GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Is it near impossible to join an NPC as an alumnae initiate? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246133)

seekingkappa 05-10-2019 04:36 PM

Is it near impossible to join an NPC as an alumnae initiate?

Just curious...

thetalady 05-10-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekingkappa (Post 2466110)
Just curious...

For many organizations, yes. You must have strong, deep ties to a chapter, a history of service and support. Some organizations are looser with their policies. AI is not something just handed out because someone wants to join.

APhi2KD 05-10-2019 05:38 PM

As a Kappa, I’m guessing?

carnation 05-10-2019 05:48 PM

I don't think that KKG AIs.

UVASquirrel 05-10-2019 05:50 PM

It varies from group to group. In Alpha Gam, you need to have a "sponsor" and have attended alumnae chapter/club events a certain number of times. The motivation to initiate alumnae is for women who will be involved at the alumnae level, not just someone wanting to wear certain letters, so say she is a so and so. I believe that most of our alumnae initiates are sisters, mothers or daughters of Alpha Gams.

carnation 05-10-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekingkappa (Post 2466110)
Just curious...

I'm not sure why Beta Sigma Phi isn't enough for you--

Also, you already asked this and we gave you answers. And we are not "candy" in a store to be chosen from.

seekingkappa 05-10-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASquirrel (Post 2466116)
It varies from group to group. In Alpha Gam, you need to have a "sponsor" and have attended alumnae chapter/club events a certain number of times. The motivation to initiate alumnae is for women who will be involved at the alumnae level, not just someone wanting to wear certain letters, so say she is a so and so. I believe that most of our alumnae initiates are sisters, mothers or daughters of Alpha Gams.

Very helpful, and completely understandable. Thanks for the reply.

seekingkappa 05-10-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2466117)
I'm not sure why Beta Sigma Phi isn't enough for you--

Also, you already asked this and we gave you answers. And we are not "candy" in a store to be chosen from.

I didn't already ask this. And I certainly don't view sorority as candy. Not sure where you're getting that twisted impression. Although, I imagine there probably are people like that and I can respect your experience being treated as such.

As for BSP, I'm giving it everything I've got, but I recently met someone in both BSP and ASA--her story piqued my interest and prompted my question.

Clearly, she didn't go to the Greek candy store, so to speak. But, if it's in me to be that person, I'm up for the commitment.

carnation 05-10-2019 08:03 PM

Old 04-21-2019, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone. I thought I missed the opportunity to be part of a sorority As a junior transfer. I had no idea that orgs like BSP and ESA existed.

I did join BSP, and in “digging in” I learned about NPC alum chapters too. I have that kid in a candy store vibe about me right now. I’m interested in learning...

I have been working on an update to an old but popular Greek Chat post about sorority after college. It was so helpful, but also dated at this point. I’ve been on this quest to update with more info in case it helps others.

DoeofDenmark 05-10-2019 08:12 PM

You have posted this EXACT question on the reddit sorority subreddit and were given the answer time and time again. On that thread in particular, at least 3 KKG members told you for a fact that they did not do Alumnae initiation. You can post questions like this as much as you would like, but KKG won’t change.

AlwaysSAI 05-10-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASquirrel (Post 2466116)

Truth. I need to up my involvement with the alumnae chapter. Ever since I left teaching, I've always been traveling for work when chapter meetings are happening.

seekingkappa 05-10-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2466126)

Old 04-21-2019, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone. I thought I missed the opportunity to be part of a sorority As a junior transfer. I had no idea that orgs like BSP and ESA existed.

I did join BSP, and in “digging in” I learned about NPC alum chapters too. I have that kid in a candy store vibe about me right now. I’m interested in learning...

I have been working on an update to an old but popular Greek Chat post about sorority after college. It was so helpful, but also dated at this point. I’ve been on this quest to update with more info in case it helps others.

I am excited by opportunities I never knew I had. That's what I meant by my comment. Apologies if that came across too literally. I have a lot of passion for a community of women that serve their communities and lift each other up all the same. At least most of the women I've met are that way.

33girl 05-10-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekingkappa (Post 2466125)

As for BSP, I'm giving it everything I've got, but I recently met someone in both BSP and ASA--her story piqued my interest and prompted my question.

Clearly, she didn't go to the Greek candy store, so to speak. But, if it's in me to be that person, I'm up for the commitment.

Girrrrrl, no. Just no. ASA is not your backup plan. One person does not reflect the opinion of the rest of the sorority.

seekingkappa 05-10-2019 08:40 PM

SeekingKappa has nothing to do with KKG, btw. It references the Kappa chapter of one specific sorority at the college I attended.

seekingkappa 05-10-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2466130)
Girrrrrl, no. Just no. ASA is not your backup plan. One person does not reflect the opinion of the rest of the sorority.

Not an opinion. For her it was enriching experiences and honor. I just thought it was cool.