GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Joining another sorority after 2 years (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=126381)

tink280 05-01-2012 06:59 PM

Joining another sorority after 2 years

Okay so here is my story 2 years ago i pledged a sorority fall semester my freshman year and went through the initiation process. I was a member for only a semester but had to drop out the beginning of the second semester due to health issues. I ended up having to pay spring semester dues since i waited until after winter break to quit. (big mistake $400+ lost) I never attended one event/meeting and they still made me pay. Any way i ended up going back home after my first year to attend my local community college and now im about to graduate and attend another 4-year university. My question is if i will be able to join another sorority when i get to this new university, or will I have to join the same sorority since they do have it at the new school? I never left on bad terms but just could not attend all those meeting while being sick.

Oh and if i sign up for rush should i disclose that i was in a NPC chapter or just let them figure it out if they ever do.

AGDLynn 05-01-2012 07:02 PM

YOU CANNOT JOIN ANOTHER NPC GROUP!!!!

Sorry, chickie!!

And yes...the new groups will probably find out.

KSUViolet06 05-01-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tink280 (Post 2142749)
Okay so here is my story 2 years ago i pledged a sorority fall semester my freshman year and went through the initiation process. I was a member for only a semester but had to drop out the beginning of the second semester due to health issues. I ended up having to pay spring semester dues since i waited until after winter break to quit. (big mistake $400+ lost) I never attended one event/meeting and they still made me pay. Any way i ended up going back home after my first year to attend my local community college and now im about to graduate and attend another 4-year university. My question is if i will be able to join another sorority when i get to this new university, or will I have to join the same sorority since they do have it at the new school? I never left on bad terms but just could not attend all those meeting while being sick.

Oh and if i sign up for rush should i disclose that i was in a NPC chapter or just let them figure it out if they ever do.

If you are initiated into ANY NPC sorority, you may not join another.

To save time, let's not play the "but how would they know" game. They will find out. Anytime anyone has ever attempted, it has been discovered, and the consequence = losing membership in both orgs.

Always AlphaGam 05-01-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Since you were already initiated into an NPC sorority, you may not join another NPC sorority...EVER.

As far as re-joining your sorority, that's something you should ask your HQ, not random strangers on GreekChat.

thetalady 05-01-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

:( Will you "have to join the same sorority?" Um, absolutely not.

I cannot imagine that your prior organization would even consider extending you another bid. You resigned from that group. You are not a member anymore. They have no obligation to you and you have no obligation or privileges with that organization.

You cannot join another NPC... period. Sorry, you might look into other options like service or local GLOs.

ree-Xi 05-01-2012 07:29 PM

Two years, ten years or a hundred years later, if you've been initiated into an NPC sorority, you cannot "join" another NPC organization. Period. It doesn't matter how special your reason was, it's just not allowed.

And if you did have health problems, I hope that they have been resolved.

LAblondeGPhi 05-01-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2142760)
:( Will you "have to join the same sorority?" Um, absolutely not.

I cannot imagine that your prior organization would even consider extending you another bid. You resigned from that group. You are not a member anymore. They have no obligation to you and you have no obligation or privileges with that organization.

The OP might be confused about how she left her organization... if she left her school altogether for health reasons, it's theoretically possible that her organization changed her status to alumna or something like that (I believe Gamma Phi does that when you study abroad for a certain period of time).

The OP is clearly confused about what she can and cannot do, so just to be clear:
-You *might* be able to re-join your organization at your new campus by affiliating with them, but it's dependent on how you left your previous chapter (resigned your membership, or changed status due to leaving school, etc.) and if the new chapter votes to accept your transfer (not every chapter will accept a transfer sister, especially when there are less-than-ideal circumstances around your transfer).
-You are NEVER allowed to join another sorority if you've been initiated into another.

KDCat 05-01-2012 08:46 PM

Yes. If her bills were all paid and she left school for health reasons, she may be currently on alumna status. If so, she can ask to go active with her sorority's chapter at her new campus.

Her best bet is to contact her nationals and ask what her status is and what the procedure for being a collegiate member is, at this point.

Good luck, OP

aephi alum 05-01-2012 11:09 PM

For the eleventy-seventh time: Once you are initiated into an NPC sorority, you may never be initiated into a different NPC sorority. EVER. You WILL be found out.

You may be able to pursue active membership with the chapter at your new campus. You should check with your nationals on this. If this is not possible, you would still be an alumna.

You are free to join a service GLO or a local sorority at your new school.

Hope your health issues are resolved.

ZTAOnlytheBest 05-02-2012 12:22 AM

So, Idk about other chapters and other schools, but I feel like for us, before initiation, they made a big deal about it being a LIFETIME membership. Shouldn't this be a standard thing? And if it is, how do some people not understand that?

Psi U MC Vito 05-02-2012 12:31 AM

Because everybody is a special little snowflake and the rules don't apply to them. I also think there is an issue with my generation with understanding the concept of commitment.

DubaiSis 05-02-2012 12:53 AM

I think Psi U is right. But I do see a glimmer of hope with her sorority since she apparently paid her final dues. If she hadn't paid I would say she doesn't have a snowballl's chance in hell, but it's worth checking on her status with her org.

HOWEVER, OP, if your attitude stays HAVE TO JOIN, you're going to fall flat. You may well be an alumna and eligible for those privileges, but I don't think any collegiate chapter would be required to take you, even if you did have a good attitude. Start by contacting your headquarters, but be contrite. They owe you nothing and you need to remember that.

And if it turns out you are in reasonably good standing with your sorority, then I'd have a little come to Jesus session with yourself about what a lifetime commitment means.

ASUADPi 05-02-2012 09:01 PM

Question: Don't new member education programs discuss the NPC binding agreement? (i.e. you can't join another NPC).

If they do, with as many posters asking THIS very question, methinks people aren't paying attention in their new member classes.

WCsweet<3 05-02-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest (Post 2142823)
So, Idk about other chapters and other schools, but I feel like for us, before initiation, they made a big deal about it being a LIFETIME membership. Shouldn't this be a standard thing? And if it is, how do some people not understand that?

Mine definitely high lighted it as well. In fact just before we walked into initiation, my New Member Educator specifically said "If you walk into this room, you can never join another sorority." Thought it was weird at the time. I find it appropriate now.

LAblondeGPhi 05-02-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest (Post 2142823)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUADPi (Post 2143053)
Question: Don't new member education programs discuss the NPC binding agreement? (i.e. you can't join another NPC).

If they do, with as many posters asking THIS very question, methinks people aren't paying attention in their new member classes.

But as every teacher will tell you, there are always a handful of kids who won't understand or hear what you just said five times in a row.

I remember a young woman from my chapter who resigned her membership shortly after being initiated. She was a great girl, but just wasn't very mentally or emotionally present during her new member period. I was grabbing lunch with her a year later, and she mentioned how she had been hanging out with members of another chapter on campus, and those women were encouraging her to rush their house. So there you have several current, active members of an organization, and one recently resigned one, all not understanding their membership commitments!