GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   BG (Beloved Granddaughter) is a Senior! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=216923)

GratefulGramma 04-18-2016 08:10 PM

BG (Beloved Granddaughter) is a Senior!

Beloved Granddaughter is actually a Senior; in about three weeks she will become an Alumna (is that right?) of Zeta. I can't thank FSUZeta enough for her patience with my PM's when that road of sisterhood got kind of rocky. And I can't believe this road has lasted almost four years! She won't actually graduate until December, because there were just too many classes that she "had" to take before she finally gave it all up.

She has made the Dean's List the last three semesters, and thinks this might be that elusive 4.0 semester. She will be doing a Study Abroad program in London this Summer for six weeks, and is so incredibly excited! We all love Britain. There is a Facebook page for the students who will be there and they are busily planning their weekend jaunts to other places. Her dad will be in Amsterdam on business during the last week of her classes, so her mom will fly to Amsterdam when his meetings are over, they will explore for a couple of days and then join BG in London for the flight home.

She has made several friends who all feel they will be friends forever. Some of them came here during Spring Break; they were all so comfortable together and comfortable with each others' families (they had spent part of Spring Break in Dallas with another family). They have said they want to come back here for a few days before she leaves for London and they are separated for the Summer.

I know I am raving on, but Greek Chat has been my fall back place for four years and I wanted to say how grateful I am (see? I spelled it right!) to all of you; I absorbed knowledge even when I wasn't saying much. Thank you all.

honeychile 04-18-2016 09:02 PM

GratefulGramma, how exciting that your BG has done so well in school! May she continue to go from strength to strength as she graduates and starts her career!

(FSUZeta is good people, isn't she?)

FSUZeta 04-18-2016 09:09 PM

You both make me blush. Even though I have not met my MSU zister, I am proud of her. She will have a great experience studying abroad. I can't believe it has been(almost) 4 years. GG, you just have to stick around, because we need to know if gdaughter goes to grad school, gets a job, when she marries, first child, etc!

GratefulGramma 04-18-2016 09:33 PM

Oh, she plans to go to grad school; she wants to be a film editor or screenplay writer (lowly plans for future, huh?). She would love above all else to get into UT Austin, and since that's the closest to home, we would love that, too. But that is a tough school to get into, from what we have heard.

She is an incredible writer, she has had two papers entered into competitions by professors but didn't win the awards. She was supposed to get with the professors and do some editing, but she had more papers to write and never did. I just found out that my cousin's cousin is married to somebody in the film dept. of a prestigious school; he has offered to give her advice, so she has emailed him.

I don't know if I ever described BG. She was a "velcro baby" when she was little, never wanted to be separated from one of us. She was home schooled all the way through, and never desired to go to any kind of school. Very anxious, very much a home body. Then she found MSU, and Zeta, and she also found her wings. She belongs to an honors sorority, several campus organizations (has been local President and is now regional President of one of them). We are so amazed by the confident, ever-so-smart young woman she has become; she still loves being home with family, too.

FSUZeta 04-18-2016 10:10 PM

My son completed his masters in screenwriting from Fl. State and is seeking his fortune in LA. Tough business to get into- you must have patience to wait until it is your turn. PM if you want to know more about FSU's film school.

GratefulGramma 04-19-2016 10:14 PM

Pm'd and now waiting for her to read the information. Looks like a very, very good school to me.

GratefulGramma 04-25-2016 10:03 PM

Tonight was her last Chapter, ever. Wednesday night is Senior Night. When I first posted, I forgot that this is the last week of classes, I was looking at finals week.

FSUZeta 04-26-2016 05:20 PM

I am sure the chapter has many nice things planned for the seniors.

GratefulGramma 04-29-2016 10:47 PM

She was voted "Class Angel".

Instead of having a lot of money spent for a big party, her class will have a brick donated in their name on MSU's new Walk of Honor. They still had a lot of fun, and shed a lot of tears. I'll leave the link for a little while.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/And...263858_n-L.jpg

clemsongirl 04-30-2016 12:06 AM

How precious!

FSUZeta 04-30-2016 07:20 AM

How sweet!

AZTheta 04-30-2016 10:33 AM

GG, how can it be four years already? I hope that you will stick around and check in with us from time to time. I've always enjoyed your posts and you bring a good perspective to any discussion in which you participate!

Congratulations to your granddaughter. Graduation is a wonderful time. Please encourage your granddaughter to take advantage of not just her Zeta membership, but the broader Panhellenic Alumnae membership opportunities that are waiting. Most of my closest friends are Panhellenic sisters! We laugh and talk about all the similarities in our organizations. One said to me yesterday "we have 26 ways of saying the same things" which just tickled me.

GratefulGramma 06-25-2016 06:45 PM

BG is in Scotland this weekend, and has decided to just "build herself a castle on one of those hills". She is loving every single minute of her adventure in Great Britain, she conquered the Tube by her second day because she couldn't wait any longer to revisit Westminster. She bagged the last available seat for "MacBeth" at the Globe Theater on July 17. Her History of London class has to be the best class ever, with lecture on Monday and Tuesday, then field trips to the locations on Wednesday and Thursday. Her only problem is the younger kids who can't drink legally in the US but can in the UK. She said she is embarrassed for the US when she hears the loud drunken guys coming back past her dorm in the wee hours.

She was in London for the historic vote, and is eagerly approaching UK citizens to get their opinions of what happened. The response she is getting from most is that the outcome was a huge mistake; she has collected all the newspapers and will save the essential articles in the journal she is keeping.

I am so thrilled that she is squeezing every drop of adventure and learning out of this time.

FSUZeta 06-27-2016 07:19 AM

Sounds like she is having a good trip.

GratefulGramma 08-08-2016 05:45 PM

Well, BG loved every single second of her six weeks' stay in London! I think she matured several years in that six weeks, she took on activities that she would never have dreamed of before.

Our family gives her Zeta membership a lot of credit for her new self-confidence. Now we can, however reluctantly, accept that she is growing up and we'll be able to send her off to grad school, wherever she ends up.