GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

UGAalum94 11-06-2006 09:37 PM

She sure sounds unforgettable!

I can remember some girls talking about rushee who wanted to be known by her hometown nickname of "Little Bit." Apparently her grandfather had given her this nickname, and the town was small enough that everyone called her "Li'l Bit" her whole life. There was no reason in her mind that people she just met shouldn't call her that too.

I guess it never occured to her that it would make folks see her in a Dogpatch
kind of light, but I think it did.

carnation 11-06-2006 10:38 PM

Now I have to know if she pledged!

Boy, you have to watch those kinds of nicknames. Mr. Carnation's aunt has always been called "Little Bit" and looking at old pictures, you can see where it came from. Since I've known her, however, she's been around 275 lbs. and almost everybody still calls her that and the poor woman truly wishes they'd quit.

AChiOhSnap 11-06-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphagamuga (Post 1352907)
She sure sounds unforgettable!
I guess it never occured to her that it would make folks see her in a Dogpatch
kind of light, but I think it did.

As a former musical theatre geek, I really appreciate this reference :)

honeychile 11-07-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap (Post 1352963)
As a former musical theatre geek, I really appreciate this reference :)

I always think of Delta Zeta when I hear Dogpatch - they did a skit to that for years!

UGAalum94 11-07-2006 05:52 PM

Li'l Bit

I don't know if she pledged: I wish I knew.
UGA is such a big place that I don't think I ever heard of Li'l Bit again.
(Or maybe she dropped the nickname once classes started.)

Carnation, I agree that it would be a hard nickname to live down, especially as one became more substantial.

I actually looked up Li'l Abner to see where the apostrophe went. I was tempted to go with Lil' Bit.

33girl 11-08-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphagamuga (Post 1353335)
I actually looked up Li'l Abner to see where the apostrophe went. I was tempted to go with Lil' Bit.

The apostrophe goes where the first letters are omitted.

example: Guns 'n Roses

But you get a big hug from this grammar whore for actually checking it. :D

MSKKG 11-08-2006 10:45 AM

Technically, there should be an apostrophe for all letters omitted: Guns 'n' Roses.

I guess "Li'l" is used for Li'l Abner since the "e" is silent?

twinkle555 01-24-2007 11:16 AM

one of our PNMs actually insulted us. she was talking to one of my sisters and casually mentioned that "some of our girls were really pretty, but some were really ugly." :eek: i cant believe she had no problem saying that in front of us! then she whipped out her cell phone and had a short conversation right then and there. oh and she also commented on the "huge" size of my boobs lol..which i cant figure out if its a compliment or a insult :p

after the last day of recruitment, me and one of my other sisters were sitting in front of one of the more popular buildings and the girl spotted us. she came over and talked my sister about "no hard feelings about us not giving her a bid" and mentioned that she was going to go to the other spring rushes for XYZ and ABC sororities. we definitly warned the other sororities ahead of time! not only did she come up to us out of no where acting like a friend..she called my sister (who i was sitting with) one of her "best friends"..on facebook!! needless to say we were creeped out!:eek:

amanda6035 01-24-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinkle555 (Post 1388562)
..she called my sister (who i was sitting with) one of her "best friends"..on facebook!! needless to say we were creeped out!:eek:

oh my god, that sounds like this girl....uh...

Gee, I really wanna tell this story, but it's current - like RIGHT NOW going on....my president would shoot me if I posted it...

Basically, long story short, there's this one girl who has annoyed the piss out of both sororities, and neither wants her and she doesnt know how to take NO for an answer. She doesnt understand the concept of "okay, thats great, you want us. Guess what, we havent invited you. Back off!" yet.

If you want more details, PM me, I cant post it publicly.

NikkiB 04-19-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldDustRhia (Post 1073752)
I was a PMN in Fall of '03. It was pref night, and I was at the last house of my three invites for that evening. I was trying to keep an open mind but I had already fallen in love with my house, and was never really impressed with this house all through rush. XYZ house was the last invite of the evening and I was trying to be polite,attentive and respect their ceremony. While I was being hard rushed after the ceremony, the girl who was hard rushing me grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eye and told me "I can see you being president of this sorority one day." I was freaking out because I knew that both of those things were HUGE rush infractions. Who says that to a PMN? Needless to say I only ranked 2/3 houses that night...

I went through rush last fall, and knew by day 2 I wanted to be a Kappa. Another house on campus was known for taking anyone, and they really liked me. The same girl rushed me the last 3 days, inlcuding pref day, and on pref day kept hugging me and telling me she couldnt wait to see me in her letters and be my sister. then on bid day, we were all at the fountain and her sorority was next to Kappa and she walks over to me and goes "I'm so disappointed. WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT OUR BID?!" yelling the last part at the top of her lungs. it was a special experience

cuteASAbug 04-19-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkiB (Post 1432501)
I went through rush last fall, and knew by day 2 I wanted to be a Kappa. Another house on campus was known for taking anyone, and they really liked me. The same girl rushed me the last 3 days, inlcuding pref day, and on pref day kept hugging me and telling me she couldnt wait to see me in her letters and be my sister. then on bid day, we were all at the fountain and her sorority was next to Kappa and she walks over to me and goes "I'm so disappointed. WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT OUR BID?!" yelling the last part at the top of her lungs. it was a special experience

Wow. That is some story. Couldn't she have gotten into a lot of trouble for blatantly promising you a bid like that?

NikkiB 04-19-2007 02:52 PM

I thought so, but she was really sweet and I didn't want to get her in trouble. i still see her around campus, and if I'm wearing letters, she just glares at me. Lucky for me their house is 2 streets away from ours, lol

guardedbystars 05-14-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkiB (Post 1432501)

I do not understand why girls HUG/grab their PNMs... I don't want them to hug me if I had just met them, so I wouldn't hug them.

It's a HUGE difference between leading them into a room by touching their shoulder or arm lightly and grabbing/constantly hugging a PNM.

KSUViolet06 05-14-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guardedbystars (Post 1447450)
I do not understand why girls HUGtheir PNMs... I don't want them to hug me if I had just met them, so I wouldn't hug them.

Yeah I don't get this either. We were always instructed not to hug a PNM unless they initiate it. I once greeted a girl at the door during House Tours day who practically JUMPED into my arms when I went to open the door. I had no choice but to hug her back.:eek:

honeychile 05-14-2007 11:16 PM

Nikki's experience is soo much like mine! When I accepted my bid, we had an All Greek Mixer that night. Sounds nice, right, all Greeks accepting celebrating their bids? Wrong! AT LEAST six of the sisters of the other sorority I preffed came over, hugged me, and cried on my shoulder! My shirt was absolutely soggy from their tears and possibly worse. My new sisters were absolutely aghast at them!