GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumni Involvement (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Requesting letters of rec. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=134598)

christie728 05-29-2013 05:53 AM

my letter

Letters of recommendations

amIblue? 05-29-2013 05:57 AM

1. Recs do not have to be from alumnae that attended your school. They are best from women that you know in real life who belonged to any chapter of the sorority at your school. There's about a million threads on here about getting recs.

2. There is no need to post the same question in multiple threads.

3. Good luck!

ThetaPrincess24 05-29-2013 06:39 AM

If you aren't attending until 2017, you have plenty of time to meet women in person from sororities, not on the interwebs! Use these next few years to get involved in leadership and community volunteering. Ask your teachers. If you play sports, ask your coaches. If you attend church, get involved and ask around. If you work, or plan to, ask your boss and coworkers. You will likely meet sorority women doing that. Chicago should also have a fairly large Alumnae Panhellenic. Use their resources closer to the time to help you find letters of recommendation. They may even do informational sessions at your high school or part of Chicago. If they do, GO. :)

knight_shadow 05-29-2013 06:42 AM

^^ I think c/o 2017 = starting fall 2013

Katmandu 05-29-2013 07:42 AM

Two words of advice...STOP NOW.

Don't post anything else now. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Look among your teachers, friends' parents, coaches, work acquaintances and church/civic friends for recs. Ask everyone you know, including male friends (their mothers and wives may be in sororities) . Be prepared to provide good quality non slutty photos and a resume that has your class rank, GPA, activities, interests and awards.

Clean up your Facebook page and take down any questionable photos and comments. Read Greek Chat threads about SEC recruitment. Read those threads again.

Then if you have questions, ask. Do not ever post that you are interested only in specific sororities. It is considered impolite. If you are going to be attending school in the south, polite is important. Good luck.

Old_Row 05-29-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christie728 (Post 2218809)
Hey y'all I'm going to an incoming freshman at ole miss class of 2017 and definitely plan on rushing, but I don't know anyone who has ever gone there so I'm looking for some letters of recommendation to a sorority from any alumnae that have graduated from ole miss. I live in the Chicago area, and preferably looking into joining Pi beta phi, kappa kappa gamma, kappa delta, AOpi, Chi omega, Tri Delta, or Phi Mui. So if you've been in any of these sororities I'd really appreciate if you could message me and possibly write me a letter of recommendation.
HOTTYTODDY!

How can you be interested in only certain sororities when you haven't even met them yet?

MaryPoppins 05-29-2013 09:52 AM

Word to the wise, search for information on Greek Chat before asking questions. You do this by entering "Greekchat [School Name] Recruitment Rush" in your search engine. Since you didn't do that, I will give you the threads you most need here:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=132074

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=125443

AZTheta 05-29-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Row (Post 2218828)
How can you be interested in only certain sororities when you haven't even met them yet?

THIS is why I absolutely adore Old_Row.

To the OP: good luck. I think you forgot to mention Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Gamma, and one other sorority that's at Ole Miss... but that's all right. Somehow I think your problem will resolve itself by the second round.

amIblue? 05-29-2013 10:39 AM

Holy cow! I totally missed that she was only interested in certain ones.

honeychile 05-29-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTheta (Post 2218836)
THIS is why I absolutely adore Old_Row.

To the OP: good luck. I think you forgot to mention Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Gamma, and one other sorority that's at Ole Miss... but that's all right. Somehow I think your problem will resolve itself by the second round.

I know that I felt very special about the OP not wanting to be bothered with a colony - and I'm currently in Chicago.

greekdee 05-29-2013 01:53 PM

OP -- I believe Ole Miss is requesting recs be in no later than September 2nd, but try not to skid in at the 11th hour. Plus, alumnae who do recs often get covered up with them in the summer; you will also risk problems contacting people due to vacations, etc. The sooner you get on this, the better.

And be sure to keep all the Ole Miss sororities on your interest radar. This is one competitive recruitment you're heading into, and an open mind to all houses is very needed for a successful outcome. All the sororities have so much to offer!

DeltaBetaBaby 05-29-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2218850)
I know that I felt very special about the OP not wanting to be bothered with a colony - and I'm currently in Chicago.

I could probably find her a Phi Mu rec in the Chicago area. If I wanted to.

exlurker 05-29-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2218856)

Priceless! Another example of why I love a lot of DeltaBetaBaby's posts.

MaryPoppins 05-29-2013 06:30 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b9e12883c...rnlao2_500.gif

Titchou 05-29-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2218856)

And I could find her a DG one but she doesn't want it - so neither do I!