GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Not Religious and Interested in Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=126286)

Lilgiant2016 04-26-2012 12:05 AM

Not Religious and Interested in Fraternity Recruitment

I apologize in advance for bringing up the topic, as I have read some posts that have been related to this topic but have still not received an answer to this question. I will be rushing next fall and am excited about Greek Life. I am attending a school that has a large Greek presence (over 50% rush). I already know that as a humanist/agnostic that I would not be welcomed at Kappa Sig and that Sigma Chi goes beyond asking an initiate to uphold Christian Ideals, but are there any other fraternities that require an oath to God (not just MY GOD (as in science or morality in general)? I have looked at all the national websites that are present on campus and seem to find conflicting information. On one hand I see non-discrimination policies, yet many reference God in mottos or creeds. Please understand that I don't in any way disrespect anothers' beliefs but feel it would be a waste of their time to rush them if there is no way I can, in good conscience be a member. In no way do I want to know initiation secrets, but rather, would I be able to take the oath at FIJI or Beta for example without lying, as I will not compromise on a lifetime commitment. I understand that regional differences may apply to whether or not I actually get a bid. Since we only have three days to rush I would concentrate on those places that would consider me eligible for membership based on my beliefs.

Sorry this post is so long. I apologize in advance if this thread causes religious debate (as the other threads did). though from lurking, it seems there is a lot of debate on here anyway, which makes for informative reading.

knight_shadow 04-26-2012 12:12 AM

Welcome to the site.

I have met many, many people in several organizations who are not hardcore (insert religion), but are still active in their GLOs. It's been my experience that (in many cases) the religious aspects are more historical than applied (ex. "We were founded on Christian ideals" rather than "Raise your right hand to God and repeat these scriptures in order to initiate").

I'll defer to some of the IFC-type posters, as that seems like the route you want to go. Good luck.

XAntoftheSkyX 04-26-2012 12:28 AM

K_S is right. A number of fraternities were founded during a time of religious revival. Because of that, rituals and overall imagery may be of a certain religion. While ABC may have things in their official writing that mention God, most chapters are open minded about people from all (or no) faiths into their chapters, provided they meet other requirements.

jazing 04-26-2012 12:44 AM

I will say that while most stress it in their creeds or mottos, It isn't really such a big deal anymore. As for my organization though, I would rather not say. But being that we have remained this way for almost 100 years, it can be pretty hard for others to adjust (which is a reason our chapters have such high % of people in the faith).

You should go and ask the rush chairs of each group, they are the only ones who can truly answer your question.

Lilgiant2016 04-26-2012 12:52 AM

jazing, the only reason that I don't want to ask all the rush chairs is that I don't want to be "that guy". I am afraid if I make a big thing out of this, they won't want to deal with me. I hope all the groups will have summer rush events, so I can ask informally but in general rush is 3 intense nights then we move into houses and get initiated.

I do thank all of you for responding so far.

jazing 04-26-2012 12:57 AM

Never thought of it that way. When I rushed I joined the organization specifically for their religious affiliation.

33girl 04-26-2012 01:07 AM

"Christian ideals" =/= believing Christ is the Messiah.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is just an old-timey way of saying "Be excellent to each other." You don't have to believe Jesus Christ even existed to know that's a good motto to follow in life.

jazing 04-26-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2141541)
"Christian ideals" =/= believing Christ is the Messiah.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is just an old-timey way of saying "Be excellent to each other." You don't have to believe Jesus Christ even existed to know that's a good motto to follow in life.

What is funny is that most of the Christian Ideals are based on Jewish Ideals ...

That is actually a phrase coined to King Hillel.

DubaiSis 04-26-2012 01:10 AM

I think there's a similar issue with sororities, although there are 2 NPC sororities on record as being nonsectarian. I don't know if there are any fraternities who are. But in my case, there is a clearly religious aspect to our ritual that I know for sure some members wouldn't agree with religiously (me for instance, but I wasn't as clear in my agnosticism (?) at 18). I believe the policy for non-Christians is to remain silent during that portion although it was never discussed as far as I know but I don't think the Jewish members of my sorority would be required to recite every bit of our ritual, just as an example.

