GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sorority Strongholds? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=125233)

TriDeltaSallie 03-03-2012 12:14 AM

Sorority Strongholds?

I thought this was an interesting quote from the 1979 Life Article about Chi Omega that NutBrnHair posted the other day:

"I just hope to God that my daughter is a Chi Omega," said one sister recently. 'In Arkansas, when you say you are a Chi Omega, you get respect."

Do you find that your sorority has a stronghold in any particular state? I know that each group has parts of the country where they tend to be stronger or more highly represented. But is it your impression your sorority has a state like this Chi Omega perceived things to be in Arkansas at that time?

And I'm not thinking towns. I know from reading all the recruitment threads that certain towns go heavily for certain groups. I'm thinking entire states where if you are an ABC or an XYZ you will gain increased respect pretty much anywhere.

APhi4Ever 03-03-2012 12:32 AM

I couldn't say for sure. I know Alpha Phi has 23 collegiate chapters in California, all that are active, none are inactive, so state wise, we have the most collegiate presence there. Though just because a member is from one state or another is not something I have heard really discussed. I know it's always interesting to meet collegiate/alumnae from our founding chapter at Syracuse University because there is so much history there. I'm sure there are women in every sorority that perceive certain schools to have more prestigious or highly sought after chapters than others. However, at the end of the day, no matter what chapter of Alpha Phi a woman has joined, she is a sister regardless and that is what is most important.

PDTStaffer 03-03-2012 05:47 AM

Chi Omega was founded at Arkansas. In the Fayetteville area, you will see women with owl earrings, owl rings, owl necklaces.... Chi Omega is a pretty big deal there.

ZTAOnlytheBest 03-03-2012 06:05 AM

From what I hear, Florida seems to be zeta's stronghold.

AZTheta 03-03-2012 09:17 AM

/swerve TriDeltaSallie, where have you BEEN? Nice to hear from you!
end swerve/

(I probably did the swerve slash thing wrong, sorry, not enough sleep & my glasses are dirty)

psusue 03-03-2012 12:57 PM

In terms of number of chapters I think Sigma has the most in Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken. I think some close seconds are Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia. But I don't know if I would say that we have a 'stronghold' anywhere. But maybe that's just my perception.

melindawarren 03-03-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psusue (Post 2129733)
In terms of number of chapters I think Sigma has the most in Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken. I think some close seconds are Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia. But I don't know if I would say that we have a 'stronghold' anywhere. But maybe that's just my perception.

I was about to say something similar. SDT is a lot better known in NY than CA. In fact, we're the only chapter west of Texas.

amIblue? 03-03-2012 04:58 PM

I think the situation with Chi Omega and the state of Arkansas is very unique. Chi Omega is the only sorority founded at the largest university in the state. So many of our organizations share founding schools. (Monmouth Duo, Syracuse Triad, Farmville Four - I know I'm leaving some out - sorry!) On top of being the only sorority founded at Arkansas, the university doesn't have to compete with another large university for support (think Alabama & Auburn; Georgia & Georgia Tech; UNC & NC State; Texas & Texas A & M - among others). I do business in Arkansas, and I can say without hesitation that a majority of the people in the state are Arkansas fans. It's only natural that Chi Omega is going to get the lion's share of desirability in this situation. I think it's really a special thing, and it would be difficult to duplicate.

ThetaPrincess24 03-03-2012 05:21 PM

I would put Texas or California up as Theta's strongholds.

We have 7 active chapters in Texas but all of them are at major universities and 29 alumnae chapters. In California despite some chapters being inactive, we still have 18 active college chapters and 24 alumnae chapters.

als463 03-03-2012 06:34 PM

Georgia

I would have to say that for Phi Mu, it would probably be Georgia (along with Alpha Delta Pi, I figure) for obvious reasons---where we were founded. We are at 14 universities with a few of them being major schools like (UGA and Georgia Tech.), 13 Alumnae Chapters, 3 Chapter Associations, and our National Headquarters. I would think that Alpha Delta Pi would be big in Georgia, as well.

KSUViolet06 03-03-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psusue (Post 2129733)

If I had to choose a state, I'd go with PA, with MO in 2nd.

als463 03-03-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2129779)
If I had to choose a state, I'd go with PA, with MO in 2nd.

I know that Sigma Sigma Sigma does really well at Bloomsburg University.

glittergal1985 03-03-2012 07:08 PM

Theta Phi Alpha has strong name recognition in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, although we are building up a strong presence in the Midwest as well . :)

WCsweet<3 03-03-2012 07:54 PM

Whether it is true or not, I was always told that KD was a "southern sorority". If you look at our numbers, most of our chapters are in the south. 11 chapters in North Carolina, Ten in Tennessee. Eight in Florida, Georgia and Kentucky. The odd one out is Ohio which has 9 chapters. I'm not sure about the "strength" of the chapters. I'm trying to find the latest chapter awards.

TriDeltaSallie 03-03-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTheta (Post 2129700)
/swerve TriDeltaSallie, where have you BEEN? Nice to hear from you!
end swerve/

(I probably did the swerve slash thing wrong, sorry, not enough sleep & my glasses are dirty)

Hey AzTheta! I stop by quite regularly, but don't always comment. :)