GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018/2019 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243690)

LaneSig 12-17-2018 01:39 PM

Sigma Tau Gamma has been invited to colonize at the University of Maryland. Colonization will begin this spring.

honeychile 12-17-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2463230)
The Gamma Nu chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at William Jewell University (MO) has been closed due to low membership numbers. I can't figure out how to link it from ADPi's website but it's the first news item on there.

It won't link, but since it's not on a double secret page, here's the article:

"Alpha Delta Pi Gamma Nu Chapter at William Jewell College Closes

Alpha Delta Pi announces the closure of Gamma Nu chapter at William Jewell College, effective December 2, 2018.

Atlanta, Ga. — Alpha Delta Pi announces the closure of Gamma Nu chapter at William Jewell College, effective December 2, 2018.

After thoughtful discussion and consideration, the collegiate members of Gamma Nu voted to request closure after struggling to maintain a chapter size to support their desired membership experience. Alpha Delta Pi’s Grand Council received and approved the chapter’s request.

“I remain so proud of our collegiate members in how they make decisions as a team and the way they treat others,” Emily Erkel, Alpha Delta Pi International President, said. “They are mature, passionate, intelligent and courageous women with values that mirror the attributes of our founders. They live our motto in all they do.”

The Gamma Nu chapter was installed on April 23, 1949. Prior to its installment, Gamma Nu was the local sorority TNT at William Jewell College and was organized in 1922. Gamma Nu is the home chapter of former Alpha Delta Pi Grand President Margaret Anne MacDonald Bundy who served in the role from 1989 to 1991 and was instrumental in developing the Total Membership Education approach. The closing ceremony took place at William Jewell College on Sunday, December 2 with over 200 Alpha Delta Pi sisters present. Collegiate members were granted alumnae status, and all Gamma Nu alumnae were invited to be active members of the Gamma Nu Alumnae Association, which was chartered on Sunday.

“Membership does not end for Gamma Nu members with the closure of their collegiate chapter, and we are excited to see the contributions alumnae continue to make in Alpha Delta Pi,” said Ms. Erkel.

Founded at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Ga., on May 15, 1851, Alpha Delta Pi was the first secret society established for college women. Its principles of scholarship, leadership, sisterhood and service guide more than 265,000 women in 160 active collegiate chapters and over 150 alumnae associations of Alpha Delta Pi.

###

Published: December 10, 2018"

dvs-dz 12-19-2018 06:43 AM

Kudos to Alpha Delta Pi for handling the chapter closure at William Jewell with grace and dignity, and properly welcoming the collegiate members as alumnae sisters. This is how it should be done.

LaneSig 12-21-2018 09:51 AM

Tau Epsilon Phi has initiated colonization at SUNY-Albany.

DEVODUDE 01-07-2019 01:26 PM

Congratulations to our Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) Colony at University Of Florida for officially receiving their charter last night. Here's to the new Alpha Zeta Chapter.

ZBT: "Brotherhood For A Lifetime"

FSUZeta 01-07-2019 02:43 PM

Is this a reactivation or a brand new chapter?

LaneSig 01-07-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2463558)
Is this a reactivation or a brand new chapter?

This is a reactivation.

PKT4LIFE 01-08-2019 10:24 PM

Our 2019 Expansions:
Spring: Texas Tech and Tennessee (recharter)
Fall: Michigan (recharter)

https://www.phikappatau.org/where-were-going/

LaneSig 01-09-2019 01:51 PM

Alpha Kappa Lambda has been closed at Virginia Commonwealth University. Closure comes after an investigation into hazing allegations. Although there were no charges filed, the investigation is still considered open.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/...5d356c054.html

Tom Earp 01-09-2019 02:05 PM

New LXA!

Appalachia State.
William & Mary.
Illinois State.

Latest update!:cool::)

bevinpiphi 01-09-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 2463626)
New LXA!

Appalachia State.
William & Mary.
Illinois State.

Latest update!:cool::)

Illinois state would be a recolonizing/reopening.

Tom Earp 01-10-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevinpiphi (Post 2463639)
Illinois state would be a recolonizing/reopening.

Yep!!:)

FSUZeta 01-10-2019 07:03 PM

Always nice to hear of a chapter reactivation.

KSUViolet06 01-10-2019 07:38 PM

I don't know if this has been updated or not but Tri Sigma will colonize at University of Illinois-Springfield.

LaneSig 01-15-2019 09:01 AM

Tau Kappa Epsilon has been closed at Furman University(SC). Closure is due to RMF.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ke/2574211002/

PKT4LIFE 01-17-2019 10:21 PM

Sigma Alpha Epsilon has been suspended after UC Irvine student's death.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/uc-irvine-...ry?id=60386687

LaneSig 01-21-2019 02:20 PM

Delta Kappa Epsilon has been closed at Louisiana State University. Closure is due to RMF.

https://www.nola.com/education/2019/...legations.html

LaneSig 01-24-2019 08:35 AM

There is a lot going on today:

Pi Kappa Phi at the University of Southern California has been closed by their national organization. Closure due to RMF.

https://dailytrojan.com/2019/01/24/p...gnized-by-usc/

There are other issues going on at the University of Nevada-Reno and with Kappa Alpha Theta at Depauw University(IN) that are affecting current recognition and interim suspensions. I am going to start specific threads on these issues in order to not hijack the expansion/closure thread.

PKT4LIFE 01-25-2019 12:21 AM

And Theta Xi is not recognized at the University of Southern California since December 2018.

https://greeklife.usc.edu/chapter-conduct-judicial/

PKT4LIFE 01-25-2019 09:58 PM

This news came from Duke University. Not a good week for fraternities.
https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ma-phi-epsilon

LaneSig 01-28-2019 02:42 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Tau Omega on chartering at the University of New Hampshire.