My suggestion would be to feel out the chapter and not worry about the literal ritual. If they feel a little crispy for you, look elsewhere. Even the fraternities that have a strongly religious background might be a good fit for you based on the actives, the campus, the times, etc. Don't limit your choices based on a 100+ year old ritual. You can take the positive ideals (be a good person, don't be a douche) out of a Christian, Jewish or Hindu prayer without having to vow allegiance to any particular god. But that's just my opinion.

Leslie Anne 04-26-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2141543)
I think there's a similar issue with sororities, although there are 2 NPC sororities on record as being nonsectarian. I don't know if there are any fraternities who are. But in my case, there is a clearly religious aspect to our ritual that I know for sure some members wouldn't agree with religiously (me for instance, but I wasn't as clear in my agnosticism (?) at 18). I believe the policy for non-Christians is to remain silent during that portion although it was never discussed as far as I know but I don't think the Jewish members of my sorority would be required to recite every bit of our ritual, just as an example.

Same here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2141543)
My suggestion would be to feel out the chapter and not worry about the literal ritual. If they feel a little crispy for you, look elsewhere. Even the fraternities that have a strongly religious background might be a good fit for you based on the actives, the campus, the times, etc. Don't limit your choices based on a 100+ year old ritual. You can take the positive ideals (be a good person, don't be a douche) out of a Christian, Jewish or Hindu prayer without having to vow allegiance to any particular god. But that's just my opinion.

But do we really know this for sure?

It's a sticky situation that I don't believe is so easily tossed aside.

Lilgiant2016 04-26-2012 01:18 AM

I agree 33girl, which is why I don't think I will have a problem with most groups. I have tried to google references to religion and specific fraternities, but have only come up with Kappa Sig as a definite requirement and Sigma Chi as most likely a no. I understand the need to keep ritual sacred, but I would hate to be moved in the house and ready to initiate only to be told that my lack of religious beliefs mean I am ineligible.
I consider myself a very moral person and the golden rule isn't counter to my beliefs. I was also raised to be respectful of others' faith since we all need something to believe in throughout our lives. But I couldn't be a Boy Scout when I was a child because they require a belief in God so I wouldn't want to make a false oath for a much more important part of my life.

jazing 04-26-2012 01:19 AM

I think if the chapter is very upfront about their religious ideals, it makes a difference (as most of our chapters are). But if they aren't, then you shouldn't be worried.

From knowing my ritual, there really isn't much someone who isn't Jewish would not understand. Just a lot of the meaning comes from Jewish symbols and beliefs.

Leslie Anne 04-26-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilgiant2016 (Post 2141547)
I agree 33girl, which is why I don't think I will have a problem with most groups. I have tried to google references to religion and specific fraternities, but have only come up with Kappa Sig as a definite requirement and Sigma Chi as most likely a no. I understand the need to keep ritual sacred, but I would hate to be moved in the house and ready to initiate only to be told that my lack of religious beliefs mean I am ineligible.
I consider myself a very moral person and the golden rule isn't counter to my beliefs. I was also raised to be respectful of others' faith since we all need something to believe in throughout our lives. But I couldn't be a Boy Scout when I was a child because they require a belief in God so I wouldn't want to make a false oath for a much more important part of my life.

I don't think you would find yourself in any situation in which you are "ineligible" but you very well may find yourself being "uncomfortable".

Lilgiant2016 04-26-2012 01:27 AM

Uncomfortable I can deal with, but getting kicked out I can't. I have remained silent for the Pledge of Allegience most of my life, so I have no problem being silent with other parts as well.

Thank you again for your responses. I will check in tomorrow after school.

knight_shadow 04-26-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 2141546)
But do we really know this for sure?

I think she meant in general, which is true. I don't have to be a devout Catholic to understand/appreciate the golden rule.