GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

DGTess 10-20-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSUpink&blue (Post 2246440)
This happened nearly a decade ago but at MSU there is one chapter that is known for praying with or over girls at pref parties about the decision they have to make. I truly liked this sorority and had lots of friends in it during college, but prayer was just WAY too much for me with a girl I barley knew! Anyway, at the pref party I attended there one girl offered to pray with another PNM and the PNM replied that she was Catholic and would prefer to pray the rosary instead. The active had no idea what to do, but I though it was HILARIOUS. The PNM told me later that she was turned off by the religion talk and went to another sorority. Good point though: especially nowadays when more diverse girls are going through rush you can't assume they are religious!

Or if they are religious, that they are Christian.

Guess I lucked out. A significant portion of my entire school was Jewish, there were many Hindu students, and we had one Wiccan in my pledge class. We were nothing if not diverse.

Sciencewoman 10-20-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2246466)
Then again, I guess if that's how they roll, I'd rather know before I signed my bid card.

Amen to that! ;)

MSUpink&blue 10-20-2013 01:07 PM

Definitely!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Then again, I guess if that's how they roll, I'd rather know before I signed my bid card.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! It wasn't something I was comfortable with and I am religious and Christian! It's a tricky tactic to use, I know many girls either went to that house in a heartbeat or went to a different one just because of the use of prayer.

clemsongirl 01-28-2014 01:04 AM

Okay, we've had 3 months go by and there's been no new weird recruitment stories??

WestcoastWonder 01-28-2014 01:26 AM

I don't have a weird rush story, but i do have a picture of a weird rush outfit my sister sent me while she was going through recruitment!

A girl was wearing a kinda weird, inappropriate for the occasion outfit during Philanthropy day when it was supposed to be a slightly more dressy day. I wanna post the picture, but I have to find a way to crop/edit it so no faces are shown.

clemsongirl 01-28-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestcoastWonder (Post 2258434)
I don't have a weird rush story, but i do have a picture of a weird rush outfit my sister sent me while she was going through recruitment!

A girl was wearing a kinda weird, inappropriate for the occasion outfit during Philanthropy day when it was supposed to be a slightly more dressy day. I wanna post the picture, but I have to find a way to crop/edit it so no faces are shown.

As unfortunate as outfit mistakes can be I don't want to out this PNM to anyone who went through rush with her.

AZTheta 01-28-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2258492)
As unfortunate as outfit mistakes can be I don't want to out this PNM to anyone who went through rush with her.

Classy and kind, clemsongirl. Panhellenic spirit at its best.

WestcoastWonder 01-28-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2258492)

You're right. Not a good idea and there are lots of people in the picture which would make it hard to even see anyway.

alphagam1032 05-11-2014 05:22 PM

I just read through this entire thread and man, there are some doozies. I will share a few of my own, both from when I was a collegian and now as an alumna.

- When I was going through, there were 4 groups on my campus. One of the groups (I won't name them because they have some fine members and that's just rude) had their sister ask me as a PNM what my father did for a living. I was so offended that I refused to answer - maybe she was just trying to make sure I could pay dues but she definitely didn't go about it the right way. Needless to say, I was not invited back there.

- My first year as a rusher, I had a PNM who came in decked out from head to toe in the colors and symbol of XYZ on Open House night. I asked her what she'd enjoyed so far about Recruitment and she said "Oh, XYZ. Are you friends with any XYZ's?" Of course, I did have some friends in that house (we were a small Greek community) and I said that we had some Panhellenic events and mixers together and then I tried to talk about Alpha Gam but she kept turning it back to XYZ. I'm not sure if she got a bid from XYZ or not but she sure seemed excited about them.

