GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Wanting to Give Greek Another Chance (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=238978)

wannabeinpan 11-29-2017 04:13 PM

Wanting to Give Greek Another Chance

Hello!

I am a freshman at my university and haven't had the typical sorority experience so far. I went through formal recruitment this fall and was in a sorority. I left before initiation so I can give Greek life a second chance next year. I wasn't fitting in with the women in the chapter I received a bid for, the chapter doesn't get involved much if at all in the Panhellenic community, and don't treat each other the way sorority sisters should. I went through recruitment to find a loving and supportive home in college, but felt like I was in a toxic one. Many other women have left the chapter for the reasons I did, including initiated members, so I know I'm not alone.

Because I plan on going through recruitment next fall I am wanting to find out what I should be taking into consideration as a sophomore that has already received a bid before. Throughout my recruitment experience, keeping an open mind was always emphasised. It is good to have an open mind in this process, but I don't think this is something I can do now that I have a decent amount of knowledge about the sorority community at my school. I'm really hoping I can find solutions for my concerns, get insightful advice, and possibly make connections with women on this site.

:)

33girl 11-29-2017 04:33 PM

How large and/or popular is the Greek system at your school? The answer to this has a great deal to do with your chances of receiving another bid.

Whatever end of the spectrum your Greek system is at, keeping an open mind is important. You may think you have had enough exposure to write XYZ sorority off and consider FGH sorority a favorite - but until you are part of an organization, you don't know what it's really like.

wannabeinpan 11-29-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2448183)
How large and/or popular is the Greek system at your school? The answer to this has a great deal to do with your chances of receiving another bid.

Whatever end of the spectrum your Greek system is at, keeping an open mind is important. You may think you have had enough exposure to write XYZ sorority off and consider FGH sorority a favorite - but until you are part of an organization, you don't know what it's really like.

You are right about not truly knowing what it's like until you're part of it. I honestly thought I would love the chapter I was in until I was in it for a couple months. About 1,300 women sign up every year. There were 12 sororities when I was going through recruitment, and a 13th sorority had a ceremony for their charting class last month. Each sorority takes around 80-90 women During my time in recruitment I met quite a few sophomores so it doesn't seem to be a super taboo thing to do at my school.

I hope this gives you an idea about the Greek system at my school :)

carnation 11-29-2017 05:18 PM

I think what she's saying is that many sororities won't touch someone who depledged another sorority.

wannabeinpan 11-29-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2448188)
I think what she's saying is that many sororities won't touch someone who depledged another sorority.

It is possible but I still am willing to give recruitment another try. Greek life is something I've always wanted to be part of so I'll try and try again. At my university many sophomores do go through recruitment, but I'm not sure about women who once had a bid. When I was going through recruitment I didn't have any recommendation letters and I'm not a legacy to any chapters at my school. Would having letters of recommendation along with a great college GPA change anything? Or is the fact I left a sorority going to make any of that less relevant?

FSUZeta 11-29-2017 05:39 PM

Try to get recommendations to each chapter. Contact ladies in your community when you are home for winter break.

I think one thing you must keep uppermost is a realistic view of yourself and each sorority. You will have a good idea of what type of woman the chapters look for in a member. Does ABC chapter have the top GPA but you have the minimum GPA required to make you eligible to rush? If so, you might have a hard time getting a bid from that chapter. Does super popular DEF always win the intramural championship but you would rather die than be outdoors? This might not be the place for you. I guess my point is that you will be happiest in a sorority most like you. Be sure to get(or stay) involved on campus-sororities want members to be involved and your HS activities will no longer count next fall.

wannabeinpan 11-29-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2448191)
Try to get recommendations to each chapter. Contact ladies in your community when you are home for winter break.

I think one thing you must keep uppermost is a realistic view of yourself and each sorority. You will have a good idea of what type of woman the chapters look for in a member. Does ABC chapter have the top GPA but you have the minimum GPA required to make you eligible to rush? If so, you might have a hard time getting a bid from that chapter. Does super popular DEF always win the intramural championship but you would rather die than be outdoors? This might not be the place for you. I guess my point is that you will be happiest in a sorority most like you. Be sure to get(or stay) involved on campus-sororities want members to be involved and your HS activities will no longer count next fall.

