GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

DGTess 02-05-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2201864)
Are there any of the NIC, NPC or NPHC F&S where a Wiccan could *not* get a bid according to their National bylaws? I don't know whether a GLO that requires a "belief in God" would have to accept someone who is Wicca by that standard.

Wicca is duotheistic; its practitioners do believe in gods. We had a practicing Wiccan in our chapter in the mid-70s. She rushed at the same time I did, so I don't know if she was the "weird rushee" or not, but she's my sister.

adpiucf 02-05-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2201864)
Are there any of the NIC, NPC or NPHC F&S where a Wiccan could *not* get a bid according to their National bylaws? I don't know whether a GLO that requires a "belief in God" would have to accept someone who is Wicca by that standard.

NPC does not require any profession of faith or exclusion of a faith. Theists, agnostics, athiests and everyone else is welcome. Although nearly all of the organizations initially discriminated on the basis of religion; this is no longer the case. There are non-NPC sororities, namely ones that classify themselves as Christian sororities, that require profession of faith in Christ. But not NPC.

TSteven 02-05-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2201867)
Well when you go with "Oz-themed", the original book, the movie or maybe Wicked? There are a couple of songs from Wicked that might actually work well during rush, including "What is this Feeling" and "For Good".

"..whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend."

"Home" from "The Wiz" could work for rush.

Home

33girl 02-06-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XOcarnation (Post 2201769)
I refuse to take the glasses comment seriously. Hipster glasses are all the rage here on the West Coast.

Although as someone who hated wearing glasses when she was younger, I think I have to agree with George Costanza that someone wearing them when they don't need them is like someone who uses a wheelchair for fun. (He was talking about guys with full heads of hair shaving their heads, but same principle.)

UNCalum 02-06-2013 11:01 AM

Slippery

I had a funny situation when I was a Junior. I met my rushee at the front door of our house tour round, and I noticed as I led her inside that she was holding onto furniture, walls etc. as we were walking. I was worried that she was injured, dizzy or even drunk! We headed for the stairs, and at the foot of the stairs she finally admitted that she had put deoderant on the soles of her feet and she was slipping around too much in her slick flip flops to safely make it up the stairs! I told her to slip them off and just carry them....no big deal! She looked so relieved, and was actually adorable! She wound up pledging our house and was good-naturedly teased for the rest of her college career

naraht 02-07-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNCalum (Post 2202082)
I had a funny situation when I was a Junior. I met my rushee at the front door of our house tour round, and I noticed as I led her inside that she was holding onto furniture, walls etc. as we were walking. I was worried that she was injured, dizzy or even drunk! We headed for the stairs, and at the foot of the stairs she finally admitted that she had put deoderant on the soles of her feet and she was slipping around too much in her slick flip flops to safely make it up the stairs! I told her to slip them off and just carry them....no big deal! She looked so relieved, and was actually adorable! She wound up pledging our house and was good-naturedly teased for the rest of her college career

Given the walking done as part of some of the rush nights and the dress shoes that might be worn, I'm surprised removing shoes don't happen more often!

carnation 08-03-2013 08:39 AM

Bumping this--maybe we'll get some more stories this year!

AlphaFrog 08-05-2013 09:45 AM

Can we make a no-bumping-this-thread-without-a-story rule? Or come on, at least a LOLCAT.

carnation 08-05-2013 09:56 AM

Negative, Ghostrider! Because I would hate for out-of-sight, out-of-mind to apply and for us to miss a great story because new or old posters didn't see the thread!

MaryPoppins 08-05-2013 10:41 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...87676678_n.jpg

Cheerio 08-05-2013 04:48 PM

During Open House Rounds, one house was so small (with little furniture) my rusher sat cross-legged (with her shoes still on) upon a low, square glass table while we conversed. She was allowed to do that because my chair was at a level higher than hers (rushers had to be seated on the floor/below rushee level during Open House conversations, unless you were both standing).

amIblue? 08-05-2013 05:17 PM

I'm thinking the posts about dancing, piggybacks, and glitter from the competitive thread could be inserted here. Let's call it what it is: weird.

DGTess 08-06-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2229325)
During Open House Rounds, one house was so small (with little furniture) my rusher sat cross-legged (with her shoes still on) upon a low, square glass table while we conversed. She was allowed to do that because my chair was at a level higher than hers (rushers had to be seated on the floor/below rushee level during Open House conversations, unless you were both standing).

House rule? Panhel rule? I'm trying to wrap my head around the why of this.

amIblue? 08-06-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGTess (Post 2229471)
House rule? Panhel rule? I'm trying to wrap my head around the why of this.

And god help the 5'10" sister who somehow got paired with the 4'11 PNM.

happilyanchored 08-06-2013 10:31 AM

During Outsides (skits), one of our sisters was wearing a dress that had kind of a fuzzy texture. During a conversation with a PNM, the PNM was extremely fascinated by this and spent a good few minutes stroking the dress on her leg and marveling at how cool it felt.

She was a really sweet girl and a lot of us liked her, but she was a little socially awkward.