LaneSig 01-29-2019 10:09 AM

Congratulations to Phi Delta Theta for their recent chartering at the University of South Carolina.

Cheerio 01-29-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464316)
Congratulations to Alpha Tau Omega on chartering at the University of New Hampshire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464340)
Congratulations to Phi Delta Theta for their recent chartering at the University of South Carolina.

Yes, very good news for both organizations!

LaneSig 01-30-2019 12:46 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Epsilon Pi on chartering at Appalachian State University(NC).

KSUViolet06 01-30-2019 04:18 PM

Update: Our colony at UI-Springfield has 85 women.

LaneSig 02-01-2019 08:56 AM

Alpha Gamma Delta has announced the closure of its chapter at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Closure is due to low membership numbers.

andthen 02-01-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464398)
Alpha Gamma Delta has announced the closure of its chapter at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Closure is due to low membership numbers.

Oh that's a shame, if memory serves me they were relatively new to that campus.

ChioLu 02-01-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464398)

Sad to hear. AGD just colonized in 2016. That school has had 4 NPC colonizations since 2013.

UVASquirrel 02-01-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2464406)
Sad to hear. AGD just colonized in 2016. That school has had 4 NPC colonizations since 2013.

My understanding is that they had added chapters quickly in an effort to lower overall chapter size. That's the impression I got from this article: https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-cha...ow-enrollment/

Too bad it didn't work out for our chapter there. It's always sad when a chapter closes.

33girl 02-01-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

“We are disappointed that the national organization is choosing to close the chapter because it is not meeting its expectation around numbers,” Humphrey said. “It is incredibly disappointing to [the university] on a number of levels. First and foremost, because of the experience of the students in that organization and dedicated to that organization.”

Although small enrollment numbers caused the chapter to dissolve, Humphrey said the university hopes to add at least one fraternity or sorority per year to thin out enrollment numbers of large greek organizations.

“Large greek organizations lose their ability to be personal and the quality of the experience is diminished,” Humphrey said.

The AGD executive board was not immediately available to comment.

“If they were hoping to be a greek organization of 300 or 200 plus, Cal Poly probably was not the right place for them,” Humphrey said.
But....campus total is presently 230. Math is hard?

This honestly sounds like he needs to stay in his lane and quit inviting sororities to colonize every other day, unless the women are unhappy in the chapters the size they are and begging for it to happen. He was at Arizona before this, you would think he’d get that NPC and IFC expansion are two different animals.

UVASquirrel 02-01-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2464408)
But....campus total is presently 230. Math is hard?

This honestly sounds like he needs to stay in his lane and quit inviting sororities to colonize every other day, unless the women are unhappy in the chapters the size they are and begging for it to happen. He was at Arizona before this, you would think he’d get that NPC and IFC expansion are two different animals.

Yeah..I was wondering what he was talking about once I looked at Campus total.

33girl 02-01-2019 08:05 PM

The only way to keep groups under a certain size is to put on a cap, which would probably dampen a lot of groups’ interest in coming there and defeat the whole purpose.

PKT4LIFE 02-01-2019 09:59 PM

Phi Mu at Belmont has been suspended. This emergency suspension occurred during the middle of recruitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqdsmPU7Jw

Theta1234 02-01-2019 11:41 PM

I am going to ask a very ignorant question. I will admit, I am newer to Greek Chat, so I don't have a good frame of reference here.

Has there been a substantial increase in the number of sororities who are being suspended or having their recruitment periods interrupted with C&Ds? Is it just that I am now more aware of them? They seem to be occurring with much higher frequency than what I believed occurred in the past.

A group of friends and I were talking about this. Some link it to increased awareness of rights, some credit it to the fact that everything is recorded now while others say it is because kegs were replaced with hard liquor. Regardless of the reason, it breaks my heart when sweet sisters see their chapter dissolved.

So, am I off base here? Are the closures occurring with greater frequency now than they were say 10 or 20 years ago?

33girl 02-02-2019 05:00 AM

Yes, the increase has been substantial. I think all the things you mentioned are factors, plus the fact that pledgeship is much shorter with much fewer requirements and it is almost impossible to depledge a new member. If the sorority members are (in the eyes of the school or their nationals) not living up to the sorority standard, it stands to reason that the last thing anyone would want is for those members to be in charge of selecting more members.

I also think it has to do with some of the (lately very publicized) instances of women pledging a chapter that unbeknownst to them was in a state of turmoil, then 3/4 of the way into their pledgeship the charter gets revoked. Technically the women can be bid to another chapter immediately but that’s not always feasible. It used to be everyone just said “oh so sad” and life went on, but increasingly parents and lawyers are getting involved.

thetalady 02-03-2019 09:10 PM

DKE has recolonized their chapter at Ole Miss.

Delta Kappa Epsilon returns to Ole Miss

LaneSig 02-04-2019 09:34 AM

Tau Kappa Epsilon has been closed at Sonoma State University(CA). Closure is due to RMF.

PKT4LIFE 02-04-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2464459)
Tau Kappa Epsilon has been closed at Sonoma State University(CA). Closure is due to RMF.

I saw this on the news here in SF. They are closed for 5 years (2024)

APhi2KD 02-07-2019 07:59 AM

Alpha Phi’s new Baylor colony had their Bid Day yesterday with 150 new members!!! <3

APhi4Ever 02-08-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhi2KD (Post 2464493)
Alpha Phi’s new Baylor colony had their Bid Day yesterday with 150 new members!!! <3

That’s awesome!