GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Herff Jones production times? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243003)

PKT4LIFE 03-07-2018 09:31 AM

Didn’t Balfour make jewelry for GLOs long time ago??? I think they made my badge.

DGTess 03-07-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE (Post 2454649)
Didn’t Balfour make jewelry for GLOs long time ago??? I think they made my badge.

Nearly positive they made my initial one. Sadly, it was lost, and my replacement came from JBrandt.

Griffins&Quills 03-07-2018 11:39 AM

We ordered ours around October and got them in January. We weren't offered any engraving beyond the chapter number and member number on the back.

Titchou 03-07-2018 05:45 PM

My original plain Balfour one has my name, chapter and date of initiation on it. My replacement for my diamond that was stolen just has initials,chapter,month and year of initiation.

aephi alum 03-07-2018 09:56 PM

AEPhi currently uses HJ for badges. I honestly don't remember if they were our supplier when I was a collegian *mumble* years ago, but, back in the day, new members' badges always arrived in time for initiation. This is probably in part because we had exactly one option. (Now I think we have two options, 10k or 14k gold. Be still, my heart. :p ) Your initials were engraved on the back, you either bought a chapter guard or you didn't, end of story, no other customization allowed. So the turnaround time was quick.

DaffyKD 03-08-2018 01:03 PM

Balfour was the official jeweler when I was initiated (there were still dinosaurs roaming the earth in those days). Mine had my badge number and chapter on. When I went on the leadership team, I rescued a pin that had pearls (mine was plain) from Ebay. It too had a number and chapter letters. When I checked with National, they said it was from a woman who was initiated 40 years before me.

DaffyKD

APhi2KD 03-08-2018 09:18 PM

Interesting history on why Balfour isn’t still producing badges:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.G....rority_jewelry

NinjaPoodle 03-09-2018 04:01 PM

I remember this too. It was determined to be an inside job.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...s-in-arlington

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2454636)
What ever happened with that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2454631)

AND, remember how Delta Delta Delta had their stockpile stolen in that employee theft a couple years ago? So, there are downsides to keeping a stockpile.

Griffins&Quills 03-09-2018 09:46 PM

I'm not sure the years but I think there was a short period of Balfour badges for us and the numbering system is totally screwed up on those badges. Instead of our normal Chapter-Member Number the Balfour badges are just A-#### and I think I've seen a B-####

ColdInCanada11 03-10-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2454635)

At this point, with the exception of limited-edition badges, I'm not planning on ever ordering a new one again. Buy vintage. The quality has been so cheap that my badge doesn't even feel worth keeping as an heirloom.

I know exactly what you mean, Clemson Girl! These badges and symbols mean so much to us, and I don't think that many badges are made well enough to represent it. Thankfully my Alpha Gam badge seems to look as it should, but it's not necessarily worth the $220 I paid for it. I'm hoping to find a white gold vintage badge eventually, even though I know it will take patience and luck!

FSUZeta 03-10-2018 07:39 PM

My initiation badge was our plain gold version. I couldn’t make up my mind which of the seemingly endless varieties to choose from. Years later I got my turquoise white gold badge from headquarters. I would never buy a new badge. Cheaply made with little attention to detail.

jolene 03-10-2018 11:25 PM

When I got initiated, we weren't given an option. We automatically got the cheapie badge. I dunno if that was due to whoever was in charge of that or what. Some sisters later ordered the nicer badge. I've never gotten around to getting the nice one. I'd prob order one off eBay. I'd rather a sister (me) buy it rather than someone wanting to melt it down for gold and pearls.

AOIILisa 03-14-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills (Post 2454721)
I'm not sure the years but I think there was a short period of Balfour badges for us and the numbering system is totally screwed up on those badges. Instead of our normal Chapter-Member Number the Balfour badges are just A-#### and I think I've seen a B-####

Yep - I have a Balfour badge from 1982 and the number on the back is B-####. One of these days I'm going to have it removed and replaced with my chapter and initials.

I agree with all who say the quality of the recent badges leaves a lot to be desired. We have a special badge since the Panhel National President is an AOII for two years, and a good number of members who ordered that badge had problems with it, mostly the ones who ordered a holder to go with it. The badges came mounted off center in the holder or had asymmetrical stone placement in areas. I've also heard people complaining about losing pearls.

APhi2KD 09-24-2018 11:51 PM

Forgot to update! DD finally got her badge—10 months after initiation, and the diamond shaped badge in the middle is crooked! Sooo disappointing. Can’t imagine how long replacement will take.

Just interested 09-25-2018 12:31 AM

My badge from 1966 is a Balfour and is very special and well made with emeralds and pearls. We ordered our pins prior to initiation (of course in the olden days we pledged in August but weren't initiated until March) I remember when we all clustered around looking at options.

I also loved our pledge pin and 2nd degree pin we wore the the week before initiation. Are pledge pins even worn anymore. In the day, our big sisters allowed us to wear their pin after initiation until our pins arrived which was maybe a month after initiation. Special memories.