GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sad situation at Alabama Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135929)

thetalady 09-11-2013 12:35 PM

Sad situation at Alabama Recruitment

I am NOT casting shade on any of the sororities in this article. Just extremely sad at this situation at the University of Alabama.

Black Rushees Blocked During Recruitment

Sen's Revenge 09-11-2013 12:42 PM

And this is why "Membership Selection" needs to be demystified. This is abhorrent.

thetalady 09-11-2013 12:53 PM

A little more information:

The Final Barrier: 50 years later, segregation still exists

Sen, what do you mean that membership selection needs to be "demystified"? I am not certain what you are suggesting. If you mean that our membership selection activities be made public, then I very strongly disagree with you.

Sen's Revenge 09-11-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2238549)
A little more information:

The Final Barrier: 50 years later, segregation still exists

Sen, what do you mean that membership selection needs to be "demystified"? I am not certain what you are suggesting. If you mean that our membership selection activities be made public, then I very strongly disagree with you.

If your process allows alumnae to intercede, then yes, that needs to be public.

If your process allows racial discrimination, then yes, that needs to be public.

And so on.

carnation 09-11-2013 01:02 PM

I would say that if membership selection policies had to be made public for the NPC and NIC, the the same should be done with the NPHC. And it ain't gonna happen for any of them.

GreenBookGirl 09-11-2013 01:09 PM

If these allegations are true, I am glad that this article was written. The situation isn't just sad, it is outrageous and reflects poorly on every NPC sorority. Alabama is usually lauded on GreekChat as being one of the strongest Greek communities in the country... um, no.

Sen's Revenge 09-11-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2238551)
I would say that if membership selection policies had to be made public for the NPC and NIC, the the same should be done with the NPHC. And it ain't gonna happen for any of them.

NPHC policies are more public than you think. You just never had to think about them. Nice try though.

And it's not about who shares what - it's about your racist alumnae sistergreeks. Get them together rather than pick at what I say.

Football Fan 09-11-2013 01:17 PM

Only one side of the story is being reported here. Who are these unidentified women who were interviewed?

Tri Delta has women of all races in their chapters.

carnation 09-11-2013 01:18 PM

I'm not "trying" anything. And I don't know the alums in question or the black PNM but it sounds like we and the other groups missed out on a good member.

But...a lot of times, someone who wants to pledge an NPHC group will come here and start asking questions and people hush her up and tell her she's being grossly indiscreet. Some have expressed major frustration because they feel blocked out because they're not "in the know" from families or friends.

ASTalumna06 09-11-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2238549)

Quote:

"People are too scared of what the repercussions are of maybe taking a black girl,” Gotz said. “That’s stupid, but who’s going to be the one to make that jump? How much longer is it going to take till we have a black girl in a sorority? It’s been years, and it hasn’t happened.”
Am I to understand that there isn't even ONE black NPC member among all the chapters at Alabama?

thetalady 09-11-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Football Fan (Post 2238556)
Only one side of the story is being reported here. Who are these unidentified women who were interviewed?

We have ALL had members of many races in our chapters in the past and currently... just not at UA :mad:

BlueCarnation 09-11-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

I think it's fair to say that all the sororities mentioned have women of all races in their chapters in general. I don't think anyone on here thinks there is an issue with the national organizations.

It took a lot of courage for these young women to speak out--if this did indeed happen. They probably would not have said anything if they knew their names would be revealed as they/their sororities could face serious repercussions, fair or unfair. There is no reason that they had to give their names. Sounds like the stories are consistent and there may be something to look into.

Low D Flat 09-11-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Am I to understand that there isn't even ONE black NPC member among all the chapters at Alabama?
I don't know if there is one currently. There have been at least two African-American members of one chapter. As for the other chapters, no, as far as we know. The previous black new members were major national news, so I doubt that there are presently any others, unless they are passing.

Edited to add: I forgot about SDT. I was thinking about the chapters in formal recruitment, since that's what the article is about. The CW article also overlooked a biracial woman of African-American descent who joined GPhiB prior to Carla Ferguson. If I recall correctly, she later said that she was not intentionally trying to pass, but that many people did not realize she was of AA descent.

GreenBookGirl 09-11-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

This story is not one-sided. At least some sororities had the opportunities to respond and instead of denying racism they gave generic, politician-like statements that mean nothing.

FSUZeta 09-11-2013 01:27 PM

ASTAlumna:

As the Crimson White reported and as I read it, at Bama there have been black members of SDT in the past, and one black member of Gamma Phi Beta. There was been one white member of a Bama NPHC organization, Zeta Phi Beta sorority.

It sounds like changes are coming though, because the Bama collegiate NPC members are speaking out.