GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

GeorgiaGreek 12-02-2012 08:14 PM

How has this wonderful thread been allowed to wither?!

I don't have any incredibly weird stories I ran recall right now, just one slightly confusing girl. This was during the first round, and this girl was very sweet, though her outfit definitely didn't go with the typical UGA rush style of sundress and cute sandals. Her outfit was very craftsy-looking, and she also had a very large crossbody bag that was all sorts of patchwork. Her hair and makeup weren't particularly done either, kind of messy, plain I suppose. Of course there are always some girls who come through that don't want to dress up and be super-primped even though most other girls take that route. The strange thing about the girl was that she was talking about how much she loved fashion! How she wanted to major in fashion merchandising and design clothing and just how into fashion she was. Trying to find common ground, I said how I loved looking at all the runway shows on Style.com and she had no idea what I was talking about. I turned the conversation to all the great boutiques and vintage stores in Athens and she seemed totally uninterested.
So, a not-very-fashionably dressed girl who says she loves fashion but doesn't want to talk about runway fashion or clothes shopping. Ooooookay, let me just tell you about Greek life then... Maybe she just thought mentioning fashion would make her more appealing to sororities, or maybe she's just kind of clueless, no idea. She seemed nice though. She didn't end up in my sorority, but I hope she found her home somewhere.

Edited to remove rush year; Don't want the girl to be identified if someone else happens to remember her

Roselove 02-04-2013 04:06 PM

Perhaps my stories are not as entertaining as the other but here they are.

We had a girl rush. Whenever asked a question about liking something she replied with "No". After trying to find out something to talk about a sister asked her what she liked to do for fun she replied "Pretty much anything, I enjoy everything"......right:confused:

Another rush was wearing clothing that was clearly from goodwill. It was so bad she smelled like a used clothing store. You would think she would have a friend to borrow a dress from or at least find a way to minimize the smell.

preciousjeni 02-04-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roselove (Post 2201625)
We had a girl rush with wearing glasses! I know some people cant wear contacts but you would think she would at least have taken them off for rush.

Hmmm...

DeltaBetaBaby 02-04-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

We had a girl rush with wearing glasses! I know some people cant wear contacts but you would think she would at least have taken them off for rush.
They were not flattering to her face as well.

:confused:

Wait, what? What part of the country (or maybe what planet) are you from where glasses are a fashion faux pas?

AZTheta 02-04-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Perhaps my stories are not as entertaining as the other but here they are.

Another rush was wearing clothing that was clearly from goodwill. It was so bad she smelled like a used clothing store. You would think she would have a friend to borrow a dress from or at least find a way to minimize the smell. Whenever asked a question about liking something she replied with "No". After trying to find out something to talk about a sister asked her what she liked to do for fun she replied "Pretty much anything, I enjoy everything"......right:confused:

QFP

:confused: interesting first post on GC.

KD4Me 02-04-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Maybe she actually wanted to see? One of my good friends specifically chose to wear her glasses to pref night. She told me afterwards that she did it because she didn't want to join a sorority that wouldn't give a bid to a girl who wore glasses. I always thought that was sort of crazy-who would think twice about a girl wearing glasses during recruitment? Apparently not.

DeltaBetaBaby 02-04-2013 04:40 PM

Okay, for real, is this a regional thing? In my neck of the woods, people wear glasses as a fashion accessory. Personally, I see better with contacts, but sometimes wear my glasses for a different look, and I have friends who wear glasses with non-corrective lenses. The idea of them being something to avoid is really strange to me.

thetalady 02-04-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

What a nasty, superficial comment...

summer_gphib 02-04-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Another rush was wearing clothing that was clearly from goodwill. It was so bad she smelled like a used clothing store. You would think she would have a friend to borrow a dress from or at least find a way to minimize the smell. Whenever asked a question about liking something she replied with "No". After trying to find out something to talk about a sister asked her what she liked to do for fun she replied "Pretty much anything, I enjoy everything"......right:confused:

I'm calling shenanigans!

thetalady 02-04-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer_gphib (Post 2201657)
I'm calling shenanigans!

And I am with you....

KD4Me 02-04-2013 06:47 PM

Rosebud, I suggest that you delete your posts and start over with this forum. Without intending to offend, you have indeed offended. Your last post was more offensive to me than your first. It is unacceptable to post a picture of a person to explain why you thought a PNM's eyewear was inappropriate for your party. For the record, I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted. They would not be the type I would choose for myself, but if someone else likes them, that's her (or his) choice.

For your sake, I hope that you are never diagnosed with an eye condition not correctable by contacts or surgery. I don't know how you would manage.

If you are new to greekchat, you might find it helpful to lurk a bit before posti more.

WCsweet<3 02-04-2013 07:44 PM

For what it's worth, those types of glasses are very popular in my neck of the woods. Yay for living in Hipster central.

summer_gphib 02-05-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 (Post 2201717)
For what it's worth, those types of glasses are very popular in my neck of the woods. Yay for living in Hipster central.

Not to totally derail this thread, but glasses can be a great conversation starter as well. They can be really cute, unique, and show a bit of personality even in formal events!

SigKapSweetie 02-05-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XOcarnation (Post 2201769)
When I got bumped, I tried to transition the conversation away from witchcraft, but apparently that is all she talked about to our entire bump group about.

Awkward. PNMs, religion can be a touchy subject regardless of what beliefs you hold. A polite mention of your involvement in youth group activities, church fundraisers, etc. would likely not go amiss, but spending the entire party talking about ANY religion with all of your rushers is not your best conversational move. Did this girl end up getting a bid anywhere?

chi-o_cat 02-05-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie (Post 2201789)
Awkward. PNMs, religion can be a touchy subject regardless of what beliefs you hold. A polite mention of your involvement in youth group activities, church fundraisers, etc. would likely not go amiss, but spending the entire party talking about ANY religion with all of your rushers is not your best conversational move. Did this girl end up getting a bid anywhere?

Also, when someone says she has not gotten involved with anything on campus due to her religion (or job, or relationship, or any other reason), it might make the recruiter wonder if she has time for a sorority or even would make the effort.