GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chapter Operations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Sorority Houses at Penn State (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245797)

GreekOne 01-28-2019 09:57 PM

Sorority Houses at Penn State

Since just after World War II, sororities have occupied halls with suites in university dormitories. Phi Sigma Sigma just signed a 3 year lease taking over the SAE house. For those who have been involved with House Corporations for their NPC groups, do you think this signals a shift for other chapters? Is is common on campuses for a few NPC chapters to have houses and others not follow suit? The new head of the Greek Affairs team came from IU where the sororities regularly rent houses from fraternities who have lost their charters. Does anyone think this will become the norm at PSU?

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/b...1e8ce943f.html

PittDZ 01-29-2019 12:00 AM

At Pitt, 9 of the 10 chapters have modern, nicely decorated suites in a 10 story historic dorm building. (One chapter may be housed in another dorm across the quad.) Kappa has a chapter house that is located about 8-9 blocks away that used to be near 4-5 of the fraternity houses back in the day. Most of them have since relocated to a fraternity complex know as the Hill houses. Kappa used to share the duplex house with Theta, who used to be a strong house, but somehow lost their charter twice since I was an active back in the 70's. Kappa now occupies the entire house. Having the house was neither an advantage or disadvantage back then. It was a newer, nicer facility, but further from classes in the Pittsburgh winter and I think the members had slightly higher dues. They also had a house mother, and the rest of the chapters did not. I would not think that one chapter having a house would affect the rest of the chapters much, unless their housing capacity is significantly larger or more desirable due to location.

Rod D 01-29-2019 01:10 AM

I'm wonder if the Greek Village at ASU is the future?

https://greekvillage.asu.edu/

GreekOne 01-29-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2464336)
I'm wonder if the Greek Village at ASU is the future?

https://greekvillage.asu.edu/

Penn State's fraternity houses are nestled among single family homes throughout the community. There isn't really a piece of land nearby where this concept would work. If this were to happen, it would be remote which may make it less appealing to the students.

33girl 01-29-2019 09:05 AM

I’m kind of torn about this. On one hand, I’d be happy for the chapters there to get the chance to live in these gorgeous houses. But on the other hand, dues will shoot up, and that will definitely change the composition of the chapters, probably putting them out of reach for many people.

GreekOne 01-29-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2464339)
I’m kind of torn about this. On one hand, I’d be happy for the chapters there to get the chance to live in these gorgeous houses. But on the other hand, dues will shoot up, and that will definitely change the composition of the chapters, probably putting them out of reach for many people.

I was pleasantly surprised when my daughter moved into her house (on another campus). The cost of room and board in a beautiful 100+ person house with staff was thousands of dollars less than living in the dorm with a meal plan. If it can be done elsewhere, it could be done at Penn State. The biggest challenge I see is having no land to build unless they were to tear down existing houses to make room. I home it is the start of something new for PSU sorority women.

I just wonder how likely other sororities will be interested in following Phi Sig's lead. At what point is it necessary to have a house to stay competitive?

shadokat 01-29-2019 01:39 PM

At Bloomsburg (I know it's not comparable, but go with it), Phi Sigma Sigma is the only organization on campus that has a "recognized" sorority house. All of the other groups live in rented houses from landlords. It's much nicer than most of the other houses, but the rules of an official house don't apply as much to the renters. It's been that way for several years. I don't know if it's part of Phi Sig's plans for the future or what the thought is.

*winter* 01-31-2019 04:22 PM

Never thought I'd see the day! Whatever happened to Beta's house, does anyone know?

I went to Slippery Rock, and one chapter had a "house." I use quotes because I'm sure it was NOT. Sanctioned by their Nationals with the parties they had there! They would definitely use it as a selling point during recruitment, from what I heard and saw advertised. I remember seeing COb chalking with "only sorority with a house!" My friend's daughter is a member now, wonder if they still have the house? If they do, her daughter doesn't live there. I will have to ask.

GreekOne 02-01-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *winter* (Post 2464392)
Never thought I'd see the day! Whatever happened to Beta's house, does anyone know?

Beta's house is embroiled in a lawsuit. The university wants it. The Beta alum who donated $8M for renovations thinks he has a legal right to it. There was a caterer operating out of the house last year. Not sure what the connection was to Beta. But, for the most part, it sits vacant.

*winter* 02-01-2019 06:49 PM

That's what I thought. It's such a shame. It's a shame that the guy spent 8 million, only to have it trashed again, over and over. Hopefully some new group that appreciates it will get it.

honeychile 07-26-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2464343)
I was pleasantly surprised when my daughter moved into her house (on another campus). The cost of room and board in a beautiful 100+ person house with staff was thousands of dollars less than living in the dorm with a meal plan. If it can be done elsewhere, it could be done at Penn State. The biggest challenge I see is having no land to build unless they were to tear down existing houses to make room. I home it is the start of something new for PSU sorority women.

I just wonder how likely other sororities will be interested in following Phi Sig's lead. At what point is it necessary to have a house to stay competitive?

Two of my great aunts went to Penn State, and one was a professor there. I have their photo albums, and it shows them at a house (and I forget the name at this moment). The research it did showed that it was a local which became Kappa Alpha Theta. So, there IS a history of sorority houses at PSU, albeit almost 100 years ago!

GreekOne 07-27-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2467917)
Two of my great aunts went to Penn State, and one was a professor there. I have their photo albums, and it shows them at a house (and I forget the name at this moment). The research it did showed that it was a local which became Kappa Alpha Theta. So, there IS a history of sorority houses at PSU, albeit almost 100 years ago!

Yes. There is a stone monument in the middle of campus commemorating where the Theta house stood. The NPC chapters did have houses which they gave up in exchange for dorm floors that the university has provided over the years. The benefit to the NPC chapters was no cost, upkeep, insurance, management etc. The benefit to the university was that they got the very valuable land that they wanted.

Now, many years later, the chapters are wondering if they made the best decision.

PSU's Greek new adviser comes from IU where almost all of the fraternities and sororities have houses. He has managed a process where sororities have taken over the houses left empty by fraternities who get themselves in trouble. I suspect his arrival on PSUs campus and his approach to managing Greek housing is going to impact PSU's housing culture quite a bit.

honeychile 07-29-2019 11:29 PM

Oh, wow! Exactly where is that stone monument? I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at PSU!!

ForeverRoses 09-25-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekOne (Post 2467942)
PSU's Greek new adviser comes from IU where almost all of the fraternities and sororities have houses. He has managed a process where sororities have taken over the houses left empty by fraternities who get themselves in trouble. I suspect his arrival on PSUs campus and his approach to managing Greek housing is going to impact PSU's housing culture quite a bit.

I think the Greek Life Director is from Indiana State, not IU.

GreekOne 09-25-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverRoses (Post 2469957)
I think the Greek Life Director is from Indiana State, not IU.

I am 100% certain he worked at IU-Bloomington. I met him there before he left for Penn State.