I'll definitely keep your advice in mind. As far as recommendations go I have been struggling with that a bit simply because of the fact everyone I know in Greek life who isn't a student is an alum from a sorority not at my school. I am a legacy to two sororities not at my school, and have distant relatives who were in other sororities. Which I assume doesn't help much considering which chapters are established at my school. Because of this I have been considering contacting the Panhellenic Association in my area.
For on campus involvement I have been doing research on other on campus clubs to be part of and plan on joining a couple next semester. Luckily social media and internet in general makes finding out what each sorority is most passionate about easy. Thanks for responding and reminding me to be realistic about my expectations!:D

Kevin 11-29-2017 06:18 PM

Little bit of a sidebar, but when I hear undergrads today tell me they're "researching" organizations for campus involvement, that means they might read the website/facebook/twitter/insta accounts the organization has, they might have creeped on some of the members' profiles, and that's about it. If you want to know what being in a campus organization is going to be like, show up to a meeting.

Titchou 11-29-2017 06:21 PM

I think I know which campus you are on - and I worked with them for several years on a PH project. You do need recs there for most of the groups. You do not need a peer to write a rec. Make a list of every woman you know who went to college: teachers, coaches, employers, SS teachers, neighbors, those who work with your parents, your friends' parents, etc. Ask all of them if they are sorority women or can introduce you to any. When you find one of the 13, be sure to ask if they know any of the other 12.Greek woman know Greek woman. In fact, I could get you a rec for every one of those chapters if you were from my home town! You need to network. You need at least a 3.5 GPA also as an upperclassman.

wannabeinpan 11-29-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2448194)
Little bit of a sidebar, but when I hear undergrads today tell me they're "researching" organizations for campus involvement, that means they might read the website/facebook/twitter/insta accounts the organization has, they might have creeped on some of the members' profiles, and that's about it. If you want to know what being in a campus organization is going to be like, show up to a meeting.

I will say I have done that type of research, but I also have talked with some of the members of different on campus clubs/organizations and been to a meeting or two for some as a way to truly know which ones I like. As I have mentioned I was in a sorority but left before initiation, so I also know what chapter meetings are like. Although chapter meetings could be different depending on the sorority.

wannabeinpan 11-29-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2448195)
I think I know which campus you are on - and I worked with them for several years on a PH project. You do need recs there for most of the groups. You do not need a peer to write a rec. Make a list of every woman you know who went to college: teachers, coaches, employers, SS teachers, neighbors, those who work with your parents, your friends' parents, etc. Ask all of them if they are sorority women or can introduce you to any. When you find one of the 13, be sure to ask if they know any of the other 12.Greek woman know Greek woman. In fact, I could get you a rec for every one of those chapters if you were from my home town! You need to network. You need at least a 3.5 GPA also as an upperclassman.

That all sounds great to do! During my winter break I will be seeing some of my family who were in sororities, and talk to them more about it to follow up with the emails I sent them today. Before then I'll make a list of women who went to college that I know to ask like you suggested. I am on track to having a GPA at 3.5 and know I have to maintain that next semester as well. I'm not entirely sure if we are talking about the same university. Since I am new to this website I haven't added my location or anything yet. Feel free to PM me if you're wanting to ask anymore about my situation, give any advice or anything else :)

APhi2KD 12-05-2017 10:26 PM

Get to know greek women on campus, keep reaching out to find recs (contacting your local Panhellenic Association is a way to go, as you mentioned), and also start working on your resume’ now. Look online for examples (they will range from 0 to crazy over-the-top, as you’ll see). You can tweak it throughout the year as it changes, but you will need to supply your rec writers as much info as possible. Work hard on the GPA, don’t draw negative attention to yourself, and behave as you would like a member of your sorority (if you were already in) to be seen behaving. Be the sorority member you want to become, if that makes sense. Sorry your first experience wasn’t good. Good job for reaching out early, and good luck to you!

AXOrushadvisor 12-10-2017 12:37 PM

I think I know what campus

If you were on the campus I think you are on Sophomores routinely find homes in most chapters. For the strong recruiting chapters on campus, you will need to be the total package with a very strong GPA 3.5 or above, plus activities and leadership is an added bonus (student government ect)

The chapters will know you are coming back through. Do girls get placed in the situation you are in? Yes, they do especially if you left on your own. Be very careful while out and about because sorority girls tend to be every where. More then one PNM has been cut because they are sloppy or are known not to have got morals.

Message me if you want to talk about strategy. I would be happy to help you.