GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Largest # of NPC Sorority Colonizations (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227357)

DGDawnD87 03-16-2017 07:22 PM

Largest # of NPC Sorority Colonizations

Hi All-

This is my first post and I have a question.

Which universities have had at least 6 NPC sorority colonizations on a campus at once? I've heard of these but assume there are more:

San Jose State University – 6 chapters in 1948
(1st Theta Pi Alpha, then later in the year 5: Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi and Gamma Phi Beta)

University of Houston – 8 chapters in 1956
(Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu and Zeta Tau Alpha)

University of Richmond - 6 in 1987
(Delta Gamma, Delta Delta Delta, Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Kappa Gama, Theta Pi Alpha and Chi Omega)

Any others?

Thanks for your help :)

ComradesTrue 03-16-2017 10:19 PM

TCU, Baylor, and Wake Forest.

Just interested 03-17-2017 12:48 AM

Furman and maybe UVA??? Texas Tech? I can think of several in the 1950's in Texas. Before the fifties I believe there were only UT, SMU and Southwestern at Georgetown with NPC chapters. Not for sure if they all came on in mass or not. I have a feeling this probably true with other states as well. Great question!

Ag_Sis 03-17-2017 12:54 AM

Texas A&M had 8 sororities colonize in 1975.
DZ, ADPi, Zeta, Kappa, XO, AGD, Alpha Phi, and Phi Mu.

i can sort of understand the mass colonization at A&M because women weren't allowed to enroll until 1963, but mass colonizations look common at other Texas schools too. Everything's bigger in Texas, I guess.

AZTheta 03-17-2017 01:31 AM

Oh! Oh! I knew this b/c I had to learn it when I was a pledge:

University of California at Santa Barbara, seven NPCs colonized in 1950 when the campus opened up to NPC sororities (there were locals prior to this):

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
Chi Omega

APhi4Ever 03-17-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGDawnD87 (Post 2429025)
Hi All-

This is my first post and I have a question.

Which universities have had at least 6 NPC sorority colonizations on a campus at once? I've heard of these but assume there are more:

San Jose State University – 6 chapters in 1948
(1st Theta Pi Alpha, then later in the year 5: Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi and Gamma Phi Beta)

University of Houston – 8 chapters in 1956
(Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu and Zeta Tau Alpha)

University of Richmond - 6 in 1987
(Delta Gamma, Delta Delta Delta, Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Kappa Gama, Theta Pi Alpha and Chi Omega)

Any others?

Thanks for your help :)

There were 10 NPC's that colonized in 1948 at San Jose State: Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Chi Omega, Gamma Phi Beta, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Kappa, and Chi Omega.

FSUZeta 03-17-2017 07:28 AM

DGDawn,

I think you might have meant to type Theta Phi Alpha, one of the 26 NPC sororities, unless there was a local called Theta Pi Alpha that you were referring to.

LaneSig 03-17-2017 08:43 AM

The University of Florida had 11 NPCs colonize in the '48/'49 school year:

Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Zeta Tau Alpha, Sigma Kappa, and Phi Mu.

Western Kentucky University had 6 locals that all affiliated with national organizations in 1965.

Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Kappa Delta, Sigma Kappa, Phi Mu, and Chi Omega. (One of my friends' mother was in the group that affiliated with Sig Kap. She has said how excited everyone was.)

33girl 03-17-2017 09:14 AM

Were the 11 at UF all ground up?

clemsongirl 03-17-2017 09:36 AM

UCLA had four groups charter in 1924, ten in 1925, eight in 1926, and four more in 1927.

UCLA: Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta in 1924
Delta Gamma, Phi Omega Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Zeta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Kappa in 1925
Alpha Delta Theta, Beta Phi Alpha, Pi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Chi Omega, Zeta Tau Alpha, Theta Phi Alpha, Kappa Delta in 1926
Pi Beta Phi, Theta Upsilon, Sigma Delta Tau, and Phi Mu in 1927

Emory University (GA) had nine groups colonize in 1959: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, and Chi Omega.

Interesting thing about UC-Santa Barbara is that Delta Sigma Epsilon (an education sorority) had a chapter there starting in 1925, and then all the NPC orgs came on in 1950. Delta Sigma Epsilon was absorbed by Delta Zeta six years later.

Illinois State had four groups come on in 1973 and four more in 1974: Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta in 1973 and Delta Delta Delta, Zeta Tau Alpha, Pi Beta Phi and Chi Omega in 1974.

oldnorthstate 03-17-2017 10:28 AM

East Carolina University had eight groups colonize to start their Greek system in 1960: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, and Chi Omega.

LaneSig 03-17-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2429059)

I have no idea. I'm thinking that they were. I can't remember if the story I heard was about Florida or another campus. Supposedly, all the groups agreed that they wouldn't install their chapters before a specific day. One of the groups waited until just after midnight on that particular day and initiated their new members so they would be "the first sorority on campus".

I only knew about the Western Kentucky situation due to Mrs. F.

JayhawkAOII 03-17-2017 10:58 AM

Pepperdine also had 8 in 1997.
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Delta Gamma
Delta Delta Delta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa

ForeverRoses 03-17-2017 11:26 AM

Valparaiso also had a big group in 1998- I think they were absorbing locals
Alpha Delta Pi
Gamma Phi Beta
Delta Delta Delta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi

and then two more the next year

FSUZeta 03-17-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2429059)

Yes. That is when women were allowed to attend all the colleges at UF. Up to then women were only allowed to enroll in Florida State College for Women( present day FSU) or UF if FSCW did not offer the program(see end of paragraph). Women teachers had been allowed to take summer classes to further their education, as well as women of a "mature age" ( at least 21 years old) who had completed 60 semester hours from a "reputable" educational institution.

After WWII there were more men wanting to enroll at UF than space to accommodate them, so the legislature opened the Tallahassee Branch of UF on the FSCW campus-this included my dad. In the fall of 1947 the legislature mandated that FSCW (it began as the West Florida Seminary in 1851, became coed in 1856)would be coeducational again and renamed the institution Florida State U.