GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   FSU Fraternities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=97677)

britbit08 07-09-2008 05:32 PM

FSU Fraternities

Hello guys,

My brother is going to rush at FSU as a freshman this year and I was wondering how it was structured. Do guys who attend summer parties have a better chance of getting a bid from a certain fraternity?

Thanks!
Brit.

FSUZeta 07-09-2008 05:34 PM

we have a couple of guys from fsu who post frequently. hopefully they will see your post and answer your questions. good luck to your brother!

Benzgirl 07-09-2008 05:43 PM

Fratty, where are you?

PANTHERTEKE 07-10-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britbit08 (Post 1678464)
Hello guys,

My brother is going to rush at FSU as a freshman this year and I was wondering how it was structured. Do guys who attend summer parties have a better chance of getting a bid from a certain fraternity?

Thanks!
Brit.

Yeah, this applies to any school.

CrackerBarrel 07-10-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE (Post 1678665)
Yeah, this applies to any school.

Not so much. You can also attend a summer party and convince everyone that you're a douche and lose a bid you may have otherwise gotten.

And I think FSU does an informal rush week where you just visit the houses you're interested in, if they like you you'll get invited to the actual parties that IFC says they aren't supposed to be having and get a bid at some point.

PhiGam 07-10-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 1678471)
Fratty, where are you?

Summer rush parties are not necessary but attending them does greatly increase a rushee's chance of getting a bid. It's just a chance for the brothers to meet potential rushees and size them up while rushing them at the same time.
For example, we have one coming up on Saturday. The goal is to a) make sure the rushees have a great time and b) make sure that the rushees can handle themselves in a social environment.

FlaGirl07 07-10-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhiGam (Post 1678785)
Summer rush parties are not necessary but attending them does greatly increase a rushee's chance of getting a bid. It's just a chance for the brothers to meet potential rushees and size them up while rushing them at the same time.
For example, we have one coming up on Saturday. The goal is to a) make sure the rushees have a great time and b) make sure that the rushees can handle themselves in a social environment.

I imagine I'll be running into you Saturday.

ree-Xi 07-10-2008 11:50 AM

Sort of a hijack, but I was wondering how guys who live way out of the area fare in terms of rushing. Since they aren't close, don't attend one of the more local HS, don't know anyone and probably not privy to how things work at a school say, in FL or in the SEC, they probably have no idea that summer rush parties exist unless they are hyper vigilent about the Greek system and research it.

Is that the very point, that out of staters are at a measurable disadvantage (I heard this is the case in many southern sorority chapters) due to not personally knowing anyone or the system? They would have to do their due diligence to figure this out, make some sort of connection, and/or be a super prospective new member come fall. Perhaps in working that hard to research the process for out-of-staters might put them on equal footing with those who are local (given that these guys are on similar footing acedemically, socially, etc.).

I have no personal connection to any of these schools or people, I am just wondering how low the chances are that someone not familiar with the practices down there have to be selected by a Fraternity.

Niedermeyer 07-10-2008 12:07 PM

Here's the reality about fraternity rush.

Interestingly, I have found many opinions on it by folks on this board to be a bit of a stretch. Especially posts from those living in the south.

Greeks can't be as selective as many claim simply because there are not that many "super cool" kids to go around. Every house has a few "birds". I was in a top tier house, at a top tier university with a top tier greek system. Ironically, some of the "birds" in my house turned out to be my best friends. This reality applies to every school in the country. South, North, East and West.

If you are a normal looking, non-obnoxious and outgoing kid who has been popular through Junior high and High school, you going to be sought after by most fraternities on most campus.

There is no science to this. It's pretty simple stuff....

PhiGam 07-10-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGirl07 (Post 1678802)

Awesome, I'll probably be rolling in to the party around 11-12.

PhiGam 07-10-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niedermeyer (Post 1678819)
Here's the reality about fraternity rush.

Interestingly, I have found many opinions on it by folks on this board to be a bit of a stretch. Especially posts from those living in the south.

Greeks can't be as selective as many claim simply because there are not that many "super cool" kids to go around. Every house has a few "birds". I was in a top tier house, at a top tier university with a top tier greek system. Ironically, some of the "birds" in my house turned out to be my best friends. This reality applies to every school in the country. South, North, East and West.

If you are a normal looking, non-obnoxious and outgoing kid who has been popular through Junior high and High school, you going to be sought after by most fraternities on most campus.

There is no science to this. It's pretty simple stuff....

Are you the founder of FH?

FSUfiji 07-10-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britbit08 (Post 1678464)
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Brit.

Just like my brother PhiGam said, summer rush parties are a very good way to get a foot in the door early. I am a perfect example because my first summer here(2 summers ago) i went to numerous summer fraternity parties (sigma chi, tke, LXA, TEP, and FIJI of course) and i got a feel for what i wanted and who i felt comfortable with (and i got my bid in the summer) so when fall rush came around i knew where i wanted to go and a good amount of guys were already comfortable with me.

I know many other guys who have done the same thing and are a part of greek as well.

LIke our party we're throwing on saturday is a chance for the freshmen and potential rushees to get a feel for us. overall i would suggest your brother attending summer rush parties, it will on ly help him in the long run.

FSUfiji 07-10-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGirl07 (Post 1678802)

You should def. go! Do you know any of our brothers?

FlaGirl07 07-10-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUfiji (Post 1678866)
You should def. go! Do you know any of our brothers?

Only a couple. I know Mitch from home, and met Chris the other night at Ken's. You guys did a smart thing having your party on Saturday night, because at least 4 -5 are having theirs Friday night.

FSUfiji 07-10-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGirl07 (Post 1678878)
Only a couple. I know Mitch from home, and met Chris the other night at Ken's. You guys did a smart thing having your party on Saturday night, because at least 4 -5 are having theirs Friday night.

Oh ok cool. Yea it was supposed to be friday, but i got it changed to saturday that way we'll have a bigger turn out than we would on friday. It should be awesome as usual 8-)