GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

TLLK 02-24-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Another one was talking to a girl and asked "oh how would your friends describe you" and this girl goes "crazy, insane, funny" and in an attempt to further the convo she said "oh what is the craziest thing you've ever done" thinking it might lead to something like a PNM saying she went sky diving or something. The PNM goes "I can't legally tell you." I have no idea if this girl got a bid but that is the last thing you say to a sister rushing you!

Cookiez17-Not sure how any sorority recruitment school could have prepared sisters for that answer!

Sciencewoman 02-24-2020 08:02 PM

We have another "B" to add to the list of best-avoided recruitment topics -- add "bail" to booze, boys, and Bible.

ChioLu 09-24-2020 03:53 PM

OK this is a funny one! Two women at Bentley University dressed up as guys to go through virtual fraternity recruitment. Didn’t last long.
https://www.intheknow.com/2020/09/23...tment-meeting/

TLLK 09-24-2020 07:45 PM

I love it. I know that there is an old story about two fraternity brothers going through in person recruitment many years ago. I'll try to find it.

Sciencewoman 09-24-2020 10:13 PM

^^^ I posted that, if it helps you search! I'm too lazy to search for it tonight!

Sciencewoman 09-24-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2078272)
This is definitely my "bestest" recruitment story...

In the mid-80's, when I was a collegian, we received a phone call from the Panhellenic Office in between the first and second parties of Round One: Two fraternity men, named Pat and Chris, had officially registered for sorority rush under their real names. No one realized that they were guys until they showed up to meet their Rho Chis at the first house on that group's schedule. The Panhellenic office told us to be polite to them and not to make a scene, for the sake of the legitimate PNMs. An administrator was being sent to either our house or their 3rd scheduled party, to intercept the guys and pull them out of the group, but she definitely wouldn't get there before our party started.

We all tried to get a discrete look out the window as the group lined up on the sidewalk outside our house. First in line were the 2 Rho Chis, looking really put out as they clutched their clipboards. A few feet away, in the front of the line, were the 2 guys...and this was classic. They were definitely sporting "what not to wear" outfits...ugly wigs, elbow purses like Queen Elizabeth, floral house dresses, and sensible pumps. One had a straw hat with a flower on the brim, and their make-up left a lot to be desired...especially the big, round, pink circles of blush on each cheek. The PNMs were lined up a safe distance down the sidewalk and looked completely befuddled and even more nervous than usual. The guys, who were well-known in the Greek community, had huge smiles and were eagerly and patiently waiting.

As they came in, we paired them off with a couple of steadfast members who steered them into the TV room for conversation, instead of the living room. I'm not even sure they realized this was a "snub" because the next day the campus newspaper ran a front-page story on the whole debacle and we were really happy because we got some great PR out of the whole adventure...one of the guys was quoted as saying the "Gamma Phi Betas were the friendliest house and were the nicest to us."

I lied...here it is! It's back on page 76, and led to some follow-up discussion...the best part was that another GCer whose sorority was right next door also remembered this event and confirmed that by asking if this was at Maryland, which it was!

thetalady 09-24-2020 11:21 PM

And in today's climate, sororities might even have invited them back to the next party... because inclusion and diversity.

thetalady 09-24-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2479764)
OK this is a funny one! Two women at Bentley University dressed up as guys to go through virtual fraternity recruitment. Didn’t last long.
https://www.intheknow.com/2020/09/23...tment-meeting/

I admit that I have no sense of humor about this prank at all. We would be incensed if men treated a sorority and rush with disrespect like this. Sigh.... maybe I am just getting too old. I better go make sure no one is on my lawn. ;)

honeychile 09-25-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2473866)
We have another "B" to add to the list of best-avoided recruitment topics -- add "bail" to booze, boys, and Bible.

FTW

TLLK 04-24-2021 01:36 PM

Considering that this is the first year of nearly every campus adopting virtual recruitment, I'd hope that there's at least one or two funny, crazy or strange tales to share.

Sciencewoman 04-25-2021 05:28 PM

They didn't make it to this thread, but I've heard tales of PNMs lying in bed during their Zoom, talking with people off-camera, not talking with their recruiter, wearing pajamas, etc.

carnation 08-03-2022 05:28 PM

bumping for recruitment 2022!

*winter* 08-04-2022 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifesaver (Post 149788)
Yeah, I have asked prospects this same question and gotten the following:
Me; So where do you come from?

Them:
"My mothers womb."
"The black pit of nothingness"
"The shuttle bus that dropped me off."
and
"Laredo, Texas. The second largest border city on the 1900 mile US/Mexican Border, and the largest inland port in the nation."

:eek:

Takes all kinds.....

LOL at the “shuttle bus” one! Maybe she was nervous?

carnation 04-07-2024 10:30 AM

I suddenly thought about this thread and had to bump it! These stories are unbelievable, yet I believe them! :D

TLLK 04-10-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieWashU (Post 506679)
There are a lot of DG chapters out there now that order leis from Hawaii for their PNMs to wear during the pref party and use in the pref ceremony. I am the ATC (Advisory Team Chair) for a DG chapter who just started using the lei ceremony last year. So the leis are ordered and delivered to the pref day party chair's house. She brings them to the DG house on the day of the party after storing them in her fridge, like she was supposed to.

We open the box and there are ice crystals on the leis b/c they were so cold. So we spread them out and try to let them warm up. They weren't completely warm or dry when the PNMs for the first party arrived. Our members, great troopers, wore the leis outside to greet the PNMs and then put the leis on the PNMs. At the end of the party, we took the leis back from the PNMs, and notices PURPLE OVAL STAINS from where the leis had rested on their clothes. To make it worse, Panhel at this school recommends that all PNMs wear light colors for prefs so they stand out from the members. So we marked the clothes, and the back of the necks, of our PNMs at our first pref party last year. Strangely enough, the majority of our pledge class (quota plus 1) came from that party.

This year we'll dry the leis a little earlier... :)

I was the Preference Chair my senior year and was determined to have orchid leis for the party. In previous years, the chapter had strung carnations together with dental floss. They looked good for about 20 minutes and then the flowers would slide down the floss and lump together at the bottom.

Fortunately one of my committee members worked for Conroy Flowers and was able to get us a great discount on the 40 plus leis we required.

I have to admit that I do miss the lei ceremony in 2024 and I'm a bit sad that it is no longer part of our preference.