GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumni Involvement (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   do any alumni wear letters? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121098)

aab225 08-04-2011 11:55 PM

do any alumni wear letters?

I felt like all of the seniors in my chapter passed down EVERYTHING they had with DG on it! Is it weird or inappropriate to wear letters after graduation? I know we're sisters forever, so is there something wrong with representing that? Or is it just not as socially acceptable as when you're in college?

33girl 08-05-2011 12:00 AM

You might not have as many opportunities to wear letters, but it's not inappropriate or weird, IMO. Would I wear them for casual day at work? No. Shopping or to the gym? Yes of course, why not?

We have sisters who gave away everything when they left school...and 20+ years later are buying new sets of letters because they miss not having them. I've never understood the "pass down" concept, unless you went really hog wild buying stuff.

knight_shadow 08-05-2011 12:08 AM

I wear letters at my GLO's events and if I go to Greek functions at my alma mater.

DubaiSis 08-05-2011 01:59 AM

Shortly after college I still wore my letters frequently - gym, hanging out, etc. As those shirts got older and smaller :eek:, they sort of went by the wayside. It would look pretty odd for me to be wearing them now, at 45, but if it was a t-shirt from an event, I suppose that would be a different thing. I think handing down some of your stuff is a great idea, but I don't think I'd hand down ALL of it. What would I have had to make a t-shirt quilt out of?

RaggedyAnn 08-05-2011 05:53 AM

I wear letters a lot, but they are usually an event shirt, such as for convention, etc. or a polo. I leave the block letters for sorority events or college events.

ASUADPi 08-05-2011 07:25 AM

I wear my letters everyday, via flip flops :D. I do wear my letters. I wear t-shirts. I have polos that I wear to work. Sweatshirts when it is cold.
I don't wear them as much as I did when I was in college, but I'm a proud member of ADPi and I'm going to show it.
Plus, wearing your letters is a great way to meet other sisters but other greeks as well.

LatinaAlumna 08-05-2011 11:03 AM

I wear mine to sorority events. I also wear my t-shirts and sweatshirts out around town (running errands, etc.). I frequently wear sorority jewelry to work (necklace or bracelet). No one ever looks at me weird, and if they did, I wouldn't care. :)

AlwaysSAI 08-05-2011 11:23 AM

I have an SAI lavalier that I wear daily. I used to have an Alpha Gam one, but, it got tarnished in the ocean when I forgot to take it off. (Anyone know how to clean it?)

We have jean Fridays where I teach, so occasionally, I'll wear an activity shirt. During the winter, I usually wear a letter sweatshirt under my coat. I frequently wear letters out and about around town, too.

I'd like to use all my activity shirts to eventually make (or get made) a t-shirt quilt.

AnchorAlumna 08-05-2011 11:43 AM

Those shirts do have a tendency to shrink over time!
I'm very careful about where I wear lettered T shirts. I don't want any future potential new members to think that we're ALL short, fat, gray-haired grandmothers! I usually only wear them around the house.
I do proudly wear my anchor badge, though, to church etc.

DrPhil 08-05-2011 11:50 AM

This varies by council and conference.

In the NPHC, alumnae/alumni wear symbols/letters anywhere the organization's protocol doesn't prohibit. The key is understanding that symbols/letters include but are not limited to 'nalia tshirts. If it can be done in a grown folks style, NPHCers do it until the dayyyyyyy weeeeeee dieeeeeeeee.

ETA: I am not saying that there are no variations within councils and conferences; or that the NPHC is the only council or conference in which members tend to wear symbols/letters as alumnae/alumni.

AlwaysSAI 08-05-2011 12:04 PM

^^^You Delta, you!

Splash 08-05-2011 12:31 PM

A lot of my lettered stuff is t-shirts or yoga pants so often I'll wear them lounging around the house.

BumbleBeeofDDD 08-05-2011 12:32 PM

I do. :) I have a few peices of jewelry with Deltas on them that I wear. Occasionally I'll wear a tee shirt or hoodie. I also have a large tote bag with my letters on them I sometimes use if I'm traveling.

thetalady 08-05-2011 12:32 PM

I do wear jewelry with my crest or badge on it regularly. I don't wear clothing with letters. I have moved far away from college, so I am not on campus for any activities. For me, I think going toward other forms of showing your affiliation is more appropriate at this point in my life.

FleurGirl 08-05-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumbleBeeofDDD (Post 2076502)
I do. :) I have a few peices of jewelry with Deltas on them that I wear. Occasionally I'll wear a tee shirt or hoodie. I also have a large tote bag with my letters on them I sometimes use if I'm traveling.

I love traveling with my letter tote. I've met so many sisters that way.