and couldn't be happier.

beckymer92 08-29-2018 02:49 PM

Tanglewood: I think you are right. My goddaughter went through rush at UT. We pretty much say the same thing as you. My GD went KD. We learned much about the rush system at Texas in advance. We've heard the stories. I know of the rigid tier system but in reality, all chapters have attractive, smart girls in their ranks. I know all chapters grab girls they know first. This is prolly true for sorority life in general. Every chapter. Every house. At Texas, it's clear which houses try to grab their camp buddies or Hardin girls. For the cheer/pom pnm's, Zeta Tau Alpha automatically keeps them on their return list. It's like they want them all every year! Plenty of girls buck the system, though. Like the cheer and pommies that chose Alpha Phi and Alpha Chi. Or the Highland Park girls that went Alpha Phi because that house already has an HP faction. And the pageant girl that went DG. She probably could have gone Zeta. This shows there is more that binds the chapters together than what separates them. Don't get me wrong. I know the UT system is still highly structured (and that does matter to some people) but, unlike when I was in school, the actives themselves seem to have all kinds of friends from so many other chapters now. It's so nice to see! Like the Theta that is roomies with and hangs out with an ADPi. I just saw the AXD pictures this morning. Such.pretty.girls. The tent talk may still be there at Texas but the system is much more intermixed than PNMs think.

Hoping your daughter will share her story. I'll ask my gd to put hers in writing as well.