GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

MaryPoppins 02-05-2013 10:40 AM

Sounds like Miss Wiccan was in recruitment because of strong arming by her mother or some other relative.

summer_gphib 02-05-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryPoppins (Post 2201799)
Sounds like Miss Wiccan was in recruitment because of strong arming by her mother or some other relative.

My first thought would be her interest in rituals...

naraht 02-05-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer_gphib (Post 2201803)
My first thought would be her interest in rituals...

I personally wouldn't expect much influence from either modern wicca or any particular Northern European nature related symbolism in any GLO rituals. I'd expect influences from Masonry, Greek/Roman Mythology, the Bible (either the New Testament for a Fraternity like ATO, or the Jewish Bible for ZBT), Egyptian Mythology for the HBCUs as well as Mythos from the Culture for various Cultural Fraternity and Sororities. (Asian for aKDPhi, Native American for Alpha Pi Omega, etc)...

AlphaFrog 02-05-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2201808)
I personally wouldn't expect much influence from either modern wicca or any particular Northern European nature related symbolism in any GLO rituals. I'd expect influences from Masonry, Greek/Roman Mythology, the Bible (either the New Testament for a Fraternity like ATO, or the Jewish Bible for ZBT), Egyptian Mythology for the HBCUs as well as Mythos from the Culture for various Cultural Fraternity and Sororities. (Asian for aKDPhi, Native American for Alpha Pi Omega, etc)...

But the Wiccan rushee wouldn't necessarily know that.

MysticCat 02-05-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 2201811)
But the Wiccan rushee wouldn't necessarily know that.

And archetypes are archetypes.

FSUZeta 02-05-2013 11:55 AM

But was she a good witch....or a bad witch?

naraht 02-05-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2201816)
But was she a good witch....or a bad witch?

Well, rather than allowing a girl who had gotten lost to make her way safely home, the witch hid information from her forcing her to travel a long way almost getting herself and her dog killed several times. I dunno, good witch or bad witch? ;)

carnation 02-05-2013 12:11 PM

There are some Greek Wiccans out there, even at good ol' Auburn because recently, a mom whose daughter went bidless said that her daughter was saying in tears, "Even the Wiccans got bids!"

MaryPoppins 02-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2201816)
But was she a good witch....or a bad witch?

Oz flashback, HAHAHAHAHA!

Roselove 02-05-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KD4Me (Post 2201687)
Rosebud, I suggest that you delete your posts and start over with this forum. Without intending to offend, you have indeed offended. Your last post was more offensive to me than your first. It is unacceptable to post a picture of a person to explain why you thought a PNM's eyewear was inappropriate for your party. For the record, I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted. They would not be the type I would choose for myself, but if someone else likes them, that's her (or his) choice.

For your sake, I hope that you are never diagnosed with an eye condition not correctable by contacts or surgery. I don't know how you would manage.

If you are new to greekchat, you might find it helpful to lurk a bit before posti more.

Deleted the glasses part. Don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

AlphaFrog 02-05-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2201812)
And archetypes are archetypes.

Truth. I've noticed fantasy/paranormal literature often quotes the Bible because the imagery works for their purposes just as well.

AlphaFrog 02-05-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2201818)
Well, rather than allowing a girl who had gotten lost to make her way safely home, the witch hid information from her forcing her to travel a long way almost getting herself and her dog killed several times. I dunno, good witch or bad witch? ;)

How else were they supposed to beat the morality into us if she would have just told ol' Dot in the first place?

There's no place like home.

MysticCat 02-05-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2201816)
Well, rather than allowing a girl who had gotten lost to make her way safely home, the witch hid information from her forcing her to travel a long way almost getting herself and her dog killed several times. I dunno, good witch or bad witch? ;)

There you go relying on the movie. Much as I like the movie, it really messed up the story.

In the (superior) book, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South, and Dororthy doesn't encounter her until the end of the book. The Good Witch of the North doesn't know the power of the silver shoes (not ruby slippers); she tells Dorothy that "there is some charm connected with them, but what it is we never knew." She does, however, kiss Dorothy on the forehead, leaving a mark that protects her on her travels.


Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 2201827)
How else were they supposed to beat the morality into us if she would have just told ol' Dot in the first place?

There's no place like home.

Well, remember the conceit of the movie -- that the whole thing is a dream (which really bugs me) -- and notice that Glinda is the only major character in Oz who doesn't have a counterpart in Kansas. Glinda, who says "you've had the power all along" pretty much is Dorothy, or at least something of a psychological archetype for her.

And yeah, I know I'm preaching to the daughter of the choir on this one.


So, he asked, trying to get the thread back on topic . . . Oz-themed rush parties with weird stories? :D

naraht 02-05-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2201819)
There are some Greek Wiccans out there, even at good ol' Auburn because recently, a mom whose daughter went bidless said that her daughter was saying in tears, "Even the Wiccans got bids!"

Are there any of the NIC, NPC or NPHC F&S where a Wiccan could *not* get a bid according to their National bylaws? I don't know whether a GLO that requires a "belief in God" would have to accept someone who is Wicca by that standard.

naraht 02-05-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2201851)
So, he asked, trying to get the thread back on topic . . . Oz-themed rush parties with weird stories? :D

Well when you go with "Oz-themed", the original book, the movie or maybe Wicked? There are a couple of songs from Wicked that might actually work well during rush, including "What is this Feeling" and "For Good".

"..whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend."


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.