- As a PNM, there was a snafu with pref night ceremonies and the house I was a legacy to ended up having to be outside because the building they were supposed to use was being used for something else. This was the South in August so of course the bugs were out in full force. Halfway through pref I have to get up because my entire leg's swollen up from fire ant bites! The girl preffing me started to panic and I tried to calm her down (bless her heart). I ended up limping to the house where Alpha Gam was having pref a little out of it from all the benedryl. Luckily they don't seem to have held it against me <3

- As a sister, I accidentally set my own hair on fire during pref one year (just a teeny bit - no real harm done). The next year I had short hair during the fall :)

- This year as an advisor, I had a PNM think I was a sister (I am fairly young and get mistaken for a collegian a lot) grab my arm and tell me, very emphatically, that she just looooooved squirrels when I was sneaking down to get something during one of the parties. I was clutching my pearls hoping we wouldn't get a recruitment infraction for that one. Squirrel Girl is one of us now and a very active sister <3

misscherrypie 05-11-2014 06:32 PM

Not an NPC rush anecdote, but this still makes me smile.

Last fall, our chapter held rush and invited prospective members to a dressy event held on campus during the the last day of rush. We'd reserved the room, but sometimes random people will walk into this room while events are going on just to check it out, and the room was still open to the public since we weren't using all of it. We knew that it was a possibility that someone might come in and see what was going on, but brushed the possibility of that out of our minds because of when the event was going on.

We had gotten our food and were sitting around and chatting when a guy walks in and asks if he can play the piano that was in the room. We shrugged and said "Sure." The guy turns out to be an absolutely incredible Jazz pianist, and played on for about twenty minutes. We were entirely entertained and just listened and kept munching on our food. One of my sisters suddenly said to another sister "Would someone please give this guy some food!?!" So, one of my littles popped up and made a plate of sweets and a drink for the guy and offered it to him once he stopped playing.

He was very appreciative and we said that he would be welcome again anytime to play at one of our rush events or formals.

carnation 06-13-2014 10:41 AM

Bump for our summer reading enjoyment!

ChioLu 06-13-2014 04:50 PM

Last year at UCLA, there were about 30 international students who signed up for Recruitment who did not even speak English! (Yes, that can happen!)
I believe these women signed up for everything they received from the university as to not miss out on any requirements.
With the language barrier, these 30 women did not participate in Recruitment, but it did "up" the registration numbers.

TKEfromthe90's 08-07-2014 05:25 PM

Reading through all these stories, wow, this sorority Chi Upsilon Zeta (XYZ) is terrible, no wonder I've never heard of them...

ChioLu 08-22-2014 01:28 PM

Prior to the internet and ICS, at my university, the "Rush" Advisors from every chapter met with Panhellenic each night to decide which "Rushees" would go back to which chapters.

Our advisor had a photographic memory, so we always knew who are competition was for each girl.

calroses 09-08-2014 08:29 PM

I have a distinct memory of rushing a PNM outside on our deck during round one. I was rather distracted by her strange teeth - it looked like they had been filed to points. Then she started listing all of her extracurricular activities in high school. This being UC Berkeley where you have to have 4.6 GPA and volunteer with an Azerbaijani orphanage and be an olympic athlete before you know you'll get in, most incoming freshmen have a long list of extracurriculars. When she got to "Key Club" and then "Music Tutoring" I started to notice a trend: she was listing her extracurriculars IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER. We dropped "pointy teeth girl" that day.

I didn't rush her myself, but one year we had a PNM in round one who wore Dolce & Gabbana-branded leggings and a D&G purse. Mind you, this was in about 2002, when leggings were not in style. We called her D&G girl. She was clearly not interested in our chapter and was looking to join XYZ chapter instead. We were happy not to have her return for round two.

I went through recruitment with only one letter of recommendation, for XYZ chapter. It was from my aunt's mother, who was an alumna of the UC Berkeley chapter and had served in many volunteer roles throughout her alumnae life. I'm from a small town that is often on those lists of "wealthiest zip codes in the US" but I was trying to be financially responsible so I was asking about dues and other costs at each round one party. Before I could do so at XYZ, the girl rushing me asked me what my parents did for a living. I answered truthfully (VP software development and real estate broker) and then asked about dues and costs. I got quite the frosty response. While I was invited back to the maximum number of chapters for each round, I didn't get asked back to XYZ for round two, even though I ranked them high.

I had one PNM take off her shoes while we were chatting in the living room. They smelled so bad I almost passed out.