GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Creating a new fraternity from scratch (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=136697)

chipmullins 11-10-2013 12:59 AM

Creating a new fraternity from scratch

Hello! I am very interested in starting my own fraternity from scratch at my university. The greek system has always interested me and I have always found it to be something I would love to find myself a part of. However, I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldnít want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.

To begin, I would want to create an LGBT fraternity. I know there are a few out there that already do this, but I would like to create my own addition. LGBT people deserve to be a part of the greek system and feel comfortable doing so. I know it is a lot of work. I am a dedicated person and I know that I could make it happen. Itís just one of those things I will not let go. I can be a very good leader. Iím very organized, dedicated, and motivated.

What would the process be to create this brand new fraternity?

clemsongirl 11-10-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipmullins (Post 2248941)
Hello! I am very interested in starting my own fraternity from scratch at my university. The greek system has always interested me and I have always found it to be something I would love to find myself a part of. However, I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldnít want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.

To begin, I would want to create an LGBT fraternity. I know there are a few out there that already do this, but I would like to create my own addition. LGBT people deserve to be a part of the greek system and feel comfortable doing so. I know it is a lot of work. I am a dedicated person and I know that I could make it happen. Itís just one of those things I will not let go. I can be a very good leader. Iím very organized, dedicated, and motivated.

QFP

Kevin 11-10-2013 10:23 AM

There are multiple national organizations which already are everything you've described to us so far. Why are those groups insufficient to meet your needs? I can tell you from experience, even starting a colony of a major national fraternity with all of the support you get, the advice, built in alumni support, etc., is not easy at all. What you're proposing is on the ragged edge of impossible (but it obviously has been done, hence the existing LGBT groups). So why do you want to reinvent the wheel here?

IrishLake 11-10-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Hello! I am very interested in starting my own fraternity from scratch at my university. The greek system has always interested me and I have always found it to be something I would love to find myself a part of. However, I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldn’t want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.

To begin, I would want to create an LGBT fraternity. I know there are a few out there that already do this, but I would like to create my own addition. LGBT people deserve to be a part of the greek system and feel comfortable doing so. I know it is a lot of work. I am a dedicated person and I know that I could make it happen. It’s just one of those things I will not let go. I can be a very good leader. I’m very organized, dedicated, and motivated.

@ all the red. Are you planning on being the only member of your new fraternity? If so, just pick some random letters that aren't already used by another group, make your own letters, and enjoy your party of one. :rolleyes:

@ the blue. Are you aware that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people are already members of all established organizations?

Start an interest group at your campus. See how many people would actually be interested in joining a group that is solely for LGBT people. They would become your future brothers and sisters, so lean on them for finding an existing group. Stop thinking "I/me" and start thinking about potential members. A fraternity is NOT just about it's sole founder.

DrPhil 11-10-2013 12:15 PM

The OP says he wants to create his "own addition" but I don't think the OP has really thought this through beyond his desire to be the center of attention.

Therefore, if there are no LGBTQ GLOs on that campus, the OP probably means he wants to charter a chapter of an existing LGBTQ GLO. I hope the OP has researched this enough to know that chapters can be chartered as opposed to founding a fraternity. If being geared toward LGBTQ is the only thing distinguishing this idea from other fraternities, there is nothing distinguishing it from other LGBTQ GLOs.

IrishLake 11-10-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

I would like to create my own fraternity from scratch. I mean I wouldnít want to find a national fraternity. Instead, I would like to create my own fraternity name, meaning, and create my own set of rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 2248960)
the OP probably means he wants to charter a chapter of an existing LGBTQ GLO. I hope the OP has researched this enough to know that chapters can be chartered as opposed to founding a fraternity. If being geared toward LGBTQ is the only thing distinguishing this idea from other fraternities, there is nothing distinguishing it from other LGBTQ GLOs.

Considering he wants to create his own name, meaning, and own set of rules, I don't think this is the case.

IrishLake 11-10-2013 05:41 PM

Lambda Gamma Beta Tau has a nice ring to it.

clemsongirl 11-10-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 2248984)
Lambda Gamma Beta Tau has a nice ring to it.

And nobody's going to know what it means, either. Very mysterious.

DrPhil 11-10-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 2248983)
Considering he wants to create his own name, meaning, and own set of rules, I don't think this is the case.

I was attempting to tell the OP what the OP really wants. Work with me here. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2248986)
And nobody's going to know what it means, either. Very mysterious.

I think there was a Lambda Gamma Beta Tau local fraternity. It may be defunct. The website is down. Surely people have thought of the genius idea of turning LGBT(Q) into Greek letters.

AZTheta 11-10-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 2248991)

Happy to oblige.*

*In the process of writing new lyrics appropriate to this thread

IrishLake 11-10-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhil (Post 2248991)

Something tells me this guy won't take that kind of subtlety, due to the leadership qualities and all... ;)