GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

Drolefille 02-01-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 2025930)
I rushed back in the day when food was served at parties (the food was fruit/cheese/veggies/cookies, little nibbles, no 7-course dinners or anything) and PNMs were not asked about food allergies. I suppose that if someone were highly allergic to peanuts or some other food item, she could mention it to her rho chi. It never happened, to my knowledge. A PNM who was, say, lactose intolerant would just downplay it and stick to "safe" items like fruit and water. Even my favorite psycho rushee (about whom I posted years ago in this thread) didn't walk into parties saying "Hi, I'm 'Sue' and I have Crohn's and I can't eat X, Y, or Z."

I actually have a non-weird rush story along these lines. I was speaking to a PNM during a party (I think it was the round before pref), and we got onto the topic of food, and she mentioned to me that she was diabetic. Well, I was Bid Day party chair, and when I learned she'd matched to us, I made sure there were some sugar-free cookies and Diet Coke for her. She became my little. :)

Exactly I would think if it were an issue today that I'd make it a rule to tell the Recruitment Counselors, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to tell the chapters themselves as a pre-pref thing. If it comes up in conversation naturally, ok sure no big deal, but not the way it was handled.

But like you, I'd have made the effort to have something edible for someone who was allergic/diabetic/etc.

DeltaBetaBaby 02-02-2011 09:52 AM

Hold up...is there no food served at pref anymore?

Drolefille 02-02-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2026008)

I don't know if some still do, but I believe the vast majority do not serve food anymore. We served beverages at a few parties, but I don't think pref was one of them, and it was similar at a chapter I helped at.

Someone with a bigger/SEC/more formal recruitment experience correct me if my assumption is wrong?

AnchorAlumna 02-02-2011 10:04 AM

Some do, some don't. We didn't when I was in school at the U of Alabama about 1880, but a chapter I advised was one of only 4 at their school, and they did full meals.

Drolefille 02-02-2011 10:09 AM

^^ Are there provisions for PNMs with allergies at schools that still do food?

LocalLove9 02-02-2011 10:16 AM

We still do food, not meals, just snack-y finger food type stuff. I don't think I really ate while rushing, maybe snacked on cheese and crackers at a couple of houses. Food is definitely optional for the pnms. If a pnm had an allergy, she could easily avoid eating, unless it was a super severe allergy.

Alumiyum 02-02-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 2026021)
^^ Are there provisions for PNMs with allergies at schools that still do food?

Chapters have finger food (usually little squares of cheesecake, chocolate covered strawberries, little cakes at some chapters...that sort of thing) during pref only at my campus, and though we never had a PNM with a severe allergy while I was active there is a spot on the sign up sheet to list allergies or other special needs. I'm sure the chapters would have no problem accommodating a PNM that needed a different food option. Surely that would be the case at just about any school that has food/snacks?

ETA: I would think food allergies and illnesses like diabetes would be common enough that it wouldn't be a shocker to have to make changes to the menu. I'm actually surprised that we never had a PNM with either food allergies or diabetes while I was active. We never did in my chapter, either. Just a few vegetarians...and yes, we provided alternative food options for them at events.

PhoenixAzul 02-02-2011 10:48 AM

I've been a type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) since I was 9, and usually, I just handle it by asking for water or just not eating what is there or eating just cheese.

During recruitment, I just sort of expected to not be able to eat at parties, so I ate before hand.

When I pledged my chapter, I became the default food buyer because I knew what I could and couldn't eat. And I always brought the Diet Coke ;-). But I don't know if I'd mention that in a first round party, unless it came up or unless I was going to pass out from hypoglycemia.

twinkle555 02-02-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2026008)

My chapter still does, just chocolate covered strawberries or little cheesecake squares..

Drolefille 02-02-2011 12:37 PM

^^ I revise my statements. I thought food was far less common than it is, although it seems like serving meals has gone more out of practice? I thought that no or low frills had cut back on a lot of the refreshments.

Alumiyum 02-02-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille (Post 2026077)
^^ I revise my statements. I thought food was far less common than it is, although it seems like serving meals has gone more out of practice? I thought that no or low frills had cut back on a lot of the refreshments.

There are still a lot of campuses that haven't cut back on the frills, though I don't know of any that serve meals...I wonder how much that costs?:eek: Our campus has ridiculous rules on drinks etc. but at least food is pref only. Personally I feel like it's a waste...half the PNMs won't eat it because they're so nervous and we were always told not to scarf down our food if the PNM wasn't...but we ended up eating most of it after they all left. That was always my favorite part haha.

DeltaBetaBaby 02-02-2011 03:23 PM

I always liked getting the cookie or whatever with my name written in icing.

Alumiyum 02-02-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2026147)
I always liked getting the cookie or whatever with my name written in icing.

I think there's at least one chapter here that still does that. You'll always hear the handful of PNMs that call it "creepy" (:rolleyes:...it's pref, be glad they remembered your name and let you get that far) but generally speaking that's always a big hit. I think they do cute little cakes.

33girl 02-02-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2026015)
Some do, some don't. We didn't when I was in school at the U of Alabama about 1880, but a chapter I advised was one of only 4 at their school, and they did full meals.

I can. not. IMAGINE eating a full meal at pref. I'm hoping it wasn't the stuffed chicken breast that gets served at each and every formal (you have 8 semesters to choke down that shiz).

GeorgiaGreek 02-02-2011 04:29 PM

My chapter serves a decent amount of food for pref...of course we don't really expect all the girls to eat all of it unless it's their only pref. It's more that we have a plate with a variety of things on it so they'll at least have something they like.
I know some other sororities do dessert foods like cheesecake.
For UGA, the first round is waters, the next round is other beverages (coffee-type drinks, smoothies, lemonade) , and the third round can have a some food (I know we have done little desserts in the past). Then pref is more substantial food, or at least a larger amount of food.