GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

carnation 10-07-2013 11:56 AM

Rolling here at the fake PNM story. I'd love to know if her daughter pledged and if mom has a record of doing pushy stuff. And when did she slip into the recruitment group?

Low D Flat 10-07-2013 12:14 PM

Wouldn't a RG be expected to know all of her PNMs' faces, regardless of name tags? This seems poorly thought out.

IUHoosiergirl88 10-07-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low D Flat (Post 2244858)
Wouldn't a RG be expected to know all of her PNMs' faces, regardless of name tags? This seems poorly thought out.

Not sure how Ole Miss does it, but at Indiana your 'walk around' RGs are different from your actual RG. So you'll end up with the RG that you rank with, but also have 2 RGs for 22 party, 2 RGs for 14 party, 2 RGs for 8 party, and 2 RGs for pref. And those aren't typically the same RGs...so plausible that they wouldn't know faces

WCsweet<3 10-07-2013 12:43 PM

Also not sure how Ole Miss does it, but at Oregon the rho gamma groups tour together on open houses and meet up to get schedules and rank. Aside from day one, the rho gammas are stationed at the chapter houses so they see the PNMs from all the groups instead of just their own. The rho gammas wouldn't necessarily know the names/faces of all the PNMs visiting the house where they are stationed. They are given a list of names to double check against the name tags of the PNMs.

What did the mother expect though? To see how recruitment is on the inside? How would that help her daughter?

MaryPoppins 10-07-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2244847)
Rolling here at the fake PNM story. I'd love to know if her daughter pledged and if mom has a record of doing pushy stuff. And when did she slip into the recruitment group?

I'll see what I can find out from the Gamma Chi, if I see her tonight.

OldOleMiss 10-07-2013 05:24 PM

I just keep thinking of that DISTURBING article that recently came out in WSJ (I think) about parents now accompanying their "children" on JOB INTERVIEWS and answering questions for them... Perhaps she thought she would just handle daughters rush conversations for her...

Seriously WTF.... (too both)

YES PLEASE try and find out MP... I need more laughter in my life :-)

ColdInCanada11 10-07-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryPoppins (Post 2244757)
An Ole Miss Gamma Chi (Rush Counselors) reported that when she lined up her recruitment group at one house she had an "extra" PNM. When she confronted person, she said, "Excuse me but you're a mom, and you have to leave." Extra PNM said, "Oh no. I'm a PNM!" Then the Gamma Chi said, "If you're a PNM, then where is your Panhellenic Name Tag?" The sheepish mom left the line and beat a hasty retreat :D

Can't stop laughing picturing this playing out

ASTalumna06 10-07-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOleMiss (Post 2244912)
I just keep thinking of that DISTURBING article that recently came out in WSJ (I think) about parents now accompanying their "children" on JOB INTERVIEWS and answering questions for them... Perhaps she thought she would just handle daughters rush conversations for her...

Seriously WTF.... (too both)

YES PLEASE try and find out MP... I need more laughter in my life :-)

Here ya go! Maybe not the article you're referring to, but there are plenty of helicopter parents hard at work!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=136087

MUSK81 10-07-2013 07:34 PM

The first day of rush for us was open houses at all the sororities. At Alpha Xi Delta, one of their sisters, Pam Paugh, was Miss West Virginia 1980 and was away at the Miss America pageant during rush that year. Her sister was Miss West Virginia 1977 Patsy Paugh, an AXD at another school ... now better known as the late Patsy Ramsey, mother of the late JonBenet Ramsey.

Jill1228 10-08-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2244845)
I would bet money that the Wannabe PNM Mom DID try to crash her daughter's group! Gotta love the idea of a mom who thought she could pass as an 18 yr old college girl :rolleyes:

If she could pass for an 18 year old pnm, lots of women might be begging her for the name and number of her plastic surgeon and/or dermatologist

OldOleMiss 10-08-2013 10:09 AM

Thanks ASTalumna06 meant to look for the link to the story and post last night and forgot. I once had a very angry mother call me to "discuss" her daughter's (my PA) "unfair" annual review where I noted the girl's inability to think and perform independently. I was then accused of "ruining this girls life" and "ruining her chances at getting into a decent grad school".... I politely informed the mother that she had managed to do those things all by herself....

ASTalumna06 10-08-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOleMiss (Post 2244999)
I once had a very angry mother call me to "discuss" her daughter's (my PA) "unfair" annual review where I noted the girl's inability to think and perform independently.

Oh, the irony.

AXiD SmileyFace 10-19-2013 02:41 AM

I'm so glad I was able to find this thread again! I love these stories.

AXEling 10-19-2013 02:52 PM

A young woman tried introducing herself during pre-recruitment events as Lucifer and included "stealing souls" in her list of hobbies.

ZetaPhi708 10-19-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXEling (Post 2246418)
A young woman tried introducing herself during pre-recruitment events as Lucifer and included "stealing souls" in her list of hobbies.

:eek: